Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My dog has sprung a leak...

My old girl Loki (14) has recently started shitting in the house. She's on Proin for urinary incontinence, and very rarely has any piss accidents; this poop thing started a few months ago, and lately has gotten much worse. I work at home, so I can let her out hourly if needed, so she has plenty of opportunity to go poop. At night, however, she shits in her sleep, sometimes waking herself up only to shit down the hallway as she tries to get outside.

I let her out at midnight, right before I go to bed; she usually disappears for five or ten minutes, then comes back. I assume she's shit, although I don't usually see her do it. Last night we were watching Netflix; she has a bed right beneath the tv. She was sleeping peacefully, when my wife noticed that Loki's tail was up, and a turd was coming out. We quickly woke her and led her outside.

Her stools are solid, so it's an easy clean up, but still disgusting. She's otherwise perfectly healthy. Anybody have any suggestions besides a diaper?

Going through the exact same thing with our old girl who’s been on proin her whole life. Don’t have much advice but just an anecdote that when we resorted to diapers, it seemed to make the #2 accidents more frequent. She has had a good streak lately so hopefully it’s just a temporary thing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm reluctant to try diapers, as it would just mean she sits in her shit all night long, and I don't relish the thought of cleaning her ass every morning.

Same thing just started happening with our geriatric lab/gsp. Starting to act a bit senile too. I have a feeling she's going to start living out a bit more of her retirement in the backyard. She's happy and still has plenty of energy, so not giving up on the ol' girl. Sad to see, but at least she seems happy, even if totally spaced out at times. Personally, we're not going to bother with any medications or vet visits for this. She's old. We'll just keep on taking good care of her and let her retire in peace at her own pace. Although she's been officially banished from the carpeted 2nd floor. Haha. Had to get the carpet professionally cleaned last week after she really let it go while taking a nap.

I've had dogs my whole life and I've never heard of a dog shitting in its sleep.

I probably just doomed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Same thing just started happening with our geriatric lab/gsp. Starting to act a bit senile too. I have a feeling she's going to start living out a bit more of her retirement in the backyard. She's happy and still has plenty of energy, so not giving up on the ol' girl. Sad to see, but at least she seems happy, even if totally spaced out at times. Personally, we're not going to bother with any medications or vet visits for this. She's old. We'll just keep on taking good care of her and let her retire in peace at her own pace. Although she's been officially banished from the carpeted 2nd floor. Haha. Had to get the carpet professionally cleaned last week after she really let it go while taking a nap.
    Vibes. She is a good dog. Sad to hear. That other dog of yours is a complete spaz.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

It sucks getting old, but we will all shit ourselves eventually. Not that unusual, and is like due to nerve degeneration or cognitive dysfunction. There are some diets and/or meds that may help, but making sure she actually shirts before bed time can help..

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

My dog isn't leaking, yet. However he is gurgling something fierce tonight. Goodness know what he got into. He's banished from my lap tonight and isn't happy, seeing as how he's a lap dog. The sure fire way to make him shit is to take him for a walk. The further you go, the more that comes out. It starts out solid and gets runny. So it's good to choose the right length walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Vibes. She is a good dog. Sad to hear. That other dog of yours is a complete spaz.
    Thanks. Yeah, she's a real sweetheart. 13 years old now, but other than losing her marbles and the occasional incontinence, thankfully she still looks really fit and has a lot of energy for an old dog. Can still run circles around most dogs half her age. Haha. The other one's still a spaz but (slightly) improved in her elderly years. Crazy how a large 9 year old dog can have that much bounding energy. She's such a bull in a china shop. A total Marmaduke. She's lucky she's such a love or I would've strangled her years ago. Lol.

Update: she can’t seem to make it more than a couple hours before she shits. I watched her shit last night at midnight; she woke me at 4am pacing, so I let her out, and discovered turds on her bed. I let her back in, and she proceeded to shit on her bed again at 8am. This is getting annoying.

Vibes.

I don’t envy the decisions you will have to make.

My dog has sprung a leak...

