Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    The derailleur stays in the last gear it was in. It charges in an hour with USB. You can always buy an extra battery for $40.
    OK that's not so bad. But an unexpected stop to charge for an hour is still gonna kill the occasional strava time

Anyone know if the seatpost has manual actuation? That would be $$$ for all the fearful people on their long trips.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I haven't had many issues with cables over the years but it would still be nice to get rid of them. I'm sure I'll be all over this in about 5 years when you can barely find anything but wireless components.

Questions:

What happens when I forget to charge my components before the ride and the battery goes dead. Am I stuck on a singlespeed with the seat fully up? Because that will definitely happen...

And how do I charge them? Am I going to have to plug the post and rear D into a wall outlet or portable charger? How long does it take? Seems like this would be inconvenient on a 10-day road trip and a huge pain in the ass on a bikepacking trip when I might be riding 12, 15, 18 hrs a day.
    We will all be on electric bikes soon, and you will have cables going from all your wireless electrical components going into one big battery that will charge everything. It'll be great.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    We will all be on electric bikes soon, and you will have cables going from all your wireless electrical components going into one big battery that will charge everything. It'll be great.
    We’ll all just plug everything in to our e-bike battery. Can’t wait!!!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Anyone know if the seatpost has manual actuation? That would be $$$ for all the fearful people on their long trips.
    Seatpost does not have manual operation.

The batteries detach from the components and charge on a little charger-thing. Batteries are interchangeable between components so you could feasibly swap them around if one died on a ride and get yourself to a decent gear and saddle height.

The AXS app shows battery life.

Also, carrying a spare wouldn’t be a terrible thing for huge rides, I suppose. They weigh 40g I think.

Electronic systems are probably not the best choice for a bike packing setup, but hey, neither are DH tires.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Just popping back in

Still shoveling and snow stuffing

no time for body spray

You guys got this?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Be great to have but realistically if I can plunk my Cable derailleur in a low enough gear to get me up a hill and get it in a high enough gear to hit a couple jumps and do some skids I’m happy. I could by another bike for the cost of this stuff . Racers will want it , especially xc racers

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    what problem will wireless shifting solve for most people?

And if RS made a dropper post that worked to start with, again, how is this better?
    I can either apparently spend a few grand to have wireless shifting that apparently still requires b-tension and limit setup, or I can spend $20 and have the guys I ride with at the LBS fix my imperfect setup and teach myself not to shift like a moron.

I can buy a Revive for $400 that doesn't have a bunch of play at the head, has quick, smooth travel, has a reset lever, can be self serviced in 20 minutes, and doesn't require batteries. Or I can pay twice that for the latest POS Reverb to finally get away from a stupid hydraulic hose and constant bleeds, but still have a loose head and somehow manage to be slow both on the up and down.

Haa expert takedown on the reverb. They’re even worse in the cold

The AXS Reverb is really fast. It uses a lighter oil. No adjustable return speed anymore, just fast. Not quite old Command Post Ball Punch fast, but much faster than my current Reverb.
    The head still does have a little wobble.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm just in it for the oil slick cassette and chain until trickle down happens.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Based on how nice eTap rides and how easy it is to set up, I'm definitely eager for AXS. I really never shell out for pricey drivetrains (if I have to buy separate from a bike, my go to is GX rear der, GX or XO1 shifter and XO1 cassette and chain... Usually buy GX and upgrade after wear), so I will wait until I get something with this stuff speced. If I never buy a bike with it stock, it may take me several years to own this stuff, though. Not a huge priority, despite how cool it is and how well I'm sure it will perform. I definitely want to try some this summer.

XTR 12 speed is dope, and I was moderately excited for it after trying it, but I think that has been supplanted by excitement for AXS. While I'll readily admit Shimanos quality and reliability is still higher than SRAM's, wireless shifting is sweet. I was a naysayer until I worked on eTap, but it's definitely the future.

Fuck that dropper post though. Get a bike yoke. Reverbs should go straight in the dumpster.

Side note: The tiny bit if hippie in me does feel bad than our technological masterpieces of bicycles are increasingly becoming middleman between carbon fiber, lithium ion batteries, etc and landfills.... Oh well, I'm about to get in my car and burn gas to go walk around on snow with planks on my feet...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I can either apparently spend a few grand to have wireless shifting that apparently still requires b-tension and limit setup, or I can spend $20 and have the guys I ride with at the LBS fix my imperfect setup and teach myself not to shift like a moron.

I can buy a Revive for $400 that doesn't have a bunch of play at the head, has quick, smooth travel, has a reset lever, can be self serviced in 20 minutes, and doesn't require batteries. Or I can pay twice that for the latest POS Reverb to finally get away from a stupid hydraulic hose and constant bleeds, but still have a loose head and somehow manage to be slow both on the up and down.
    +1 on the Revive. My thoughts exactly

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Installed it tonight and rode around the parking garage. First impressions are 1) shifting is awesome and effortless even under load 2) I love doing a long press to go through all the gears. 3) Sram’s goal for the next gen will be to slim down the rear derailleur. It sticks out much further than normal derailleurs.

Haven’t downloaded the app yet.

I have access to EP pricing or wholesale thru a buddy, but crap this stuff is expensive..

let me see. a cannondale synapse hi tech carbon frame plus dura ace di2 OR a 2019 KTM exc 450 street legal high performance 4 stroke moto bike. essentially the same price

damn...

I just bought another Bike Yoke Revive for my wife's new build. $315 with discount code at BC. With this kind of smooth operating, reliable post at this price, there is zero reason for me to consider any other seatpost options.

When Di2 was released I was intrigued. But I've never seen one in the wild. That was what, 3 years ago? Not exactly a sign that it's changing the world. Maybe it's because Shimano only has like 1% of the high end mountain bike drivetrain market now?
    However many are in a shit ton.