Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast

Very Bad News on Climate

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    i'm going back to researching dropping a corvette engine into my solstice
    This is the skougiest thing you’ve ever said. Golf clap.

Paging Bobby Stainless to the white courtesy phone.

alright, you may now continue to direct your insults at me if you wish; i'm going back to researching dropping a corvette engine into my solstice
    No more solstice due to climate change.

over the past few years growing seasons in some areas have been shorter because of cooler springs.
    See anything wrong with this statement?

Well it is snowing in Montana today so Global Warming is fake.

But it's unlikely that we'll see a return to the extreme cold from centuries ago, researchers reported in a new study. Since the Maunder Minimum, global average temperatures have been on the rise, driven by climate change. Though a new decades-long dip in solar radiation could slow global warming somewhat, it wouldn't be by much, the researchers' simulations demonstrated. And by the end of the incoming cooling period, temperatures would have bounced back from the temporary cooldown.
    So at least we have that going for us, whatever that really is.

I had lunch with my wife’s uncle and he told me about the organization he founded about methanol

https://www.methanol.org

Guy is in his 70’s and knows his shit, trains pilots to do aerobatic formation maneuvers, really sharp.

I won’t get into it but ethanol is the devil and methanol is good (although toxic). Corns subsidies are destroying the earth.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I had lunch with my wife’s uncle and he told me about the organization he founded about methanol

Guy is in his 70’s and knows his shit, trains pilots to do aerobatic formation maneuvers, really sharp.

I won’t get into it but ethanol is the devil and methanol is good (although toxic). Corns subsidies are destroying the earth.

^^^this x 69 bajillion

I have been trying to spread the gospel about ethanol.

But American Ethanol is hudge and evil. They're working hard on shoving E15 down our throats.

Once evaporative emissions are factored in, straight gas is actually about 2% less on missions vs E10.

Cross post to the Subsidies for Farmers in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    ^^^this x 69 bajillion

I have been trying to spread the gospel about ethanol.

But American Ethanol is hudge and evil. They're working hard on shoving E15 down our throats.

Once evaporative emissions are factored in, straight gas is actually about 2% less on missions vs E10.
    He even got into the pollution from the diurnal emissions from fuel tanks.

It takes more energy to make ethanol than you get out of it.

Eye opening but angering how fucked we are from the corn lobbyists and subsidies.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

Ethanol also increases the mobility of dissolved fuel contaminates like BTEX (benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene) resulting in larger groundwater contaminant plumes following a fuel release from underground storage tanks, etc.

I can't wait for Trump to bring back LEADED gas....
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

haha right next to the new coal mines
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Clean coal

hey here's some more fucking fucks! love me some bumpkin republicans.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/...bill-vote.html

Oregon Republican senators have left the Capitol and scattered in various directions outside the state in order to avoid being rounded up by troopers for a high-profile climate bill vote scheduled today.
    “Protesting cap-and-trade by walking out today represents our constituency and exactly how we should be doing our job,” Senate Republican Leader Herman Baertschiger Jr., of Grants Pass, said in a written statement Thursday morning. “We have endured threats of arrest, fines, and pulling community project funds from the governor, Senate president and majority leader. We will not stand by and be bullied by the majority party any longer."

Reached just after 7 a.m. Thursday, Sen. Cliff Bentz of Ontario said he was on his way out of the state. "In a few moments, I will not be in Oregon,” said Bentz, who spent most of Wednesday meeting with Gov. Kate Brown’s staff in an effort to negotiate changes to the carbon cap-and-trade plan, House Bill 2020.
    Bentz said Republicans’ top concerns included that the bill would not do enough to protect dozens of “energy intensive, trade-exposed” businesses in Oregon, such as a cement plant in his district, from higher costs not imposed on the competition in other places such as China. Bentz said the negotiations ended around 8 p.m. Wednesday, when it became clear Democratic legislative leaders would not agree to changes sought by Senate Republicans.
    Passing the Senate is the final hurdle for the bill, which has already passed the Oregon House and has the governor’s support.
    When Republicans failed to show up on the Senate floor for an 11 a.m. session, Senate President Peter Courtney of Salem asked the sergeant at arms to search the Capitol for the missing lawmakers. That search proved fruitless.
    In response to the walkout, Senate President Peter Courtney formally requested Democratic Gov. Kate Brown to dispatch Oregon State Police troopers to round up the missing Republican Senators.
    Brown quickly granted that request. “It is absolutely unacceptable that the Senate Republicans would turn their back on their constituents who they are honor-bound to represent here in this building,” she said in a statement. "They need to return and do the jobs they were elected to do.”

Democrats also announced they would fine the missing lawmakers $500 per day if they don’t show up at the Capitol by 11 a.m. Friday. The money would be deducted from their salary and per diem.
    “The Senate Republicans’ walkout is a slap in the face to all hard-working Oregonians, particularly to those in their districts,” said Sen. Ginny Burdick, D-Portland. “The taxpayers are paying them to do a job for their constituents and they are not doing that job.”
    Democrats hold a supermajority in both chambers of the Oregon Legislature but they still need Republicans to achieve the quorum necessary to conduct business, which is 20 members in the Senate.
    For Courtney, a veteran lawmaker who has served as President of the Senate since 2003, the political standoff was visibly stressful.
    “This is the saddest day of my legislative life," he said. "Pure and simple, my heart is broken.”
    Addressing the missing Republicans, who may have been watching on the live feed on the legislature’s website, he said: "I beg and beseech my fellow legislators to come to the floor. If you’re mad, take it out on me. Come at me. Don’t do this to the people of Oregon.”

Oregon Republican senator threatens state troopers, warning them to ‘come heavily armed’

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/...-troopers.html

Cap and Trade has always seemed like a scam to me. Why not just reduce emissions, and not make emissions a commodity buying and selling business...

R's walking out on their job, complete spineless cunts, like most of the Orange One supporters here.

yeah, i am not discussing cap and trade, but spineless fucks running out of the state

Cap and Trade has always seemed like a scam to me. Why not just reduce emissions, and not make emissions a commodity buying and selling business...
    It puts a price on pollution, which we've learned does have a cost to clean up/deal with. The idea/hope is that with the revenue generated by the commodity sales, the government can help fund more Earth-friendly solutions while at the same time causing high CO2 generating products to be more expensive and thus less desirable to both consumers and manufacturers.

Simply 'reduce emissions?' Sure, that's cool too, but how?

First and easiest is to say fuck you to auto manufacturers. Minimum fuel mileage standards at 30+ mpg. Tax the shit out of V8's, or anything over 2.5L

First and easiest is to say fuck you to auto manufacturers. Minimum fuel mileage standards at 30+ mpg. Tax the shit out of V8's, or anything over 2.5L
    Are we also going to set a max limit on carbon footrprint allowed to go in towards the construction of EVs, Hybrids, and the retirement and disposal of the battery chemicals?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Are we also going to set a max limit on carbon footrprint allowed to go in towards the construction of EVs, Hybrids, and the retirement and disposal of the battery chemicals?
    Not yet, because once created the emissions these vehicles generate decreases with time as the power grid gets greener. Start pushing everyone to the better thing, and then improve it from there.

EV manufacturing being a huge polluter is likely a Chinese hoax though.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Not yet, because once created the emissions these vehicles generate decreases with time as the power grid gets greener. Start pushing everyone to the better thing, and then improve it from there.

EV manufacturing being a huge polluter is likely a Chinese hoax though.
    I get that we need to subsidize the new technology to help adoption. However, I do also think that if we're going to require gas vehicles to be practical in the form of engine size limits and MPG minimums, we need to also require EVs to also be practical.. i.e. no luxury or performance options that grossly inflate the footprint.. Otherwise we're open to valid cries of hypocrisy.
    Last edited by SumJongGuy; 06-21-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Unfortunately, money usually wins...

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Huh?

Those who oppose electric cars like to say that electric cars create more emissions during manufacturing than conventional cars do. And you know what? They’re right! The UCS found that “Manufacturing a midsized EV with an 84-mile range results in about 15% more emissions than manufacturing an equivalent gasoline vehicle. For larger, longer-range EVs that travel more than 250 miles per charge, the manufacturing emissions can be as much as 68% higher.”...

Battery electric cars make up for their higher manufacturing emissions within eighteen months of driving — shorter range models can offset the extra emissions within 6 months — and continue to outperform gasoline cars until the end of their lives.”...

When either a conventional car or an electric car reaches the end of its useful life, both require about the same amount of energy to dispose of. But electric car batteries can be repurposed for other non-automotive uses like residential and commercial electrical storage, or the materials inside can be recycled for new batteries or other uses, which means the batteries will continue to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide going into the atmosphere long after the car they started out powering is no longer on the road. It’s been said that 95-99% of the material in EV batteries can be recycled. Tesla plans to take back batteries, take them apart, and use the materials to create new batteries all in the same factory. Well-to-wheel emissions studies pretty much never take this reuse or recycling into account.
    https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/19...missions-myth/

What are we going to do about the roughly 50 million gas and oil burning furnaces in this country, not to mention those in the rest of the world?
    And let's hope Facebook's digital currency never takes off because if it does there won't be enough electricity for anything else besides their servers.

Furnaces only last 16-20 years. As they wear out we need to replace them with heat pumps and electricity. Done.

^^^OK but I'm still going to use fire to toast marshmallows and grill steaks