Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SLCizzy
    Posts
    2,632

    Too much pow, nobody cares about AXS?

    This shit is pretty cool. Iíve pedaled the Eagle stuff around and the shifting is awesome. Really fast and does well under load with gooney shifts. Itís pricey, but goddamn, itís pretty sweet.

    On the vanity tip, handlebars with only brake hoses sticking out makes me feel funny in a good way.

    I will be buying an AXS Reverb this summer. Itís so fast, the lever/button/switch feels great and if I never have to run a fucking seatpost hose again itís all worth it.
    We yanked up on the lowered seat and got the squish, then used the air bleed feature and it worked. Excellent.

    The road shit is pretty damn cool too. That chain.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    3,491
    I saw the media and thought, ďhuh.... I thought that already existed....Ē

    Cool nonetheless.

    Not in my budget but if it trickles down to GX level, Iíd buy.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    7,694

    Too much pow, nobody cares about AXS?

    This is definitely the future. I found a deal on the groupset and pre-ordered it. Iíll sell the crankset and cassette and just use what I have. Iím pretty excited to ditch the cable.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NAZ
    Posts
    474
    Saw it, made a joke to myself about how Rock Shox should learn to make a working cable dropper post first, assumed it was all way out of my price range, and moved on.

    I guess the whole electronics on bikes thing doesn't appeal to me. I am curious, does anyone know what the battery life is like?
    It sucks to suck.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SLCizzy
    Posts
    2,632
    20hrs between charges. Not that great.

    The consensus amongst salty shop folks that have dealt with many Reverb issues is that eliminating the lever/hose and adding the air bleed mechanism is a vast improvement on the Reverb system


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,419
    It's snowing

    what the fuck are you talking about now?

    Is it important?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SLCizzy
    Posts
    2,632
    Robot sounds in my shifty bits and seatpost. Super important.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central VT
    Posts
    4,009
    I get the wireless Reverb; I'll be interested when the price goes down and the battery life improves. Dealing with the extra cable of a dropper can be a pain weather you need to bleed it or fiddle with it to replace a stretched cable. I've been through several different dropper posts and the only one that seems to work is Fox. There is much room for improvement with droppers.

    As for wireless shifting, I really don't get it. What's wrong with cable shifting? It's so simple: easy to adjust, simple to repair and track down issues, maintenance is a breeze by just replacing a cable and housing once a season. Beyond a completely smashed derailleur, just about any shifting issue can even be dealt with trail-side. Out of all the parts on my bike the last thing I want to change is proven mechanism of a cable pulling and releasing tension.

    I appreciate new tech but I'm really curious about the benefits here beyond impressing your riding buddies.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    7,694
    Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I get the wireless Reverb; I'll be interested when the price goes down and the battery life improves. Dealing with the extra cable of a dropper can be a pain weather you need to bleed it or fiddle with it to replace a stretched cable. I've been through several different dropper posts and the only one that seems to work is Fox. There is much room for improvement with droppers.

    As for wireless shifting, I really don't get it. What's wrong with cable shifting? It's so simple: easy to adjust, simple to repair and track down issues, maintenance is a breeze by just replacing a cable and housing once a season. Beyond a completely smashed derailleur, just about any shifting issue can even be dealt with trail-side. Out of all the parts on my bike the last thing I want to change is proven mechanism of a cable pulling and releasing tension.

    I appreciate new tech but I'm really curious about the benefits here beyond impressing your riding buddies.
    Oddly enough, my dropper post never gives me issues. I change the cable once a season and call it good.

    I see two main benefits to the wireless shifting - being able to shift under load, and almost effortless instant shifts compared to the extra force and modulation you use to shift by cable.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    8,244
    Saw it, love the idea, waiting for individual components and normal person pricing.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Magically whisked away to...Delaware
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    As for wireless shifting, I really don't get it. What's wrong with cable shifting? It's so simple: easy to adjust, simple to repair and track down issues, maintenance is a breeze by just replacing a cable and housing once a season.
    Nothing is simpler than: doing almost nothing. I'll want it as soon as price is halved...unless it weighs as much as NX...then I don't want it.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

    No thanks. I'll stick with porn. - Benny

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,161
    what problem will wireless shifting solve for most people?

    And if RS made a dropper post that worked to start with, again, how is this better?


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central VT
    Posts
    4,009
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    what problem will wireless shifting solve for most people?

    And if RS made a dropper post that worked to start with, again, how is this better?
    Preach on.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,907
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    And if RS made a dropper post that worked to start with, again, how is this better?
    Damn, you beat me to it. Or... maybe that was all part of their long term plan. Create a market desire for wireless droppers by building a regular dropper post that sucks so bad, it leaves people looking for new alternatives?

