Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Too much pow, nobody cares about AXS?

This shit is pretty cool. I’ve pedaled the Eagle stuff around and the shifting is awesome. Really fast and does well under load with gooney shifts. It’s pricey, but goddamn, it’s pretty sweet.

On the vanity tip, handlebars with only brake hoses sticking out makes me feel funny in a good way.

I will be buying an AXS Reverb this summer. It’s so fast, the lever/button/switch feels great and if I never have to run a fucking seatpost hose again it’s all worth it.
    We yanked up on the lowered seat and got the squish, then used the air bleed feature and it worked. Excellent.

The road shit is pretty damn cool too. That chain.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I saw the media and thought, “huh.... I thought that already existed....”

Cool nonetheless.

Not in my budget but if it trickles down to GX level, I’d buy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

This is definitely the future. I found a deal on the groupset and pre-ordered it. I’ll sell the crankset and cassette and just use what I have. I’m pretty excited to ditch the cable.

Saw it, made a joke to myself about how Rock Shox should learn to make a working cable dropper post first, assumed it was all way out of my price range, and moved on.

I guess the whole electronics on bikes thing doesn't appeal to me. I am curious, does anyone know what the battery life is like?
    It sucks to suck.

20hrs between charges. Not that great.

The consensus amongst salty shop folks that have dealt with many Reverb issues is that eliminating the lever/hose and adding the air bleed mechanism is a vast improvement on the Reverb system

It's snowing

what the fuck are you talking about now?

Is it important?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Robot sounds in my shifty bits and seatpost. Super important.

I get the wireless Reverb; I'll be interested when the price goes down and the battery life improves. Dealing with the extra cable of a dropper can be a pain weather you need to bleed it or fiddle with it to replace a stretched cable. I've been through several different dropper posts and the only one that seems to work is Fox. There is much room for improvement with droppers.

As for wireless shifting, I really don't get it. What's wrong with cable shifting? It's so simple: easy to adjust, simple to repair and track down issues, maintenance is a breeze by just replacing a cable and housing once a season. Beyond a completely smashed derailleur, just about any shifting issue can even be dealt with trail-side. Out of all the parts on my bike the last thing I want to change is proven mechanism of a cable pulling and releasing tension.

I appreciate new tech but I'm really curious about the benefits here beyond impressing your riding buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I get the wireless Reverb; I'll be interested when the price goes down and the battery life improves. Dealing with the extra cable of a dropper can be a pain weather you need to bleed it or fiddle with it to replace a stretched cable. I've been through several different dropper posts and the only one that seems to work is Fox. There is much room for improvement with droppers.

As for wireless shifting, I really don't get it. What's wrong with cable shifting? It's so simple: easy to adjust, simple to repair and track down issues, maintenance is a breeze by just replacing a cable and housing once a season. Beyond a completely smashed derailleur, just about any shifting issue can even be dealt with trail-side. Out of all the parts on my bike the last thing I want to change is proven mechanism of a cable pulling and releasing tension.

I appreciate new tech but I'm really curious about the benefits here beyond impressing your riding buddies.
    Oddly enough, my dropper post never gives me issues. I change the cable once a season and call it good.

I see two main benefits to the wireless shifting - being able to shift under load, and almost effortless instant shifts compared to the extra force and modulation you use to shift by cable.

Saw it, love the idea, waiting for individual components and normal person pricing.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    As for wireless shifting, I really don't get it. What's wrong with cable shifting? It's so simple: easy to adjust, simple to repair and track down issues, maintenance is a breeze by just replacing a cable and housing once a season.
    Nothing is simpler than: doing almost nothing. I'll want it as soon as price is halved...unless it weighs as much as NX...then I don't want it.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

what problem will wireless shifting solve for most people?

And if RS made a dropper post that worked to start with, again, how is this better?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post

And if RS made a dropper post that worked to start with, again, how is this better?
    Preach on.

Damn, you beat me to it. Or... maybe that was all part of their long term plan. Create a market desire for wireless droppers by building a regular dropper post that sucks so bad, it leaves people looking for new alternatives?

