Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Front range bike choice

Looking to make moves on a new bike next fall. Starting the search now so I can demo and cruise pinkbike/tgr/etc too.

I currently have a 27.5+ 130mm hardtail ive been riding everywhere. I’m looking to keep that and make moves on a long travel bike for the rough stuff, big trails, and the occasional bike park visit.

I’ve been looking at long travel 29ers like SC Hightower LT, Kona process, yt Jeffsy, GG Smash, evil offering etc. Additionally some 27.5 models like SC Bronson, transition patrol. Regardless - in that 140-160 rear travel range.

Let me know any input and other bikes to put on my “short” list!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I think you've got most of them covered... I'd add the Ibis Ripmo as well. It probably climbs better than most of the bikes you listed, which is important around there. It would be ideal for White Ranch, Hall, Left Hand OHV, etc.

For what it's worth, I always sell our demo fleet in the fall, and I'll have Ibis bikes. All GX builds with I-9 Enduro 305 wheels for somewhere around $3600.

I like VPP, and am very happy with my Intense Tracer 275, for what it's worth. Travel is something like 160/165

Then again I may be overly focused on the way the VPP platform climbs. The travel is not as plush as other designs when heading downhill, but it'll absorb a huge amount and I've learned how to ride it over the years. The Tracer suspension is "a deviation from VPP" but it still rides the old way, just not as firm of a base and softer on the initial movement, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Berg View Post
    Looking to make moves on a new bike next fall. Starting the search now so I can demo and cruise pinkbike/tgr/etc too.

I currently have a 27.5+ 130mm hardtail ive been riding everywhere. I’m looking to keep that and make moves on a long travel bike for the rough stuff, big trails, and the occasional bike park visit.

I’ve been looking at long travel 29ers like SC Hightower LT, Kona process, yt Jeffsy, GG Smash, evil offering etc. Additionally some 27.5 models like SC Bronson, transition patrol. Regardless - in that 140-160 rear travel range.

Let me know any input and other bikes to put on my “short” list!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well if you can't demo... Then you should def take the advice of an internet forum. And then agonize over the decision for the next 6 months

I'll likely be putting my v2 Bronson up for sale soon if you have any interest in going used. It's been a perfect do all bike. I'd think the v3 would be sweet too.

Things to consider... What's your favorite FR trail? Do you think it will continue to be your fave once you go FS? Are you a rock smasher, flow rider, finesse kinda guy, strava racer, Richie Rude impersonator, jumper, frequent desert tripper, high country aficionado, etc. Different strokes for different kinds of riders and you should be honest with how you like to ride.

So many riders with different styles in the FR. I typically ride Dakota once a week and want a rock smashing bike. Min 140mm travel in the back, 150-160 in the front, 66 or less HTA, and steeper STA for some of the techy climbs. Whether it's 27.5 or 29 matters less to me.

I think you already listed some solid bikes....

You should get a Yeti like everyone else...

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Just came here to say: "'front range'...obviously, you need a SB150."
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Cuz of the cost and cult following... I disagree.

You are not going to get very far if you start considering cost in the "which bike" equation

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Well if you can't demo... Then you should def take the advice of an internet forum. And then agonize over the decision for the next 6 months

I'll likely be putting my v2 Bronson up for sale soon if you have any interest in going used. It's been a perfect do all bike. I'd think the v3 would be sweet too.

Things to consider... What's your favorite FR trail? Do you think it will continue to be your fave once you go FS? Are you a rock smasher, flow rider, finesse kinda guy, strava racer, Richie Rude impersonator, jumper, frequent desert tripper, high country aficionado, etc. Different strokes for different kinds of riders and you should be honest with how you like to ride.

So many riders with different styles in the FR. I typically ride Dakota once a week and want a rock smashing bike. Min 140mm travel in the back, 150-160 in the front, 66 or less HTA, and steeper STA for some of the techy climbs. Whether it's 27.5 or 29 matters less to me.

I think you already listed some solid bikes....
    I know I know... Self torture. But I was bored at work. This is a really strong point. Front range trails vary greatly. I'd say my go-to rides are Hall ranch (nelson loop and down the rock garden) West Mag in Ned, and White Ranch/Apex. I'm a student in Boulder so those rides are also closest. I ride a fair amount of high country stuff in the summer, and love getting some serious miles in down at Buff Creek. If the Bronson is an XL I could be interested... thanks for the input!!

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    You are not going to get very far if you start considering cost in the "which bike" equation
    Haha, orrrr it narrows the list greatly? Haha the cost of gear does affect some people. Turq x01 xxx420 (whatever the top spec yet150 is) is simply out of my (and most non lawyer/doctor types) budget. Going a different direction, I could get a carbon frame and similar spec builds for almost half the price - see Guerrilla Gravity, YT, Commencal, the list goes on. But for yeti fans that rationale doesn't add up so I digress...

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I think you've got most of them covered... I'd add the Ibis Ripmo as well. It probably climbs better than most of the bikes you listed, which is important around there. It would be ideal for White Ranch, Hall, Left Hand OHV, etc.

For what it's worth, I always sell our demo fleet in the fall, and I'll have Ibis bikes. All GX builds with I-9 Enduro 305 wheels for somewhere around $3600.
    Pm inbound!! thanks for the lead.

I think you should really ask yourself what kind of mountain biker you are and then find the bike that best fits

true colorado bro rider = yeti obvious
    racer/roadie = steel hard tail to put hard miles on
    rowdy bro brah = spot is what the cool kids ride
    just getting started or sponsered = specialized duh
    park rat = gorilla gravity knarl

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I think you should really ask yourself what kind of mountain biker you are and then find the bike that best fits

true colorado bro rider = yeti obvious
    racer/roadie = steel hard tail to put hard miles on
    rowdy bro brah = spot is what the cool kids ride
    just getting started or sponsered = specialized duh
    park rat = gorilla gravity knarl
    This concept could make for a fun thread by itself.

I know I know... Self torture. But I was bored at work. This is a really strong point. Front range trails vary greatly. I'd say my go-to rides are Hall ranch (nelson loop and down the rock garden) West Mag in Ned, and White Ranch/Apex. I'm a student in Boulder so those rides are also closest. I ride a fair amount of high country stuff in the summer, and love getting some serious miles in down at Buff Creek. If the Bronson is an XL I could be interested... thanks for the input!!
    Bronson is a L X01 eagle build. It's a beast.

If you're a student, I would look on Pinkbike buy/sell or get a Jeffsy and call it good. Or hit up Smokkan in the fall for a killer deal on some Ibis bits...

Save your cash for now. When you're working and making some bucks, get the orange sb150. Duh

The obvious choice, if you will actually wait until next fall, is to buy something from Steve.

I absolutely hate to suggest anyone buy a Spec Ed bike, but they do have that demo center in Boulder. Every model, every size (ironically, EXCEPT for the bike called the Demo). Even Ebikes. A block from the bike park thing and they'll let you load up and take it somewhere for the day. They don't sell bikes, so it doesn't have the usual LBS bullshit and idiot factor.

Seems like getting on a Commencal should be easy. I don't actually know, but it seems like it should be, given that they're right there.

I'd recommend a Knolly Fugitive. The only problem you'll have with it is finding chamois that'll accommodate the giant boner it gives you whenever you ride it.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Steve I assume is the guy selling the Ripmos? I think that's the move. Depreciation on new bikes is sickening, and even though I'll be on a salary come fall, I have trouble justifying new over just barely used. Especially when the price difference is close to 2k...

Definitely gonna check out knolly. The commencal comment was more so aimed at the guy who said it's dumb to consider price when buying a bike (still confused..)

It was a sarcastic joke, college boy....

Spending thousands on a bicycle while in college seems less than smart. Who am I to judge? I blew my summer earnings on a race bike in my senior year and ate ramen for two semesters. Sold the bike a year later at a loss. Pretty much have repeated that cycle ten times over by now. Welcome to mountain biking. Say goodbye to your spare income.

Get the fkn red one.

smmokan's demo deals in the fall were fantastic. I would keep in touch with him wait until then if you can. Hard to find a better deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    smmokan's demo deals in the fall were fantastic. I would keep in touch with him wait until then if you can. Hard to find a better deal.
    Fight club, man. Fight club

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post

Pm inbound!! thanks for the lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Fight club, man. Fight club
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I have a steel hardtail 27.5+ with 130 and a 5.5 with 135/160, so I guess I’m just another franger jabroni.

I love my sb5.5, absolutely love, that said when I’m ready to change it up been thinking:
    Ripmo
    Stumpy
    Smuggler
    Sb130

Ya know, but like N=1.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    It was a sarcastic joke, college boy....

Spending thousands on a bicycle while in college seems less than smart. Who am I to judge? I blew my summer earnings on a race bike in my senior year and ate ramen for two semesters. Sold the bike a year later at a loss. Pretty much have repeated that cycle ten times over by now. Welcome to mountain biking. Say goodbye to your spare income.
    Everyone's got a different sense of humor on here, my bad. Some guys are just dicks haha. But yeah, I'm graduating this spring and I have a salary job lined up, so I'm thinking it'll be feasible. No way I could do it on a part time/odd job college budget. Engineering classes finally paying off...

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    That is the plan, Stan.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Get the fkn red one.
    The carbon red one hahah