    Either way, I agree with those above. I'll never spend $700-800 on a wireless dropper (especially one by SRAM) because I don't encounter enough issues with my standard cable-actuated dropper post. Not to mention the fact that if something breaks on a wireless/electronic dropper post, I'm really screwed. At least when a cable-actuated dropper stops working, I have an inkling of knowledge how to fix it.

    And I've used electronic shifting before, and it's cool. But is it worth the huge premium to me personally? Absolutely not.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    812
    I use this as a dropper...Look no cables!



    And best of all it cost me $60 on Amazon.

    For sure the wireless SRAM is pretty cool but 1) I never would want to worry about batteries and charging and 2) Wait at least 5yrs for the costs to come down. Someone had to be the first to do this, my guess is this will really catch on with the e-bike thing. It will be fun to see those who just ride their bikes 2-3 miles from the trailhead when you see these e-groupsets out in the wild.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    794
    I'm pretty pumped about AXS. I don't get the custom chain though? Seems dumb. The rest is cool. The price is going to drop....a lot in the next few years I'd bet. Gotta recoup R&D costs on early adopters. It's not like the BoM or design is all that complicated.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    what problem will wireless shifting solve for most people?

    And if RS made a dropper post that worked to start with, again, how is this better?
    Also agree. Just replaced my wife's road drivetrain and did not go electronic. She is not, how should I say this...mechanically minded. I'd much rather replace cables every year or two than deal with whatever happens with her and electronic shit/batteries.

    Not only doesn't it solve a problem, it introduces new ones.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,941
    Just what I want for my human powered endeavors: more batteries!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    7,004

    Too much pow, nobody cares about AXS?

    Wireless RD and dropper solves the problem of hoses whipping around making noise, frees up the suspension rotation on your rear triangle by a marginally unnoticeable percent, actually simplifies rear derailleur maintenance because you donít have to adjust cable tension any more, extends cassette life because of proper RD position being maintained while cables get out of perfect tension, and now if your battery dies, presumably the RD can sit in a fixed gearing position rather than when your cable breaks you are on the highest gear (awful if you have a huge climb to get back home) unless you mess with your limit screws. Also simplifies seatpost Installation, maintenance and removal.

    The trade offs include changing your spare cable to a spare battery, throwing away more batteries (lithium no bueno, alkaline not so bad), and not being able to adjust your shit if your bike ride takes you through a military base or nuclear power plant
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,561
    Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    Saw it, made a joke to myself about how Rock Shox should learn to make a working cable dropper post first, assumed it was all way out of my price range, and moved on.
    Same here, pretty much. I mean, everything I've read about Di2 says that it works phenomenally well and I assume AXS will be the same. Ultra-premium drivetrains just aren't what I'm going to spend my limited budget on. I'd rather spend money on suspension and wheels.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,375
    I'd like to figure out how to hack one, and then be able to sloowwwwwlly lower someone's seatpost on a long climb as I'm following them. Otherwise I have no interest in getting one.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NAZ
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just what I want for my human powered endeavors: more batteries!
    This is part of my non-interest as well. Nothing specific or rational, just a general aversion to more electronics and batteries and the like on my bike rides.
    It sucks to suck.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,489
    Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    20hrs between charges. Not that great.
    I haven't had many issues with cables over the years but it would still be nice to get rid of them. I'm sure I'll be all over this in about 5 years when you can barely find anything but wireless components.

    Questions:

    What happens when I forget to charge my components before the ride and the battery goes dead. Am I stuck on a singlespeed with the seat fully up? Because that will definitely happen...

    And how do I charge them? Am I going to have to plug the post and rear D into a wall outlet or portable charger? How long does it take? Seems like this would be inconvenient on a 10-day road trip and a huge pain in the ass on a bikepacking trip when I might be riding 12, 15, 18 hrs a day.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    7,694
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I haven't had many issues with cables over the years but it would still be nice to get rid of them. I'm sure I'll be all over this in about 5 years when you can barely find anything but wireless components.

    Questions:

    What happens when I forget to charge my components before the ride and the battery goes dead. Am I stuck on a singlespeed with the seat fully up? Because that will definitely happen...

    And how do I charge them? Am I going to have to plug the post and rear D into a wall outlet or portable charger? How long does it take? Seems like this would be inconvenient on a 10-day road trip and a huge pain in the ass on a bikepacking trip when I might be riding 12, 15, 18 hrs a day.
    The derailleur stays in the last gear it was in. It charges in an hour with USB. You can always buy an extra battery for $40.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    24,922
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

    And how do I charge them? Am I going to have to plug the post and rear D into a wall outlet or portable charger? How long does it take? Seems like this would be inconvenient on a 10-day road trip and a huge pain in the ass on a bikepacking trip when I might be riding 12, 15, 18 hrs a day.
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •