Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by roverdoc View Post
    My guess is transmission fluid low, internal shaft in tranny detonating/splines slipping from overheating and or oil starvation. New transmission may be in your future. Hoping it is something more simple for you.
    My guess is also transmission. Had to replace it last year and went cheap. Started having issues in August but a dose of TransX made things much better for a long time. This happened suddenly and there is fluid. Possibly too much.
    But to play angel's advocate I can move in drive up to about 8 mph then the noise starts and power disappears. In reverse it happens without movement.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

late to the party but based on description of whats happening and video my guess is the torque converter is having some major issues - like a faulty clutch in a manual transmission

possible the transmission itself is damaged but a faulty torque converter can cause drivability/fwd/rev movement issues as well without a damaged transmission (best case scenario here)

My chips are down on Torque Converter

And the winner is

or appears to be

Transfer Case

Mechanic said it was definitely the transfer case and then gave me a quote for $2,200-$2,500!!! I said I'd have to think about and called another guy who agreed to do it with a good condition used one for $375 plus about 3 hours labor. I'm going with him instead.

you can send my prize to bunny! (*)

*(old transfer case)
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

You could still be in it ill-advised. drove it to the new mechanic and after listening to it he's not convinced it's the t-case. However, that was just in the lot and the first guy had it up on the rack listening and checked the fluid in the case and found loads of metal.

Whats the transmission fluid look like?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

New guy (Struve) says it's the transmission. Both mechanics had it up on the rack. I don't know if either one turned the car on to make the noise when they were under it. The first guy seems to be basing his decision (t-case) on the metal pieces in the fluid. But i'm guessing if the transmission was gone and the rear seal was bad the metal pieces would be in the tcase too? The second guy seems to be basing his decision on the fact the car won't move in reverse. But my understanding is that when you lose reverse you also lose second if its the sun shell, and i still have second.
    The transmission had debris in the fluid ever since it was swapped out with a used tranny last year. As I mentioned upthread it was seeming like it was about to go last September (I even made an appointment to have a rebuilt one put in in Sacramento) but after adding some transx it really improved and had been running great up until now with probably another 10k miles.

Downside now is I'm down $175 and still at square one

does anyone know a mechanic I can take it to that will say it's the torque converter?
    Last edited by powdork; 03-01-2019 at 03:18 AM.

What you need is a nice fresh rollover at the junkyard. Trans and tcase as a unit...bingo bongo no fucking around.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    What you need is a nice fresh rollover at the junkyard. Trans and tcase as a unit...bingo bongo no fucking around.
    This. Get both from a lower mileage vehicle, if possible, and inspect fluid before purchase. Change fluids and trans filter before install.

A 4L60E is a very common transmission, and so are the various t cases used in Tahoe/ Suburban/ Silverado etc.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Yeah the problem is while I found the one guy that will do the tcase from a junkyard everyone keeps saying they'll only use a gm reman tranny which is $2,300.

Found someone to install the Tcase and transmission for $750 I provide the parts and fluids (and got the car moved there). The parts arrive in carson tomorrow costing $933.

All that's left now is to cross my fingers

And if you're wondering why I care about saving this car rather than getting something else, I leave Tuesday for a month long Ikon roadtrip where revelstoke is the only required destination and it's set up for it.
    https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/yuburvan/top/

Nice camper conversion! Did you do the work?

yes sir

Sad news. We will never know which one was the actual problem.

On the other hand it runs and shifts great. Better than it did when I bought it or it ever did with the second tranny. And just in time as I leave for 19BBIOOtahh wednesday and then up to Jackson or Big Sky or bc in the general area before picking up tahoetrash in kelowna to head to revelstoke. then come back down through the pnw to tahoe. almost a month

So this time and the last the mechanic had no problem holding onto and disposing of the used parts (for which i paid no core charge). I'm assuming they are getting value for those from rebuilders?

Also. Shout out to Lake Tahoe Automotive on D Street next to Tahoe Import Auto. He was the one that was willing to do it the way I wanted and the cost was super reasonable. He quoted me $750 and it came to $765 for 9 hours. That's $85/hour and I 'think' that's his going rate.