Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Expanse

The Expanse

I think there is no thread so here we go:
    Discuss the best Sci fi show of all time. Yes I'm going there although I have not seen the other contender BSG reboot.

What do I love? The physics, the cast (though not all acting is amazing) , the story, the dialogue, the politics and the realism.
    And even the FX, which are amazing for such a small show.
    I've just finished season 3 and can't wait for summer and season 4. (latish or autumn release) .

Ive read all the books and while they are good or very good science fiction(one or two are more all rightish to be honest), the show is mind blowingly good. It's right up there with the genre classic movies like blade runner.

Which either means there hasn't been much well made science fiction or it is a really good show regardless of genre. I tend to think it's both.

Gesendet von meinem BLA-L29 mit Tapatalk
    Season 1 trailer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5dkXNhJ-F-c

Season two:

Don't click if you haven't seen season one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mWT1Oij2rxA

Season 3 trailer

Don't click if you have not watched season 1 and 2. Otherwise spoiler alert galore.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bwNIhSv-ATg
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I’m still frustrated waiting for the next book to get released.

Glad to see amazon picked up the show after syfy dropped it.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I enjoyed the first season when it was a sci-fi noir. But found Season 2 to devolve into standard good vs. evil/renegade space rangers vs. evil governments space opera. However, by that time I was invested, so I kept watching.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I thought it was more complex than that. I liked that the politics had layers and factions within each government. Even Mars is not the honorable government draper wants it to be.

And I like how the Opa is portrayed as an freedom fighter / terrorist (depending on where you are from) Organisation where some factions want to become a legitimate political force and others are still in the "freedom for the belt, death to the inners" mode.

The roci crew and especially holden are most definitely the good guys, but they also make questionable decisions and are not all white (giving the stuff to the Opa, shooting people like the scientists). And you can't accuse Amos of being "the good guy"

Fav quotes: "I didn't shoot him because he sounded crazy, I shot him because he was making sense."

Take off your jewelry.
    Why? Are you giving me fashion advice?
    No.. In a high g burn it will rip right through you.

Gesendet von meinem BLA-L29 mit Tapatalk

Looks right up my ally, now that its on Amazon will check it out.

Thanks

Great show that would have been better if Holden hadn't been miscast. The actor is too young, pretty and dopey. He's the week link in an otherwise superb cast.

I also think they made Amos too civilized too fast. I get that it's harder to show his unique sense of morality on film than it is to explain it in a book, and I think the actor does a great job at what he is asked to do. But I think they moved him too far toward "good guy" too fast, and the whole approach is getting a bit heavy handed.

Other than that, I agree, one of the best Scifi series ever.

Bump...

This thread got me to watch the show. No regrets. I was bummed when I ran out and will definitely watch season 4. That said, I agree with the criticisms so far. I'll add that I almost had to stop watching because of shohreh aghdashloo. I'm sure she's a lovely person, but her vocal inflections don't jive with my ear.

If you haven't done the new BSG yet, I'd get on that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just finished this series too...didn’t see it had already been a thread here

Christian’s voice...haha, wow that’s a lotta smoking

It got a little slow sometimes. I used the FF button a bunch when it got a little too introspective or into itself for scenery.

I particularly hated the catchup camera that was used on almost every spaceship moving scene. It was odd to always start behind the rocket flare and catchup and swing by the nose. It made the action motion seem backwards (& not in a “you’re in space which way is up” way)

Season 1 was great. Season 2 started to drag on and on so I stopped watching at some point. Maybe I should get back on it and slog through the rest of them.

Season 2 drags on? Do you need Michael baylike explosions every 10 seconds of screen time? There probably are some things to criticize... But That ?

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Season 2 drags on? Do you need Michael baylike explosions every 10 seconds of screen time? There probably are some things to criticize... But That ?
    There were some spots in season 2 where it seemed like the writers were just treading water, filling in time. But, just finished season 3, which completely made up for it.

Watched the first couple of episodes a while ago and wasn't too into it. Didn't really see the need for a noir Blade Runner rip off in 0-G. Decided to revisit it a month ago and made it far enough to be blown away. Definitely one of the best SciFi series ever. Love the gritty claustrophobic mood, relatively realistic science, and political intrigue. Currently finishing up Season 3 and can't wait for Season 4. S3 Episode 6 (Immolation) where everything comes to a head is one of the most intense white knuckle things I've ever seen.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

I just finished the first 3 seasons. Incredible series so far and I can't wait to see what season 4 brings now that it is under the Amazon umbrella.

I particularly hated the catch-up camera that was used on almost every spaceship moving scene. It was odd to always start behind the rocket flare and catch-up and swing by the nose. It made the action motion seem backwards (& not in a “you’re in space which way is up” way)
    I kind of thought this was weird at first too. However, I think that most of the times they show the ships this way it is when they are slowing down coming into their destination. You know, the whole physics principle of mass in motion requires an opposite force to slow it down. They have to flip the ship around and do a burn to slow down.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post

I kind of thought this was weird at first too. However, I think that most of the times they show the ships this way it is when they are slowing down coming into their destination. You know, the whole physics principle of mass in motion requires an opposite force to slow it down. They have to flip the ship around and do a burn to slow down.
    This in one of the things that keeps hard core nerds, like me, interested in the show. Using "thrusters" or whatever to acceletate (at 32.2 ft/s^2) half way to your destination, then flipping your ship around and decelerating the rest of the way seems like a practical idea for traveling around the solar system. The trip to Mars would take days or weeks, not months or years.

And space travel should totally use the imperial measurements system.

Kevin Smith recaps Seasons 1-through-3...

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Don't ever grow up, Kevin.

Seriously just started this. Now 6 episodes in. Canadian Firefly is really good.

new season starts today. giddy giddy... yay.

Getting a pizza. Then the bing begins

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Just started mine..on to Ep. 2

The Expanse

Yup, popping popcorn now...

So what's the verdict? I'm 20min episode 1. Kid time collides with binging...

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app

Only got through 2 eps. Efx are pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I love science fiction, so I am already biased. But I love it when the common man must dig deep to achieve a greater good. Good character development also. I'm hooked!

Wow cinematography is amazing. All hail Amazon money!

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app