Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    It's a long story but the acupuncture on our guy was on his back end and involved nerve damage from a slipped disk. He couldn't walk and then he could right after the needles. Not perfectly by any means, but he stood up and walked a few steps and he hadn't been able to do that. After that he was on the road to recovery. He never fully recovered but he lived 5 more years which is amazing since he was about done when we started, we had about given up. It can't hurt to try it.

yea this is basically what happened with our dog right at the end. she was on proin most of her life for spay incontinence. She was having all sorts of nerve issues in her back end. top walking, struggling getting up the steps. once the pooping ramped up in frequency, that was more or less it.

vibes. still miss our girl.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    It sucks getting old, but we will all shit ourselves eventually. Not that unusual, and is like due to nerve degeneration or cognitive dysfunction. There are some diets and/or meds that may help, but making sure she actually shirts before bed time can help..
    Hey, Hut. Quick question. So our old girl has come back to life over these last few months. I thought she was on her way out, but she seems to have totally come back to. No longer acting kooky and senile, acting like her younger self, and even bounding around and running like before. Hasn't peed or pooped herself in a couple months either. Last year, the pigment in her nose was like half gone (her nose turned half pink) which I hear can be an indication of something wrong, but also can just be part of a dog getting really old? But her nose is pretty much 100% black again. Didn't know that could happen.

Either way, is it normal for an old dog to go senile and incontinent but then go back to normal? I'm just a bit surprised (quite pleasantly) that she's gone back to normal. Guess she may still have a couple years left in her yet!

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Once they start shitting in the house, the end is near.
    Unfortunately, this ^ as others have said. My retriever/rhodesian ridgeback started shitting in the house at the same time as she started getting senile and going blind. After a couple of months, I was cleaning up shit every morning and she was so blind that we had to pad corners of coffee tables and such and put up a baby gate so she wouldnt fall down the stairs. Putting a dog to sleep is one of the worst experiences I've ever had, so my heart goes out to you. Just remember this also
    Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Don't get frustrated with her - she can't help it. The thing is this - no matter what, she feels worse than you, and is probably pretty embarrassed and disappointed in herself. Clean it up. Love her. You'll never get the time back.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Hey, Hut. Quick question. So our old girl has come back to life over these last few months. I thought she was on her way out, but she seems to have totally come back to. No longer acting kooky and senile, acting like her younger self, and even bounding around and running like before. Hasn't peed or pooped herself in a couple months either. Last year, the pigment in her nose was like half gone (her nose turned half pink) which I hear can be an indication of something wrong, but also can just be part of a dog getting really old? But her nose is pretty much 100% black again. Didn't know that could happen.

Either way, is it normal for an old dog to go senile and incontinent but then go back to normal? I'm just a bit surprised (quite pleasantly) that she's gone back to normal. Guess she may still have a couple years left in her yet!
    I'm not a vet--but in humans sudden onset of dementia, incontinence is often a sign of infection, without any of the usual signs of infection--eg pneumonia but no cough or fever. OTOH those aren't usually the kinds of infections people get over without antibiotics. Dogs? Hutash?

My dog has sprung a leak...

Update on Loki: Still pooping in the house, usually in her sleep. We’re managing it better since it’s warming up, and we can leave a door cracked for her to come and go most of the day, keeping her tanks pretty empty. We put incontinence pads around her various beds so she doesn’t shit on the carpet (she refuses to sleep on the beds; just uses them like pillows, with her ass pointing in random directions.)

This weekend will be our first camp outing this year; we’ll see how she does.

It sucks to see a happy, healthy pooch losing control. I just can’t bring myself to put her down when 99% of time, she’s fine; active, curious, sweet. Picking up a turd or two is a minor inconvenience, but at some point it will be a major one. I just don’t know where to draw that line.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0934.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	357.7 KB 
ID:	280946

She’s a beauty. Hold onto her as long as you can
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker:
    Don't get frustrated with her - she can't help it. The thing is this - no matter what, she feels worse than you, and is probably pretty embarrassed and disappointed in herself. Clean it up. Love her. You'll never get the time back.

Damn, what a tough spot to be in. Vibes FC, I my dogs were still mentally together, but started dropping off presents in the house for me, it would be so hard to deal with, especially thinking about the above comment. Guess I would roll up all the carpets for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    +1, she looks great for her age. Good work keeping her in shape.

Only thing I can think of is to exercise her after she's had a chance to digest dinner. And if possible, you can skew the meals to make breakfast bigger than dinner so her digestion is more active when she can easily get outside during the day.
    Funny how when I walk my dog, shit comes out. The longer the walk, the more that comes out. It gets runny if the walk is too long.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Funny how when I walk my dog, shit comes out. The longer the walk, the more that comes out. It gets runny if the walk is too long.
    Our late Cocker was good for 3 shits per walk. We went through a lot of plastic bags. When I went to the grocery store I put each green bean in its own bag.

My Gunther has a pretty sensitive stomach, so Diarrhea has been a problem for him over his life with me. Good news is I found the below. Normally, one packet mixed in with a meal makes him firm again, but a real shit fit has takin 2-3 days to clear up. This stuff is a Dog Send for my guy.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 248
Size:  19.8 KB
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

It's been awhile, and I havent re-read the thread, but baby crib sheets are your friend. But a bunch and put them over and under her dog beds, so even if she just rest her head on the bed her ass end is still on the sheet. Makes clean up easy. My old Male lab shit in his sleep, and my old female lab was a pee leaked. It happens when you get old. As Goat mentioned, there are other medical reasons for incontinence, so a check, up blood work and a urinanalysis is a food thing to do.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Yep; here’s one of her beds:

Name:	Image1556835143.960507.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	281126

She shit her bed this morning, then on my office floor around noon, then on the couch around 4pm. I don’t think she even feels it anymore. Time for diapers. Fuck.

I mean, what consistency are we talking about here?

Not to be insensitive.

Solid little golf balls; easy cleanup. If it were the squirts we’d have a different conversation.

That's what I'm sayin'.

Glad it's what it is.

This is embarrassing dad...

Name:	IMG_1018.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	283431

aw man. but she seems cool with it. peace.

My wife gave Loki’s diaper some sexy bling.

Name:	IMG_1106.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	286348

Man, I love my dogs, but you are going straight to heaven while I sit in Purgatory for awhile.

I used to put my english setter in diapers with a feminine pad when she was in heat. I got used to it pretty quickly and the only time I got frustrated was when I forgot to take it off when I let her outside..

My wife's family had a golden retriever that started peeing in the house suddenly. It turned out that she had diabetes. Get that dog to a vet! Also you can check out Pet Express for info

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I used to put my english setter in diapers with a feminine pad when she was in heat. I got used to it pretty quickly and the only time I got frustrated was when I forgot to take it off when I let her outside..
    Boxer briefs on backwards with a pad stuck to them for our girl. Does suck when one forgets to take it off and she pees through it.