Want to Rent/Borrow: BCA Canister in SLC

Sort of a long shot, but flying to SLC for a ski trip with a buddy 2/28-3/3. We're planning on skiing 3 days inbounds and doing a day tour. I was planning on bringing my airbag pack, but know that it's hit or miss to fly with a canister and an expensive gamble. I've heard that there are places you can rent these. I've called Wasatch Touring and Skimo.co, but no luck and they didn't have any other suggestions. Any locals that could rent/loan one out for a day and/or give me any leads for finding a rental in town?

I will probably ship mine ahead of time if I don't get any hits.

Seth

I have good luck flying with BCA canister - empty. Just unscrew the head from the canister which will let the TSA look in the empty cylinder - no different from a hydro flask. Print out the travel documentation from the BCA website as well as backup. Carry on cylinder, head, pack and documentation and you should be fine especially in a airport lake SLC which sees a lot of skiers. I just did a trip to Revelstoke area and security didn’t even pull my pack/cyclinder for inspection in Denver or Calgary.

Great info - thanks. That would certainly be less hassle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Still gotta get it filled. Not always easy on the way to the hill.

BCA has a list of places that fill on the website, just call step ahead of time to confirm.

Bca mailed be a cylinder to my hotel for me. This was Canada mind. And then I mailed it back. Just paid shipping. Call them.

Thanks all. CaliBrit - I'll definitely check with them on the mail option.

Looking at the info on the website it looks like traveling with a canister is definitely a valid option if the others fall through. Shouldn't have any trouble finding time to fill a tank.

Seth

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    go down to the l9/2tracks millcreek store and they'll fill er or we probably has one to rent
    im in kaslo and maybe home thurs and work fri
    or may just stay Canadian for a while
    eh
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    go down to the l9/2tracks millcreek store and they'll fill er or we probably has one to rent
    im in kaslo and maybe home thurs and work fri
    or may just stay Canadian for a while
    eh
    Thanks! I'll see where it is in relation to where we are staying and try to drop it off there for a refill.

Seth