^^^ Yeah, this sucks. She’s healthy in most other respects; loves to hike, hang out on brewpub patios, get love from everyone she meets. Other than random shitting, her quality of life is pretty good. Fuck.

I’m not looking forward to sharing a tent with her this summer... I think I may have to get her a diaper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0604.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	347.9 KB 
ID:	270175

You're a better man than I. Once they start shitting in the house, the end is near.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    I hope you have a fenced backyard or at least keep an eye her when she's outside. When my lab went senile she also started having accidents in the house. It progressed to the point that I couldn't leave her in carpeted areas unattended. She also started wandering off and when I went after her it was like she couldn't figure out where she was. The last time she wandered off she was at the pond and I had to physically lead her home because she had no idea who I was. I ended up putting her down shortly after that last incident and it was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    ^^^ Yeah, this sucks. She’s healthy in most other respects; loves to hike, hang out on brewpub patios, get love from everyone she meets. Other than random shitting, her quality of life is pretty good. Fuck.

I’m not looking forward to sharing a tent with her this summer... I think I may have to get her a diaper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0604.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	347.9 KB 
ID:	270175
    Your girl is a spitting image of our 16-ish year old mutt. And yeah, similar issues. He shat in the backseat of my truck twice in the last 24 hours. Both times he was oblivious to what he'd done, which sucks because then he steps in it as I'm frantically trying to pull over.

Not sure what the solution is. He's still doing pretty well in other respects, but definitely deteriorating. Super deaf and grows tumors like it's his job, but is alert and has good energy by old dog standards. Still, the little things that aren't right with him are starting to add up. Not sure he'll still be with us come summer, which is sad...

I bought these ElleVet CBD chewables, they came today. Lily is 14 and in great shape but creaky, she had Lyme twice and it seems to have effected her, or maybe it's just arthritis. She still runs fine, but getting up is painful and stairs aren't great. I'll report back

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I hope you have a fenced backyard or at least keep an eye her when she's outside. When my lab went senile she also started having accidents in the house. It progressed to the point that I couldn't leave her in carpeted areas unattended. She also started wandering off and when I went after her it was like she couldn't figure out where she was. The last time she wandered off she was at the pond and I had to physically lead her home because she had no idea who I was. I ended up putting her down shortly after that last incident and it was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made.
    Oh, man. That's rough. I've never had to put a dog down before so I can't imagine. Thankfully we DO have a fenced yard, so she can't really get into too much trouble. She seems to enjoy chasing the squirrels that taunt her and sniffing around for treasure all day, so she seems happy. Sometimes she just stares blankly at the fence for ages, but I don't think she's really suffering. At least she doesn't seem to be in any pain. Just moments of senility and incontinence. I have a feeling that's gonna be me someday. I wonder if my wife will put me out in the backyard at that point too. Haha. I can picture it now. She'll give me a lawn chair, a 6-pack, some tunes, and I'll just stare off into space for hours wondering what the hell that awful smell is. "Oh yeah, it's me. Oh well. Back to whatever it was that I was doing. Where am I again?" ...Yup. That's my destiny for sure.

Update: Getting worse. I think she’s lost sensation in her rear end; she has trouble getting up and sitting. She shits, but doesn’t seem to notice most of the time.

Sadly, I think Bacon Day is approaching.

I went through the same thing a year ago. It sucks. Don't get frustrated with her - she can't help it. The thing is this - no matter what, she feels worse than you, and is probably pretty embarrassed and disappointed in herself. Clean it up. Love her. You'll never get the time back. You won't remember the bad stuff when she's eventually not there.

Salomon would have been 15 tomorrow. I miss him so much.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Thanks Axe; I hear you, we keep showering her with love as we clean up after her. She still puts her full 65# in my lap as we watch tv; she’s sweet as ever, just has a slight playdough-pumper problem. Not her fault. I’m hoping we can hang on for a few more months, when we can leave the door open for her 24/7.

Make every day count.

Might be too little too late, but acupuncture has appeared to have helped some of these dogs. No first hand experience, but they do it in my wife's practice and she says it can help.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Acupuncture did amazing shit for one of my dogs, I saw it happen. Might be worth a shot.

I’ll try anything; thanks.