Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The Ranch
    Posts
    3,652

    Stolen skis alert

    Just got 5 pairs of skis jacked off my roof at the baymont in Frisco, I pulled in around 11pm last night and thought I locked the rack but I must not have. Anywho 183 volkl katanas, 170ish Rossi saffron 7s, 2 pairs of kids Fischer twin tips and a kids pair of volkls. If you see anyone carrying 5 pairs of skis around that resembles that shoot me a PM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,848
    Humans are doomed

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,737
    Fuck thatís lame. Stealing kids skis has to be a record low


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Just got 5 pairs of skis jacked off my roof at the baymont in Frisco, I pulled in around 11pm last night and thought I locked the rack but I must not have. Anywho 183 volkl katanas, 170ish Rossi saffron 7s, 2 pairs of kids Fischer twin tips and a kids pair of volkls. If you see anyone carrying 5 pairs of skis around that resembles that shoot me a PM
    Or just shoot the guy.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    8,797
    ....or girl
    ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.Ē
    ― Milton Friedman

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    1,234
    If your coming through Park City I can probably hook you up with some kids race skis for the rest of the season? Sorry you had this happen.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Warm parts of the St. Vrain
    Posts
    1,553
    Any chance they'd be dumb enough to try to move them at Recycle Sports or Ridden?

    and damn. sorry about the skis.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    The Ranch
    Posts
    3,652
    Thanks for the sympathy all, Iíll check those shops and we are going shopping for some skis now.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Thanks for the sympathy all, Iíll check those shops and we are going shopping for some skis now.
    I have some 100cm kids skis with bindings that my boy won't be skiing for a year or two. You can use them if that would help.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    4,332
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I have some 100cm kids skis with bindings that my boy won't be skiing for a year or two. You can use them if that would help.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Nice gesture.. Gear swap kids gear thread might have some too. I gave all my outgrown kids gear to sitzmark last month.

    As for ski racks. Probably actually better that it was unlocked. Leaving them out there in a locked rack, here's what can happen. They tear the whole rack off skis and all leaving your car pretty badly damaged when you leave skis on a rack in plain sight overnight.. Pull up in a pick up truck with prybar, tear the whole rack off, and toss it in the back of the truck while driving off. Takes about 15 seconds..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sierra Foothills
    Posts
    500
    ^Not from experience from either the taker or taken I hope...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    208 State
    Posts
    1,999
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Or just shoot the guy.
    ^^^ this

    Ski thieves deserve to have their jugulars cut with a dirty rusty ski edge

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Warm parts of the St. Vrain
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Nice gesture.. Gear swap kids gear thread might have some too. I gave all my outgrown kids gear to sitzmark last month.

    As for ski racks. Probably actually better that it was unlocked. Leaving them out there in a locked rack, here's what can happen. They tear the whole rack off skis and all leaving your car pretty badly damaged when you leave skis on a rack in plain sight overnight.. Pull up in a pick up truck with prybar, tear the whole rack off, and toss it in the back of the truck while driving off. Takes about 15 seconds..

    Well, good thing he wasn't driving. What they do then is surround your car with tuned up AWD turbos. Then they do this harpoon thing into the windshield with a line and send a guy on to your car. He then takes the skis from the rack but yeah, if its locked, he has a pry bar on him and will do what's necessary. He bails on to the tailing car and, see ya.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    4,332
    ^^^That's a much greater risk in Australia or New Zealand.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    4,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    ^Not from experience from either the taker or taken I hope...
    It's not a lot different than leaving valuables in plain sight inside a locked car overnight. They'll bust your shit up to get what they can see. Ski box, not so much, but nice skis on a rack out in the parking lot overnight? About as safe as an iPhone 10 sitting on your dash board still turned on..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    BZN
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Well, good thing he wasn't driving. What they do then is surround your car with tuned up AWD turbos. Then they do this harpoon thing into the windshield with a line and send a guy on to your car. He then takes the skis from the rack but yeah, if its locked, he has a pry bar on him and will do what's necessary. He bails on to the tailing car and, see ya.
    Maybe I've just had the good fortune to live in the right places, but that sounds like a good way to get shot in the face.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    305
    I always wondered if rooftop cargo box itself is a target for theft.

    Itís expensive and something expensive might be inside... I heard those keys are generic and keys from another box can open another box. Is that true?

    Is it easy to steal these boxes? Iím just wondering because I am thinking about getting one.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,093
    Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    I always wondered if rooftop cargo box itself is a target for theft.

    It’s expensive and something expensive might be inside... I heard those keys are generic and keys from another box can open another box. Is that true?

    Is it easy to steal these boxes? I’m just wondering because I am thinking about getting one.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I had two stolen when I lived in Brooklyn.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    10,973
    And your tent after you cleaned it. ^^
    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    4,332
    Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    I always wondered if rooftop cargo box itself is a target for theft.

    It’s expensive and something expensive might be inside... I heard those keys are generic and keys from another box can open another box. Is that true?

    Is it easy to steal these boxes? I’m just wondering because I am thinking about getting one.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

    Having valuables in plain sight, even in a locked car is riskier than having them hidden out of plain sight. I leave skis in the ski box all winter. My ski box is pretty old faded plastic, and covered in stickers. A brand new one would probably be a more attractive target.
    The keys are not generic, but a lock cores and key kit comes with a skeleton key that will open any of that same brand across several years and models.. But my regular key won't open your ski box.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    none
    Posts
    6,306
    If youíre heading up to the RFV, I certainly would have skis for you and your wife. Kids might be close.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    I always wondered if rooftop cargo box itself is a target for theft.

    Itís expensive and something expensive might be inside... I heard those keys are generic and keys from another box can open another box. Is that true?

    Is it easy to steal these boxes? Iím just wondering because I am thinking about getting one.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thule, Yakima and other boxes that use say, Thule keys, are numbered. So a 37 key opens a 37 lock.I have , not a 37, but have several Thule accessories. If you have the right key for the lock, you can open it. I am sure if you had no issues about making a pile of noise, a crowbar would easily shred the thin plastic of a typical ski box, but in 20 ears of using them, I have never had an issue. But I am in Canada.

    Donít ask me about forgetting you have a box on the roof and driving into an underground parking garage, box on top, with your kid and three teammates in the car....Gorilla tape, box in van to get back out, and kids with a story to tell their parents for decades....


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    305
    Thanks for the info. Now that I have a baby, I like to move my boards from inside my car to the box above...


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    10,778
    Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    Thule, Yakima and other boxes that use say, Thule keys, are numbered. So a 37 key opens a 37 lock.I have , not a 37, but have several Thule accessories. If you have the right key for the lock, you can open it. I am sure if you had no issues about making a pile of noise, a crowbar would easily shred the thin plastic of a typical ski box, but in 20 ears of using them, I have never had an issue. But I am in Canada.

    Donít ask me about forgetting you have a box on the roof and driving into an underground parking garage, box on top, with your kid and three teammates in the car....Gorilla tape, box in van to get back out, and kids with a story to tell their parents for decades....


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    Heh...yeah. When I was driving long haul I learned there was only like 10 freightliner keys, so sometimes a guy would lock his keys in the truck and have to do the awful door to door knock at every freightliner in the truckstop trying everyoneís keys until he found a match. Good stuff.

    I hope these get found and the jackers do actual time. Fuck ski thieves.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,212
    Ooooof sorry. Highly unlikely those skis are ever seen again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •