Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stolen skis alert

Just got 5 pairs of skis jacked off my roof at the baymont in Frisco, I pulled in around 11pm last night and thought I locked the rack but I must not have. Anywho 183 volkl katanas, 170ish Rossi saffron 7s, 2 pairs of kids Fischer twin tips and a kids pair of volkls. If you see anyone carrying 5 pairs of skis around that resembles that shoot me a PM

Humans are doomed

Fuck that’s lame. Stealing kids skis has to be a record low

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Just got 5 pairs of skis jacked off my roof at the baymont in Frisco, I pulled in around 11pm last night and thought I locked the rack but I must not have. Anywho 183 volkl katanas, 170ish Rossi saffron 7s, 2 pairs of kids Fischer twin tips and a kids pair of volkls. If you see anyone carrying 5 pairs of skis around that resembles that shoot me a PM
    Or just shoot the guy.

....or girl
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

If your coming through Park City I can probably hook you up with some kids race skis for the rest of the season? Sorry you had this happen.

Any chance they'd be dumb enough to try to move them at Recycle Sports or Ridden?

and damn. sorry about the skis.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Thanks for the sympathy all, I’ll check those shops and we are going shopping for some skis now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski View Post
    Thanks for the sympathy all, I’ll check those shops and we are going shopping for some skis now.
    I have some 100cm kids skis with bindings that my boy won't be skiing for a year or two. You can use them if that would help.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I have some 100cm kids skis with bindings that my boy won't be skiing for a year or two. You can use them if that would help.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Nice gesture.. Gear swap kids gear thread might have some too. I gave all my outgrown kids gear to sitzmark last month.

As for ski racks. Probably actually better that it was unlocked. Leaving them out there in a locked rack, here's what can happen. They tear the whole rack off skis and all leaving your car pretty badly damaged when you leave skis on a rack in plain sight overnight.. Pull up in a pick up truck with prybar, tear the whole rack off, and toss it in the back of the truck while driving off. Takes about 15 seconds..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

^Not from experience from either the taker or taken I hope...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Or just shoot the guy.
    ^^^ this

Ski thieves deserve to have their jugulars cut with a dirty rusty ski edge

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Nice gesture.. Gear swap kids gear thread might have some too. I gave all my outgrown kids gear to sitzmark last month.

As for ski racks. Probably actually better that it was unlocked. Leaving them out there in a locked rack, here's what can happen. They tear the whole rack off skis and all leaving your car pretty badly damaged when you leave skis on a rack in plain sight overnight.. Pull up in a pick up truck with prybar, tear the whole rack off, and toss it in the back of the truck while driving off. Takes about 15 seconds..

Well, good thing he wasn't driving. What they do then is surround your car with tuned up AWD turbos. Then they do this harpoon thing into the windshield with a line and send a guy on to your car. He then takes the skis from the rack but yeah, if its locked, he has a pry bar on him and will do what's necessary. He bails on to the tailing car and, see ya.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

^^^That's a much greater risk in Australia or New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    ^Not from experience from either the taker or taken I hope...
    It's not a lot different than leaving valuables in plain sight inside a locked car overnight. They'll bust your shit up to get what they can see. Ski box, not so much, but nice skis on a rack out in the parking lot overnight? About as safe as an iPhone 10 sitting on your dash board still turned on..

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Well, good thing he wasn't driving. What they do then is surround your car with tuned up AWD turbos. Then they do this harpoon thing into the windshield with a line and send a guy on to your car. He then takes the skis from the rack but yeah, if its locked, he has a pry bar on him and will do what's necessary. He bails on to the tailing car and, see ya.
    Maybe I've just had the good fortune to live in the right places, but that sounds like a good way to get shot in the face.

I always wondered if rooftop cargo box itself is a target for theft.

It’s expensive and something expensive might be inside... I heard those keys are generic and keys from another box can open another box. Is that true?

Is it easy to steal these boxes? I’m just wondering because I am thinking about getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post

It’s expensive and something expensive might be inside... I heard those keys are generic and keys from another box can open another box. Is that true?

Is it easy to steal these boxes? I’m just wondering because I am thinking about getting one.

I had two stolen when I lived in Brooklyn.

And your tent after you cleaned it. ^^
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Having valuables in plain sight, even in a locked car is riskier than having them hidden out of plain sight. I leave skis in the ski box all winter. My ski box is pretty old faded plastic, and covered in stickers. A brand new one would probably be a more attractive target.
    The keys are not generic, but a lock cores and key kit comes with a skeleton key that will open any of that same brand across several years and models.. But my regular key won't open your ski box.

If you’re heading up to the RFV, I certainly would have skis for you and your wife. Kids might be close.

Thule, Yakima and other boxes that use say, Thule keys, are numbered. So a 37 key opens a 37 lock.I have , not a 37, but have several Thule accessories. If you have the right key for the lock, you can open it. I am sure if you had no issues about making a pile of noise, a crowbar would easily shred the thin plastic of a typical ski box, but in 20 ears of using them, I have never had an issue. But I am in Canada.

Don’t ask me about forgetting you have a box on the roof and driving into an underground parking garage, box on top, with your kid and three teammates in the car....Gorilla tape, box in van to get back out, and kids with a story to tell their parents for decades....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. Now that I have a baby, I like to move my boards from inside my car to the box above...

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    Thule, Yakima and other boxes that use say, Thule keys, are numbered. So a 37 key opens a 37 lock.I have , not a 37, but have several Thule accessories. If you have the right key for the lock, you can open it. I am sure if you had no issues about making a pile of noise, a crowbar would easily shred the thin plastic of a typical ski box, but in 20 ears of using them, I have never had an issue. But I am in Canada.

Don’t ask me about forgetting you have a box on the roof and driving into an underground parking garage, box on top, with your kid and three teammates in the car....Gorilla tape, box in van to get back out, and kids with a story to tell their parents for decades....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heh...yeah. When I was driving long haul I learned there was only like 10 freightliner keys, so sometimes a guy would lock his keys in the truck and have to do the awful door to door knock at every freightliner in the truckstop trying everyone’s keys until he found a match. Good stuff.

I hope these get found and the jackers do actual time. Fuck ski thieves.

Ooooof sorry. Highly unlikely those skis are ever seen again.