Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Should my next boot be an AT boot?

I'm looking at new boots. I'll survive until the end of the season in my well used Full Tilt First Chairs, probably buy next fall. I'm a skinning jong, but, want to leave that option open now that I'm spending money. Is there an all around boot good for me, that would be primarily an inbounds alpine boot. Are they stiff enough for that?

Tecnica Cochise 130
    crab in my shoe mouth

There a loads of boots like this. Even Lange makes a touring boot these days.

Full Tilt First Chair 10 has a 120 flex rating. Plenty of AT boots have that stiffness (^^^and more).

My Atomic Hawx XTD 130s are like 90% of the power of my Dalbello Scorpions. The Full Tilt First Chairs I had were like 80% of the power of the Scorpions, so yes, there are AT boots that are stiff enough for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

no that is the wider shell than what you have (102 vs99)

Assuming you like the feel of a 3 prt boot, I would look at Dalbello lupo line up.

skis well. med to narrow fits avail, 3 prt design, stiff enough for what you want

Cool, thanks.

I’m in a similar search and have it almost narrowed down to 2.

Fischer Ranger Free 130.

Tecnica Cochise 130.

I’m still using and loving my BD Factor 130’s but have had to replace the walk mode axle twice recently.

I would say it might depend on how much you are gona ski and where ? 8-10 years ago i went with a compromise boot cuz I wasn't sure, but from there it just kind of snowballed to where I have ridiculous amounts of gear for AT/alpine/tele
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Something like the Lupo HD, that is slated to come out next year may be a good option for you. Similar last to your current boots. A polyurethane clog, which I believe is the material used for the First Chairs (could be wrong). And a three piece shell similar to your FT's. It's also got dynafit inserts, and a walk mode for touring, plus you can pull the tongue out to increase your ROM. I am looking for a boot in this category as well, and was pretty stoked about Nordica's Strider, until I saw this new Lupo model. As an aside if I remember correctly the Lupo HD shares its last with the Lupo AX series, so it will be a 100mm boot instead of the 99 on your FT's.

Maybe look at Roxa R3 line, very similar to Full Tilt in design. Similar on paper 99mm last, but don’t know how it fits in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I would say it might depend on how much you are gona ski and where ? 8-10 years ago i went with a compromise boot cuz I wasn't sure, but from there it just kind of snowballed to where I have ridiculous amounts of gear for AT/alpine/tele
    If some m-series jong showed up here and said "I don't know how to skin but should I buy an AT boot?" they'd be incinerated with no hesitation, but 33,000 posts buys you a lot of cred.

The Lupo 130 C skis close enough to the Krypton 2 that I'm satisfied using it all the time.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

^ we can all imagine the beautiful hi jinx that skinning Benny will get into and want to encourage him down this path...

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Well, yeah, but, just starting here. Who knows. If I lived in the mountains, this would have happened a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Sure. And also the Dalbello Lupo if you like that kind of boot.

I just switched to 130 flex Lange hybrid resort/touring boots. They feel about like 130 flex Langes.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

But to be clear, these aren't touring boots.

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    But to be clear, these aren't touring boots.
    Yes, the marketing people at the boot companies make a distinction between these hybrid boots and their dedicated AT only boots. But let's not get pedantic about the marketing-speak.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

And of course, we can't forget the alpine binding compatibility issue (and the possibility of having to redrill for new binders, depending on soles).

WTR seems to be on the way out, so Grip walk would seem to be a plus, or at a minimum alpine soles with Dynafit fottinge. .

I still can't figure out the Grip Walk compatibility thing.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

c'mon guys it's Benny, we have to think a little bit outside the box. which boot has the walk mode best appropriate for ballroom dancing? which soles are quietest, to aid in sneaking away with breakfast buffet muffins?

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    ^ we can all imagine the beautiful hi jinx that skinning Benny will get into and want to encourage him down this path...
    I'm amazed it took this long for him to give up on chairlifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Yes, the marketing people at the boot companies make a distinction between these hybrid boots and their dedicated AT only boots. But let's not get pedantic about the marketing-speak.
    Huh? I think it's the exact opposite. We see the distinction, while companies in their marketing don't make it clear which is which, they are happy to keep customers a little confused about their lineup, and they love it when some gaper buys a new pair of boots that ski exactly like their old boots and happen to have a tech toe they'll never use.

This all feels familiar, isn't this like the fifth year in a row Benny has pretended he was about to get into touring?

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post

This all feels familiar, isn't this like the fifth year in a row Benny has pretended he was about to get into touring?
    "If you wait until next year you'll be one year younger when you didn't go" Warren Miller
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Bunny, save your Social Security check and just unbuckle the top buckle on your FT's and loosen the velcro strap. I've toured 6 hrs in a day this way. The FT's esp. the Drop Kick are as light or lighter than most of the "touring" boots you'd buy.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I’ve never had a problem unloading in my lupo c ti. Fit is the same as my full tilt (after I installed cuff spoilers to give the boot the same forward lean as my ft). Skis a bit stiffer than the ft and works fine in my solly sth or any pintech touring binding