Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Yossarian had a great travel tip thread called "Just the tip" but I cant find it. Must be in hall of fame but search here sux
    Remember reading it when I was in SLC and not paying attention cuz I drove to all ski destinations

Since I have been an East Coaster ( 12+ years) I always travel with my ski pants, gloves & helmet in my backpack and boots slung over top.
    Its a a bit of a PITA getting on and off planes and I know I am going to brain someone someday with a boot.
    THIS is showing up in all my online adds and insta a lot ove rthe last year and I am considering....
    https://www.syncperformance.com/prod...EaAszvEALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Yossarian had a great travel tip thread called "Just the tip" but I cant find it. Must be in hall of fame but search here sux
    Remember reading it when I was in SLC and not paying attention cuz I drove to all ski destinations
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-The-Tip!-quot

Two carry-on bags for gear

Took two 4-man trips last year - somebody lost something each time. One guy's boots ended up in Edmonton on his way to Revelstoke during our first trip and he ended up having to drive 4 hours round-trip during a storm to pick up his boots that eventually arrived at the airport the next day. Not something I'd wanna get out of the hot tub for.

I use Patagonia's MLC 45L bag for my boots (link below). It's stylish albeit pricey and fits my size 28.5 boots perfectly, as well as my accessories (hats, gloves, a book, etc). Everything else fits in a 30L Patagonia duffel, and both bags get carried on. I'd cry if I had to buy something at a resort because one of my checked bags got lost.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/bl...ers/49305.html

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    In Japan its common to courier skis and its suposed to be dead reliable

you must have bad luck or more likley it was on the BC end
    It was definitely on the BC end, when we dropped our bags at the check-in desk the belt was on standby, so they put our stuff off to the side to be loaded on once it was up and running again. Went to the bar for an hour, then passed by the check-in desks again and noticed our bags still sitting there but the desk we used was now closed, though since the desks on either side were still open for the same flight, we figured it was no big deal. I guess nobody bothered to wonder why 2 bags were sitting there when they closed all the desks up. (JAL only has one flight per day from YVR)

Everything in Japan has been great, Yamato delivered our lost bags to the middle of nowhere within 5 minutes of when they said they would, and sending our bags back to Narita while we did a week in Tokyo was easy and cheap. It's amazing how well everything works when there doesn't seem to be any obvious system in place, clerks just jot seemingly nowhere near enough information down on a post it note and politely shoo you out the door, and magically everything works out perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastgroomers View Post

Took two 4-man trips last year - somebody lost something each time. One guy's boots ended up in Edmonton on his way to Revelstoke during our first trip and he ended up having to drive 4 hours round-trip during a storm to pick up his boots that eventually arrived at the airport the next day. Not something I'd wanna get out of the hot tub for.

I use Patagonia's MLC 45L bag for my boots (link below). It's stylish albeit pricey and fits my size 28.5 boots perfectly, as well as my accessories (hats, gloves, a book, etc). Everything else fits in a 30L Patagonia duffel, and both bags get carried on. I'd cry if I had to buy something at a resort because one of my checked bags got lost.

How do you get away with carrying both the MLC bag and the small duffel as carry on?

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    How do you get away with carrying both the MLC bag and the small duffel as carry on?
    Only done legit of one is crammed under the seat. Nobody should be allowed TWO bags in the overhead unless they paid for TWO seats...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

a crew of guys are going into Burnie today so the last bunch arrive wednesday night and NO boots, fortunately the did show up yesturday but it screwed up a local ski day and buddy gots to wonder if his gear was gona show up in time
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-01-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I loved hop's quote in this thread that he actually wore his ski boots onto planes when he traveled with them. I believe him!

When I was doing regular plane travel for ski trips, including Euro trips, I always gave myself that option by leaving enough room in my carry on bag to accommodate whatever shoes I had on my feet for the trip. If someone were to tell me that my boots wouldn't fit and had to be checked, my plan was to put them on my feet and pack my other shoes. I never once had to do that. Most of the time the ski boots opened the conversation door with the flight crews...

cheers,
    john

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Carry on includes boots and enough ski clothes to get by. Also and change of regular clothes, underwear and basic toiletries. I can at least function if my checked bags go to Cabo.
    This ^^^. Boots, ski pants, a base layer, sox, at least one mid layer will fit in a standard size carryon suitcase. Wear your parka on.

so consider its not just " my stuff shows up on the next flight " cuz that is in retro spect

consider you thinking AT THE TME

" I payed a swhack of money for this week or 2 to ski/hunt/fish, I got no gear and I got no idea if its lost/stolen/gone forever or will be on the morning flight? "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Only done legit of one is crammed under the seat. Nobody should be allowed TWO bags in the overhead unless they paid for TWO seats...
    I wear the duffel like a backpack and put it under the seat in front of me (it fits surprisingly well)

I've done carry on and check in for boots...I've yet to have my stuff lost, but maybe my luck will dry up. I can't get over the amount of really old/bad boots being carried onto airplanes (just got back from SLC).

Quote Originally Posted by MMMSKI View Post
    I can't get over the amount of really old/bad boots being carried onto airplanes (just got back from SLC).
    I know. I want to tell them they'd be better off if the airline lost the boots and they could collect the insurance.

Almost pulled the trigger on that sync roller bag but then realized my boots fit in my rollerboard I already own along with essentials mentioned by hutash so gonna give that a go on way to CO Sat. put everything else in Ski bag.
    {/slung over backpack]

after this trip I say put boots and basic gear in whatever roller-board carry-on you own or can buy cheap.
    I used the string bag/backpack that came with my helmet for it and a waterbottle, book & headphones as my "peronal item."
    Worked like a charm.

Flew from Europe to SFO today. Checked skis in a douchebag and had a separate boot bag with my helmet as a carry on. Worked like a charm.

I love risking my most important and difficult to replace piece of gear with airline baggage handlers.

I carried on boots once. They almost got lost.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastgroomers View Post

I just did a Euro trip packing my boots into the Patagonia black hole 60L, and it worked quite well. Bought it on sale for use as a small weekend bag, but, worked for this. Fit my boots, set of ski clothes, and small essentials, and perfect size for small plane overheads. Backpack straps free the hands to drag my ski bag and large roller through the airport.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/bl...&start=1&sz=24