Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wax on the floor

I'm looking for ways to keep wax off of the garage floor when I wax. I get wax everywhere and the wife says the garage floor is too slippery after I'm done waxing. I try to clean the wax off the floor but you guys know a light layer of wax will stay on the concrete floor. I can lay down a plastic sheet but that can tear from moving the bench I would think. I've tried a big moving blanket and that was almost just as messy. When I tried to pick up the blanket wax shavings got on the floor still. I've tried a shop-vac and even used base cleaner and brake cleaner on the floor. Huge pain the ass.

What can I do to avoid wax on the floor?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You serious?

Sounds like you need to pay someone else to wax for you if your worried about a few flakes of wax on the garage floor. Why can’t you fold the blanket without making a mess? Maybe buy a cheap rug and roll it up when done. Still gonna have wax here and there. Wax outside?

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    You serious?

Sounds like you need to pay someone else to wax for you if your worried about a few flakes of wax on the garage floor. Why can’t you fold the blanket without making a mess? Maybe buy a cheap rug and roll it up when done. Still gonna have wax here and there. Wax outside?
    Easy does it cowboy. Sounds like a real person with a real question.

Scraper and shop vac sound like the winner. I just shop vac the wax after scraping and get 99% of it. It’s messy no doubt but we’ll brainstorm some solution for ya

"A friend of mine has two tickets for the 2017 Super bowl. They are box seats plus airfares and hotel accommodations. He didn't realize when he bought them that this is the same day as his wedding - so he can't go.
    If you're interested and want to go instead of him, it's at St. Peter's Church in New York City at 5 PM. Her name is Donna. She will be the one in the white dress."

wax is not the problem

Vacuum before you walk in the wax. Or scrape then clean with gasoline on a rag. Next time. Drop cloth if being neat is a problem.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmap View Post
    I'm looking for ways to keep wax off of the garage floor when I wax. I get wax everywhere and the wife says the garage floor is too slippery after I'm done waxing. I try to clean the wax off the floor but you guys know a light layer of wax will stay on the concrete floor. I can lay down a plastic sheet but that can tear from moving the bench I would think. I've tried a big moving blanket and that was almost just as messy. When I tried to pick up the blanket wax shavings got on the floor still. I've tried a shop-vac and even used base cleaner and brake cleaner on the floor. Huge pain the ass.

What can I do to avoid wax on the floor?

I get your problem, mine is similar. Wife is cool with it, but we don't have a garage so I try not to make a mess regardless. Keep the wife (if you like her, if not you have an easy out). My solution is a canvas drop cloth, I use the same one if I'm going to paint a room or furniture. Pretty cheap for a 12x12ish cloth. Shake it off or vaccum it or whatever. Should be a quick easy affordable sulution.

If you would rather pass on the wife instead , post pics in GS and I'm sure you will find a buyer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If a waxed floor in the garage is a problem, maybe scrape on the kitchen lino or dining room hardwood. Win win.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    You serious?

I'm serious. It doesn't really bother me. It just bugs her. She's accident prone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdubmpdx View Post
    I get your problem, mine is similar. Wife is cool with it, but we don't have a garage so I try not to make a mess regardless. Keep the wife (if you like her, if not you have an easy out). My solution is a canvas drop cloth, I use the same one if I'm going to paint a room or furniture. Pretty cheap for a 12x12ish cloth. Shake it off or vaccum it or whatever. Should be a quick easy affordable sulution.

If you would rather pass on the wife instead , post pics in GS and I'm sure you will find a buyer.

I hadn't thought of the canvas drop cloth. That'll work better than that shitty blanket I used.

Drop cloth, vacuum shavings then remove drop cloth

Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    Drop cloth, vacuum shavings then remove drop cloth

I like this idea too. Thanks

Um yeah, what does SFB do for excess wax build up?

learn more efficient waxing technique if you are getting wax "everywhere".

I scrape my skis on the front porch then sweep the shavings off the steps to the grass. I also wait until I'm about to actually put them in the box and ski them. All my wax doubles as storage wax until I decide that ski might actually get skied. Skis in quiver stashed inside the house don't get scraped until I decide that's going in the ski box as an option for that particular trip.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Wax on, wax off.

I had this same dilemma a number of years ago, my basement has a tenant so can't do a shop down there, instead of spending 20K to build a garage, buying more shit to fill it, more money to heat it I put my waxing bench against the wall under the window in the spare bedroom which has cheaper laminate flooring

So to keep wax off the cheaper laminate floor I put down a 4x8 sheet of particle board which catches the dripppings, vacum up the shavings, bed room is nice and warm to work on skis

also if you drop something on the partical board it prevents the floor from getting dented

particale board is cheap and so if you ever need a sheet of partical board at the last minute ... you got one
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-10-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The motel I stayed in last weekend had a bench with a trough maybe 12" deep and 12-16" wide with cross bars on top, so all the wax would fall in the trough. A trap door in the trough opened to a garbage can below. Damn near perfect for keeping wax off the floor. But yeah, drop cloth and shop vac is what I have at home.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Make a waxing box easily out of stuff you have lying around anyway. I think it’s been discussed here, if not, Wildsnow, google, or wing it. Mine holds 190 comfortably and has been a big help in containing wax shavings in the bench area I share with our laundry room. Wisk broom the shavings into a corner, vacuum them up in two seconds, and hang it on the wall to reclaim the workbench (and cover it with piles of junk).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1549819725.329526.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	322.7 KB 
ID:	269048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1549819767.527877.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	269049

Wax on the floor

OP, sounds like you are using WAY too much wax. Using less saves material, cost, scraping and mess.

Check out our tuning tips on Hot Touching and Efficient waxing.

For zero drips, touch the wax to the iron and apply a little wax with iron. Rinse and repeat until you have a thin coat. Then work it in.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

watch and learn

That guy got pretty damn aggressive with that freehand file technique

Heh. "That guy"

I laughed
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Haha I skipped right to the file part and watched for 3 seconds. RIP DC