Either way, I agree with those above. I'll never spend $700-800 on a wireless dropper (especially one by SRAM) because I don't encounter enough issues with my standard cable-actuated dropper post. Not to mention the fact that if something breaks on a wireless/electronic dropper post, I'm really screwed. At least when a cable-actuated dropper stops working, I have an inkling of knowledge how to fix it.

And I've used electronic shifting before, and it's cool. But is it worth the huge premium to me personally? Absolutely not.

Last edited by Groomer Gambler; 12-13-2019 at 07:51 AM.

I'm pretty pumped about AXS. I don't get the custom chain though? Seems dumb. The rest is cool. The price is going to drop....a lot in the next few years I'd bet. Gotta recoup R&D costs on early adopters. It's not like the BoM or design is all that complicated.

Also agree. Just replaced my wife's road drivetrain and did not go electronic. She is not, how should I say this...mechanically minded. I'd much rather replace cables every year or two than deal with whatever happens with her and electronic shit/batteries.

Not only doesn't it solve a problem, it introduces new ones.

Just what I want for my human powered endeavors: more batteries!

Wireless RD and dropper solves the problem of hoses whipping around making noise, frees up the suspension rotation on your rear triangle by a marginally unnoticeable percent, actually simplifies rear derailleur maintenance because you don’t have to adjust cable tension any more, extends cassette life because of proper RD position being maintained while cables get out of perfect tension, and now if your battery dies, presumably the RD can sit in a fixed gearing position rather than when your cable breaks you are on the highest gear (awful if you have a huge climb to get back home) unless you mess with your limit screws. Also simplifies seatpost Installation, maintenance and removal.

The trade offs include changing your spare cable to a spare battery, throwing away more batteries (lithium no bueno, alkaline not so bad), and not being able to adjust your shit if your bike ride takes you through a military base or nuclear power plant

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    Saw it, made a joke to myself about how Rock Shox should learn to make a working cable dropper post first, assumed it was all way out of my price range, and moved on.
    Same here, pretty much. I mean, everything I've read about Di2 says that it works phenomenally well and I assume AXS will be the same. Ultra-premium drivetrains just aren't what I'm going to spend my limited budget on. I'd rather spend money on suspension and wheels.

I'd like to figure out how to hack one, and then be able to sloowwwwwlly lower someone's seatpost on a long climb as I'm following them. Otherwise I have no interest in getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just what I want for my human powered endeavors: more batteries!
    This is part of my non-interest as well. Nothing specific or rational, just a general aversion to more electronics and batteries and the like on my bike rides.
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    20hrs between charges. Not that great.
    I haven't had many issues with cables over the years but it would still be nice to get rid of them. I'm sure I'll be all over this in about 5 years when you can barely find anything but wireless components.

Questions:

What happens when I forget to charge my components before the ride and the battery goes dead. Am I stuck on a singlespeed with the seat fully up? Because that will definitely happen...

And how do I charge them? Am I going to have to plug the post and rear D into a wall outlet or portable charger? How long does it take? Seems like this would be inconvenient on a 10-day road trip and a huge pain in the ass on a bikepacking trip when I might be riding 12, 15, 18 hrs a day.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I haven't had many issues with cables over the years but it would still be nice to get rid of them. I'm sure I'll be all over this in about 5 years when you can barely find anything but wireless components.

Questions:

What happens when I forget to charge my components before the ride and the battery goes dead. Am I stuck on a singlespeed with the seat fully up? Because that will definitely happen...

And how do I charge them? Am I going to have to plug the post and rear D into a wall outlet or portable charger? How long does it take? Seems like this would be inconvenient on a 10-day road trip and a huge pain in the ass on a bikepacking trip when I might be riding 12, 15, 18 hrs a day.
    The derailleur stays in the last gear it was in. It charges in an hour with USB. You can always buy an extra battery for $40.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

Winner, winner, chicken dinner
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident