Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 130

Quick review with my first impressions on the Hawx Ultra XTD 130s

Bio: 6ft 180 lbs
    Days skied: ~10 (7ish BC and 3 resort)
    Skis Used: 4FRNT Raven 184 (BC) and Praxis Protest 187 (Resort)

Really solid touring boot. Pretty lightweight at a little over 1400 grams but the flex is nowhere near a 130. If I were to guess I would say 110 tops.

Strong enough to drive the Ravens as they are a fairly light ski and I don't really want to tour in an 1800+ gram boot. While I do really like them touring, in my opinion they are definitely too soft to be the sole boot for someone who likes to charge. There is no chance they replace my Salomon X Max 120s (with intuition powerwrap) for resort days. While they are adequate to drive the Protests, I definitely miss the power transmission of the X Max. I'm switching to that boot for the Protests and will report back after a few days.

Really have enjoyed them on the uphill. Plenty of ROM and didn't notice any loss in ROM coming from a Scarpa Maestrale which they easily beat on the downhill. Haven't done any multiday tours but were light enough for 5000ish vert days.

Overall, great boot for someone who wants a dedicated touring boot that is light but still provides solid power. Could be a one boot quiver for someone who is primarily BC focused or a lighter or less aggressive skier.
    Last edited by PNW_Skier206; 02-11-2019 at 09:31 PM.

I'm a pretty small guy at 5'8, 135lbs, but I have been really liking xtd 130s as a boot for anything. I've skied them 50 days, inbounds, with 5 days touring this season. I've used them on all sorts of ON3Ps, the biggest being 184 BGs. I have had no issues driving any of my skis with them, in fact I feel more comfortable in these compared to my old FT first chair 10s. I have had some slight durability issues, nothing unfixable. I've broke both boot boards at the heels from big landings, and the top screw on the walk mode latch fell off at the end of the day because the screws were a little loose. Overall a great boot for narrow feet and varied use!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm much heavier than you and very much disagree with your assessment of flex. also, there's already a thread for this.

Havenít skied/compared mine yet so I wonít comment on my thoughts. But I did notice a difference on carpet when using my Powerwraps over the stock liner. Have you tried that? Might not get you to where you want it, but I think youíd see an improvement in power transmission?
    Last edited by Lindahl; 02-12-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I'm much heavier than you and very much disagree with your assessment of flex. also, there's already a thread for this.
    Looked through that a bit but didnít see reviews but I didnít looked through all the pages to be fair. I probably shouldíve added that this was just a review.

Are you using the stock liner?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Pretty well established that the current 130 liner is a bit thin and trash. I tested them inbounds with Powerwraps and some Voile straps as power-straps and felt they skied noticeably better than my Gen 2 Cochises with powerwraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Havenít skied/compared mine yet so I wonít comment on my thoughts. But I did notice a difference ok carpet when using my Powerwraps over the stock liner. Have you tried that? Might not get you to where you want it, but I think youíd see an improvement in power transmission?
    Yeah Iím sure changing the liner would help a good bit. That being said I donít need them to replace my alpine boots so I might not bother. I got them for primarily touring so might just get a pro tour.

Btw maybe it doesnít sound like it but I think the boots rock for their weight, I was just trying to be honest of my experience so far. I also wouldnít expect a 1400 gram boot to be as good as dedicated alpine boots.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by PNW_Skier206; 02-17-2019 at 07:04 PM.

I skied the stock garbage liner for about 40 or so days before replacing them with an intuition pro tour. stiffness was adequate stock but the liner was full of holes and mush and stiffness has definitely increased with the intuition. I found the stock stiffness adequate to ski a 196cm ski inbounds at 220lbs nekkid. Can i overpower it? yes. Does it take some doing and basically only happen when i fuck up and need to get myself out of a bind? also yes.

frankly I'm thrilled with the boot and will not be looking to complement with something beefier unless long term durability becomes an issue which it could. Big guy, intended use, yadayada.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    Yeah Iím sure changing the liner would help a good bit. That being said I donít need them to replace my alpine boots so I might not bother.
    I have hawx 130 xD with Intuition Tour Wrap. According to Intuition - Tour Wrap uses the same foam as Power Wrap and is stiffer than Pro Tour (tongue style liner). Boots feel stiffer than my alpine Dalbello Krypton2 Pro with 130 flex. I even want to make them softer by throwing intermediate Booster strap. Because despite being stiffer they ski worse than my 2+ kg alpine boot.
    Iíve never skied in stock liner because bootfitter initially swap it with intuition to reduce space in ankle area.