Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    ...Lisa the bartender has GREAT tits...
    How did we get this far w/o "Pics or GTFO!"??? oh yeah, b/c: soccer.

It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

fuck, the only thing worse than unironic use of "the beautiful game" by yanks is them saying it in portugese

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Yeah man, gotta keep that shit close to the vest. Not many can match your wits for the beautiful game, and I’m sure not many can ski like you ski.
    Ha, in both its more length of participation and passion vs knowledge/skill.

Thought all on here would understand as the "oh you ski" has lead to horrid conversations about others take on our sport. Been in numerous soccer versions of " yeah my family goes to Okemo once a year"

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

We had a 5 hour layover in Munich--went into town and ate sausages and drank beer amidst a crowd of locals wearing futbol jerseys and singing club songs. A nice change of atmosphere on our way home from Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I've been a low level Liverpool and Barca fan for over 10 years now
    Are you also a Yankees, Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Canadiens, Patriots, Packers fan?

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Are you also a Yankees, Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Canadiens, Patriots, Packers fan?
    still snickering at this, especially the Liverpool / Canadiens comparison.....

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    I started to pull for Liverpool because my family ancestry on father's side traced back there. I actually have a copy of a letter that George Washington wrote my great great great..... etc grandfather complaining about a shipment of goods he wasn't happy with . LOL, my ancestor ripped off George Washington in the 1700s. He was also the mayor of Liverpool back around that time.

I've lived a lot of places. I'll pull for any sports team that was based in a place I lived for at least ten years but current home team first. Of the above, Lakers sometimes because they started out in Minnesota. Yankess hell no, I'm a masochistic Mets fan. I was living on Long Island in 86 when both the Mets and the Giants won. Will pull for them when my other favorites are out.

Soccer in North America is funny. I attempted to make it through an MLS game in Vancouver but couldn't get passed all the flag waving, stupid scarves, chants and songs etc. I get that's how it's done in places where soccer is relevant, like most of the rest of the world, but why do these blowhards have to act like they're in Europe? On top of all that, it was shit soccer, and not even a proper hooligan to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    Soccer in North America is funny. I attempted to make it through an MLS game in Vancouver but couldn't get passed all the flag waving, stupid scarves, chants and songs etc. I get that's how it's done in places where soccer is relevant, like most of the rest of the world, but why do these blowhards have to act like they're in Europe? On top of all that, it was shit soccer, and not even a proper hooligan to be seen.
    I went to a lot of Minnesota Kicks NASL games in the late 70s and early 80s. I was also playing high school soccer at that time. I've been to a couple of Railhawks (Now NCFC) games with my wife and kids. I'd say the vibe in the stands was similar then and now. but now there are a lot more migrants in the stands. It was probably 30% non US natives at the last game we were at. Pretty difficult to call them posers trying to imitate Europe..

irul,
    Fair warning.
    FA cup match today between 2 teams much followed here in 'merica. Likely going to be similar scene as last time x2. May want to stick to Hooters today.

Since I know you were curious, United won 2-0

As The Reds go marching on!
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

As The Reds go marching on!
    Look at you!

Also Champions league today and tomorrow so Hooters would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    fuck, the only thing worse than unironic use of "the beautiful game" by yanks is them saying it in portugese
    No, debating who's the GOAT: Messi or Ronaldo.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

You Know What is fucking annoying? (Soccer nerd related)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Look at you!

Also Champions league today and tomorrow so Hooters would be best.
    The titties are better at Twin Peaks

twinpeaksrestaurant.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    No, debating who's the GOAT: Messi or Ronaldo.
    Pele

Pele
    Ginja style for the win.

Cruyff
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Ginja style for the win.

Cruyff
    Puskas. Scored like crazy, drank like a fish, got banned for 2 years, got fat, then came back and then still scored like 240 goals in 260 games. Could only use 1 foot.

Mag worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Puskas. Scored like crazy, drank like a fish, got banned for 2 years, got fat, then came back and then still scored like 240 goals in 260 games. Could only use 1 foot.

Mag worthy.
    A true all-arounder. Reminds me of John Daly, but with better results.

For those not familiar with fiery Cruyff:

"Widely acclaimed as one of the best players in history"

"The former England striker Gary Lineker, who played for Cruyff at Barcelona, said, “Football has lost a man who did more to make the beautiful game beautiful than anyone in history.”

There is no way to decide who's the current GOAT, past GOAT or Best GOAT between the past vs current. Just appreciate what they and their peers all bring to the game and drop the annoying GOAT thing.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

"I was with (Bobby) Charlton, (Denis) Law and Puskas, we were coaching in a football academy in Australia. The youngsters we were coaching did not respect him, including making fun of his weight and age.

"We decided to let the guys challenge a coach to hit the crossbar 10 times in a row, obviously they picked the old fat one.

"Law asked the kids how many they thought the old fat coach would get out of 10. Most said less than five. I said 10.

"The old fat coach stepped up and hit nine in a row. For the tenth shot he scooped the ball in the air, bounced it off both shoulders and his head, then flicked it over with his heel and cannoned the ball off the crossbar on the volley.

"They all stood in silence then one kid asked who he was, I replied, 'To you, his name is Mr. Puskas.'”
    GEORGE BEST
    Name:  pele-good-maradona-better-george-best-693401.png
Views: 209
Size:  138.4 KB

and I agree comparing past and present and distant past GOAT is silly, BUT no one had a bigger impact on the way soccer is played today than Cruyff

^^^^^
    Great story.

My son reminded me about the Puskas Award:

"The FIFA Puskás Award......... in order to award the player, male or female, judged to have scored the most aesthetically significant, or "most beautiful", goal of the year."

And, this article sounds like he and the Hungarians influenced the Dutch and therefore, Cruyff:

".....Technically amateurs, they played for the Hungarian team that won the gold medal at the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki. And they revolutionized the game, adopting a free-flowing style that was refined by the Dutch teams of the 1970’s and called Total Football....."
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Total Football....."
    Total Football - the most beautiful example of the beautiful game.

Why is there not a soccer thread? That way I could post "Arsenal is disappointing me again" 67 times over the next 24 months.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Total Football - the most beautiful example of the beautiful game..
    Which has evolved into Tiki Taka, Barca style possession soccer via Cruyff, eh? Now Man City w/Guardiola.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    have you gone to search function jong?
    Was more of a rhetorical question that allowed me an excuse to bitch about Arsenal. As an Arsenal guy, being able to bitch with consistency is what allows me to continue soccer watching in sanity, so you have to create those opportunities whenever possible. But now that you mention it, the general footy thread hasn't been posted to since October.

Edit: I just fixed that. And complained again. Cathartic in so many ways...