Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    In which case they gate check it. If it’s an odds game, the possibility of maybe having to gate check vs the possibility of lost luggage from checking at ticketing...clear winner there.

Quote Originally Posted by 5Beder View Post
    10 international ski trips--Chile, Japan, Argentina. Never once carried boots on and never missed a bag. Maybe I'm due for a nightmare.
    20 international ski trips, ski bag was lost twice (returned later, but in the US). Carrying my boots on with hardshell, puffy, gloves/goggles/hat saved the trips.

I can put everything for a ski weekend in my double roller: 1 pair of skis, boots, poles, helmet, gear, clothes... but it ends up being like 53#s...

So I have a small simple boot bag I carry on with a book / headphone / iPad / jacket... Drops the ski bag under 50#...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    In a 6 year stretch of annual trips to Italy, my checked bag was a day late four times and lost forever once.
    F'ing Italians... although the Italian postal service delivered a letter from Germany to me in Rome that only had my name and Roma, Italia. No street address. It was from a German friend who was at the Berlin Wall as it came down and people started coming across. He described the whole scene and grabbed me a piece of the wall. It still gets me choked up... something I will always treasure. So yeah, I love the Italians.

And yes, +24 to carry on boots and essentials.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Boots and ski gear in the carry-on. Street clothes in the checked ski bag.

dakine boot pack bag works very well for this.
    I was thinking my dakine boot bag, but I don’t think there’s any way it would fit in the overhead bin. I have this one https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/tr...-pack-dlx-55l/

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I can put everything for a ski weekend in my double roller: 1 pair of skis, boots, poles, helmet, gear, clothes... but it ends up being like 53#s...

So I have a small simple boot bag I carry on with a book / headphone / iPad / jacket... Drops the ski bag under 50#...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Was also thinking this too. I think I can fit boots, jacket, pants, goggles, base layers in a carry on ( thinking my black hole duffel 45l ) and basically use my dakine fall line roller as my suitcase, also padding my skis in the process.

Lots of great tips, stories, etc in here. Thanks fellas. I got one more week to over think it....

1) Boots can be removed from a boot bag (which carried bare essentials for a day on the hill) to count as a “personal item”.... and the boors & boot bag should fit overhead.

2) In my ski bag I also pack a soft compatible duffle along with my clothes, so I have a bag for my stuff for the duration of the trip
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Carry on includes boots and enough ski clothes to get by. Also and change of regular clothes, underwear and basic toiletries. I can at least function if my checked bags go to Cabo.
    ^^^ As you note, it's easy to carry on boots + clothes you need to ski in. Touring gear would be tough. ^^^

My only question (to the OP) is why is this even a question ???

Multiple strategies as noted if challenged to gate check - to the point of wearing boots onto the plane.

Gate checking would only happen on the last leg (switch to smaller plane) so if pressed, your risk is still lower than checking all the way through.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    ^^^ As you note, it's easy to carry on boots + clothes you need to ski in. Touring gear would be tough. ^^^
    I've found renting quality touring gear plus avy gear/crampons/ropes straightforward in France and Switzerland. Duplicating the fit of my boots with a bunch of punches and a month of break-in time would be nearly impossible.

Has anyone ever had their gate checked bag get lost? If you can get past the initial screening (or check in via automatic kiosk), you should be fine.

In my experience, ski boots just don't fit very well inside a bag from a volume perspective. It's way more space-efficient to just carry them on loosely as a personal item, socks, beanie, etc, stuffed inside.

So my wife and my strategy is similar to HHTele's
    40L touring pack with softgoods* as carry on (gate checked only when absolutely necessary)
    ski boots as personal item
    Roller ski bag = hardgoods

Depending on how many skis we need and how much extra gear for climbing (glacier gear, rope, rack, etc), sometimes it's one roller with both our skis + one duffel and sometimes it's just two roller bags. Occasionally, it's two roller bags + a duffel. Sometimes, if we're really overweight, we try to carry the boots on as a 3rd item with the idea that if we're really stopped at the gate, we'll just put them on. Never happened to me personally but happened to my mom once -- she sat down to put her ski boots on and a different gate agent walked over and told her she could just get on the plane.

*What gets packed into the carry-on bag represents a balance of what's most important to the trip and what's densest -- e.g., I might choose to carry on my rope if I'm going somewhere with lots of ski shops and having trouble getting my checked bag under the weight limit.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 02-21-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Not boots-related but not thread worthy.

