Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Searching a new resort POW stick! Hovercraft, Optimistic, others.? Please help.

Hey guys,

Looking for recommendations for a new resort powder board. My boots are 12 so needs to be wide enough. 6'1", 180lbs.

I have been riding for 20+ years, but with work commitments and family only get 5-10 days a year :-(. I usually ride Tahoe and try to go up on powder days. As you know, that pow gets tracked really fast so the board needs to handle well chopped powder, be good in trees, fast on groomers. I do like carving fast on groomers once the fresh stuff is gone.

For the last few years I alternate 2 boards. If I know there will be deep powder, I bring a LibTech Mullet 165, old model from 10+ years ago, camber. If I know there will be no or little pow, I bring a Never Summer Heritage 159. I am looking for a new board that should a lot of fun on powder days, go fast, effortless FUN float, but that will also excel on the groomers once the mountain is all tracked out in the afternoon. I would like to downsize from the 165 to be more nimble around trees.

I have scoured the messages here, read reviews on other sites, but now coming to you for opinions.

The main ones in consideration:

Jones Hovercraft 156 or 160 - I am afraid the 156 might be borderline narrow at 26mm waist. Any big footers here riding the 156 hovy?
    https://www.jonessnowboards.com/en-U...overcraft.html

Yes Optimistic 157
    https://www.backcountry.com/yes.-opt...-snowboard?s=a

Ride Warpig 154 or 158 - 158 probably better for speed giving my weight
    https://www.ridesnowboards.com/en/me...rpig-1819.html

Others:

Gnu SPAM 157 - maybe narrow at 26 waist
    https://www.gnu.com/super-progressive-air-machine

GNY Hyper Kyarve 160
    https://www.gnu.com/hyper-kyarve

Yes 420 (152) or 420 PH (154)
    https://www.yesnowboard.com/products/420
    https://www.yesnowboard.com/products/420-powderhull

NS Swift 162 - at 162 I wouldn't be downsizing that much from my 165
    https://www.neversummer.com/swift

Capita Spring Break 158 or 161
    https://www.capitasnowboarding.com/s...g-break-powder

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

I would consider the 181 Tech Talk Jong

PM Ron Tele, he has a lot of experience on the snowboards that you’re considering. You should also check out the 181 KYS.

I am assuming you are both being sarcastic about the 181. Not looking for a heli-boarding in alaska board!
    Thanks

Yeah move it to tech talk where zero snowboarders exist.

26 isn't too narrow for size 12. I'm the same size and my standard boards are from 162 to 168. New school I'm on a 159 Nitro Squash and I love it.

Lots of fun progressive shapes for snowboards these days. Too bad the industry has no clue how to communicate how the boards actually ride. Only way to find out is to do a demo day. Angry snowboarder is another good resource.

Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    Hey guys,

Jones Hovercraft 156 or 160 - I am afraid the 156 might be borderline narrow at 26mm waist.
    Yeah, 26mm might be a little on the narrow side (since that is just over an inch!)

What ever the snowboard version of the Soul 7 is. otherwise tech talk.

Check out the NS big gun too.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I would consider the 181 Tech Talk Jong
    POTD...

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Yeah move it to tech talk where zero snowboarders exist.

26 isn't too narrow for size 12. I'm the same size and my standard boards are from 162 to 168. New school I'm on a 159 Nitro Squash and I love it.

Lots of fun progressive shapes for snowboards these days. Too bad the industry has no clue how to communicate how the boards actually ride. Only way to find out is to do a demo day. Angry snowboarder is another good resource.
    26mm not too narrow, but borderline. I do have 2 boards that are 26mm waist, not much issue, but because I know my toe and heels stick out quite a bit I don't "euro-carve".

Seen a lot of the angry snowboarders video. They are great!

The metric system is tricky for sure

Before I posted, knowing this forum, I thought "I will get little help if any", but decided to try anyway.

Before I posted, knowing this forum, I thought "I will get little help if any", but decided to try anyway.
    Reading comprehension skillz would be a good start, and maybe a little searching around first. What fucking part of Tech TALK is so hard to understand?
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Reading comprehension skillz would be a good start, and maybe a little searching around first. What fucking part of Tech TALK is so hard to understand?
    See what I mean? Angry telemarkers up in here. Red skis and dynafit boots are the only answers you'll get. Every loves ONC3PO stuff I've heard.

26mm not too narrow, but borderline. I do have 2 boards that are 26mm waist, not much issue, but because I know my toe and heels stick out quite a bit I don't "euro-carve".

Seen a lot of the angry snowboarders video. They are great!
    Only way you are euro carving with size 12s is if you crank both bindings forward. Enjoy.

You might get more assistance if you posted in fucking Tech Talk, JONG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I would like to downsize from the 165 to be more nimble around trees.
    How small you want to go? If you want nimble in the trees, you can get into the 140s with a Sushi, Terrapin or Cool Bean. All of them have massive noses and waist widths. Incredible for pow slashing and huge sprays, but not the best for ripping huge lines or groomers since the effective edge is shit.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBison View Post
    What ever the snowboard version of the Soul 7
    Burton Custom

It's been moved to tech talk!

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    How small you want to go? If you want nimble in the trees, you can get into the 140s with a Sushi, Terrapin or Cool Bean. All of them have massive noses and waist widths. Incredible for pow slashing and huge sprays, but not the best for ripping huge lines or groomers since the effective edge is shit.

Burton Custom
    Thanks. These ones fall into the short and fatty types, which is not what I am looking for. There is a whole list in my original post with sizes. I am just trying to downsize a little.

Thanks. These ones fall into the short and fatty types, which is not what I am looking for. There is a whole list in my original post with sizes. I am just trying to downsize a little.
    Yeah, those shorties aren't as versatile, no doubt.
    Hovercraft or Swift would be my choices.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Yeah, those shorties aren't as versatile, no doubt.
    Hovercraft or Swift would be my choices.
    Borrowed a Swift from the gear closet at Baldface last March, just stupid fun! No experience on those shorties though.

It's been moved to tech talk!
    Nice! I have nothing constructive to contribute.

I'm not a snowboarder but love geeking out on shapes. All i have to contribute is that length is not the only parameter affecting nimbleness. If your current stick is trad camber then there is much scope to increase nimbleness without downsizing. good luck.

Burton flight attendant

Travis rice pro model

Never summer west