Where do ya'll keep your helmets? Strapped onto your carry-on or in your stowed luggage? I've found helmets can be a real PITA when placing a bag in the overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Where do ya'll keep your helmets? Strapped onto your carry-on or in your stowed luggage? I've found helmets can be a real PITA when placing a bag in the overhead.
    Depends on how big my pack going onto the plane is, what else is inside, and where we're going. Sometimes a helmet fits alright at the top of the pack when it's stuffed with a jacket; else I put it in the stowed luggage also stuffed with non-essential softgoods and wrapped in something else soft, if possible (especially if it's my light touring helmet). Ultimately, it's usually not unreasonable to buy a new helmet compared to boots or even outerwear.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I pretty much always carry on my boots and beacon if touring. Everything else can be rented as they aren't as critical. I have packed alpine boots in my carry on, and carried touring boots as my "personal item" as well. I have never lost ski luggage yet, but I know it is just a matter of time.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Am I misunderstanding the question or...shouldn't t-the-e PM Rontele...or EpicSki?

What the hell is going on here???
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Am I misunderstanding the question or...shouldn't t-the-e PM Rontele...or EpicSki?

What the hell is going on here???
    Naturally my first action was a well crafted PM to Rontele, he had some great insight but then went on a wild tangent about only skiing in red boots with dual go pro mounts so you can get better footy whilst riding switch to the road. Also easier to catch pick pockets.

Never been on epic ski, but Greg from AlpineZone pm’d and said bringing ski boots on as a carry on was STRICTLY VERBOTEN.

I usually fly with a Dakine double roller bag...the issue is bag weight and then 2 skis which add weight so 50# gets tough with more gear.

I carry boots on, but connect booster/powerstrap then toss them
    Over the top of my 40L pack (think racer kids) so the boots hang to either side of the bag. That allows me then to also take my computer bag as a carry on.

I then pack one days worth of ski clothing (outwear, thermals, gloves, socks goggles) as well as my helmet which goes in upside down at the bottom of the pack so I can fill it up with non ski clothing. Remainder of non ski clothing (if any bc I try to use/find a washing machine) goes in the ski bag. Beacon and other “tech”, hats or maybe a layer does into the computer bag.

On the way home boots go into the ski bag bc I don’t want to deal with them if I don’t have to.

A few weeks ago I successfully got my toe under the scale and lowered the weight...guy behind me laughed his ass off...a known trick but becoming harder and harder to do

Name:  C4308B55-817A-4DEE-A189-E3093D007C92.jpeg
Views: 632
Size:  449.6 KB

I feel ya on the dakine bag. Just the bag and boards add up to almost 50 lbs. I'm gonna have to get a smaller dakine bag.

I was just walking through SLC and couldn't believe the amount of folks carrying around tele boots... it was shocking

Just spent the only 2 epic powder days we got of a 2 week trip to Japan in full rental gear, skis, boots, jacket, pants, helmet, etc. after the JAL agent neglected to actually put my bags on the conveyor at check-in.

Carry on as much as possible from now on for me.

In Japan its common to courier skis and its suposed to be dead reliable

you must have bad luck or more likley it was on the BC end

If I were to lose my AT boots and pwrwraps it would be a bunch of searching for "the boot" it would easily cost > 1K in money/hardware/travel/hassles and probably some pain to replace them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

On recent trip to Japan carried on snowboard and ski boots in a boot bag. Portland to Vancouver: gate check. Vancouver to Tokyo carried on and easily fit in overhead bin.

When we got to Narita used Black Cat luggage service to deliver boot bag, ski bag and bag with ski clothes to our resort destination. All three bags were waiting there when we arrived.

What do you usually do with helmets?

I‘m on an int‘l flight to SFO. There would be enough room in my ski roller, but I fear they might drop it and damage my helmet. Wrap it around my backpack w/ the boots?

Quote Originally Posted by snowtastic View Post
    What do you usually do with helmets?

I‘m on an int‘l flight to SFO. There would be enough room in my ski roller, but I fear they might drop it and damage my helmet. Wrap it around my backpack w/ the boots?
    Strap it to your carry on back pack.

My helmet usually goes in my ski bag. If it should get lost, I would simple ski without a one. It's not like many of us haven't skied without a helmet for many years. My last trip to tour in the Dolomites I didn't even pack a helmet...oh the horrors�� I knew I was gonna die, but by some miracle I didnt.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Good luck with that. Over the past forty years I've carried on things countless times way bigger than stuff I saw others forced to gate check flying pretty recently. Been more than once on different airlines, regular size jets too. If you're flying through major hubs and not flying first class, dollars for donuts, they're eventually gonna tell you you can't bring it on if it doesn't fit COMPLETELY in that fucking box thing..
    This has never happened to me. I bring a 60l backpack that is narrow and wide and def bigger than a rollly bag, but as long as it's on my back nobody has ever looked twice. Can always fit it in overhead if packed correctly. Gate agents look for big rolling bags, if it fits on your back and isn't protruding over your shoulders like a tall hiking pack you will always be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk