Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are 3-day wait times for shell punches unusual?

Apparently my shop can’t (and refuses) to do shell work on the fly. They claim they must put the boot in an ice bath and the process takes two days.

Is this normal with your bootfitter?

The biggest issue is at the present rate I might have my boots dialed in by the next solar eclipse.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It's a little bit long but not crazy, depending on how busy the shop is. Generally you can get punch work done in a day (if they had enough notice to get the hot water bath hot), but if they have other boots to do it just might be where you ended up in their queue of work. If you don't like that time frame, I'd give any other reputable shops in your area a call to see what their time frame for doing boot work is right now

I have not heard of this. IMO experience with shop work the guy either made me an appointment and did the work right while I waited or I got jacked around by people that didn't know what they are doing. How is the guy going to really remember what you guys agreed to do if they don't do it right away? Also how are they going to check it out if they don't have your foot there? Makes no sense at all to leave your boots and come back another day. Same is true of ski work IMO. Shop should do it on appointment and let you watch unless they have something to hide.

No, not unheard of, IME. My understanding is that, sometimes a boot fitter can punch them and have them cool quickly (i.e., while a customer waits), but it's a less permanent punch, especially if the plastic is of type that has a "memory."

But I'm sure the boot fitters on here can give a better explanation.

As far as how they do it, sometimes they can set up the punch while you're there and other times, you write detailed instructions and put tape in the important places on the boot.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    other times, you write detailed instructions and put tape in the important places on the boot.
    This, we use a crayon to circle the spots on the shell, and then write down exactly how much to bump the boot out. Certain plastics take a fair bit of work to get them to bump out to the required amount and stay there.

It takes longer if you complain because then they need an extra hour or two to take your boots out back and piss on them..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I've seen it take that long during peak season (Christmas usually) or if the boot requires a lot of work (taking off cuffs, heating it up to a high temperature to punch the plastic, etc.).

Some shops may also not have the boot guy in until the 2nd day anyway if it's a week day.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    It takes longer if you complain because then they need an extra hour or two to take your boots out back and piss on them..
    Why am I not surprised you’ve had your boots pissed on.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gaperious Basterd View Post
    Apparently my shop can’t (and refuses) to do shell work on the fly. They claim they must put the boot in an ice bath and the process takes two days. Is this normal with your bootfitter?
    Not at our shop. We make every effort to do boot work while you wait, the exception being when it's too busy (i.e. Saturdays or around Christmas or any time there is more than an hour wait to see a bootfitter). An ice bath is not needed to cool a boot after punching; room temperature air works fine. FWIW, success rates tend to be higher when the foot is "in the house" while the work is being done and if the person who marks the boot does the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaperious Basterd View Post
    Apparently my shop can’t (and refuses) to do shell work on the fly.
    This can also sometimes be translated as, "the people who we trust to do this aren't here today."

When I was fitting we used to do the boots overnight. Sometimes we did it there and then if we were quiet but more often than not it was the last job of the day to knock out a bunch of punches and let them cool slowly over night so the customer could pick them up and ski them the next morning.

It shouldn’t take 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    I have not heard of this. IMO experience with shop work the guy either made me an appointment and did the work right while I waited or I got jacked around by people that didn't know what they are doing. How is the guy going to really remember what you guys agreed to do if they don't do it right away? Also how are they going to check it out if they don't have your foot there? Makes no sense at all to leave your boots and come back another day. Same is true of ski work IMO. Shop should do it on appointment and let you watch unless they have something to hide.
    Who the fuck wants to be watched while they work?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

People saying they’ve done this ice bath overnight thing, what kind of punch are we talking about and what kind of boots? My giant ass feet get jammed into too small boots with the help of good boot fitters while I chill for a morning.

I am used to needing appointments to see those professionals but I have never been told they needed to let it set overnight. I have had guys pack my boots in snow after a punch. So, what is causing the overnight?

Punches take twenty minutes at most. That’s for the initial heating, punching and pouring some cold water on them. You can add a little more time if you need to punch/alter the liner. I know I’m gonna hear about how they need to slowly cool, bit that’s a crock.

My dude is great. I text him (nothing wrong with having your fitters cell #) and ask him when I should come in. If it’s in the morning, I bring a couple coffees. If it’s closer to closing time, beers. Whatever day he says to be there. Just want him to have the time to focus on my foot with my foot there. I let him determine when that time is. I’d rather be on his schedule so if a punch isn’t quite right, we get it done at that visit. He’s admitted that it’s actually more efficient than me coming in a number of times to get it right and he’d prefer it that way. But, my schedule is flexible and some people need boots when they go to buy them. Then they wait a day or two. Then they ski them. Then they go back in for more work when the punch wasn’t quite right.

Happened to run into my boot guy today at the hill. Bought him a beer after a few laps.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Who the fuck wants to be watched while they work?
    Duh, People with nothing to hide.

Also, maybe the guy doing the peeing has performance issues w/an audience?

Are 3-day wait times for shell punches unusual?

Current fitter / best-I’ve-ever-had takes an appointment, marks up the boot with grease pen or chalk, traces my feet on paper, and then I come back in a day or two for liner work if needed. First time I’ve ever put my foot into a new boot and loved it first try. Actually... the first time I’ve ever loved it.

My last fitter also worked the same way.

To be fair, I have “special” feet. Just picked these up today. Looks about right though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtbGaMqF...d=nwv2v88nte0k

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    Current fitter / best-I’ve-ever-had takes an appointment, marks up the boot with grease pen or chalk, traces my feet on paper, and then I come back in a day or two for liner work if needed. First time I’ve ever put my foot into a new boot and loved it first try. Actually... the first time I’ve ever loved it.
    Barry Allison at Whistler Village Sports? That's some serious shell modding.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Barry Allison at Whistler Village Sports? That's some serious shell modding.
    Yup. He’s rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    My dude is great. I text him (nothing wrong with having your fitters cell #) and ask him when I should come in. If it’s in the morning, I bring a couple coffees. If it’s closer to closing time, beers. Whatever day he says to be there. Just want him to have the time to focus on my foot with my foot there. I let him determine when that time is. I’d rather be on his schedule so if a punch isn’t quite right, we get it done at that visit. He’s admitted that it’s actually more efficient than me coming in a number of times to get it right and he’d prefer it that way. But, my schedule is flexible and some people need boots when they go to buy them. Then they wait a day or two. Then they ski them. Then they go back in for more work when the punch wasn’t quite right.

Happened to run into my boot guy today at the hill. Bought him a beer after a few laps.
    If all ski boot customers were like you, the world would be a substantially better place. I haven't fit ski boots in over 20 years but you sir are a diamond in the rough.

At the Intuition outlet in Vangroovy they ask you to book an appointment which is definatly the way to go

I had a 7 hr layover coming back from Niseko so i booked an appointment by e-mail, took the rapid transit in, got a remold and back to the airport in 4.5 hrs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    Punches take twenty minutes at most. That’s for the initial heating, punching and pouring some cold water on them. You can add a little more time if you need to punch/alter the liner. I know I’m gonna hear about how they need to slowly cool, bit that’s a crock.
    Just finished a session of a prit near full shell custom mold of my Vulcans. Added up to 20mm in width in some spots. Ziplock bag of snow to cool punches, only minutes to cool and set punches/stretches and was awesome to retweak if required in a very timely fashion. Took for hours for both boots but we're talkin' major surgery here. D.I.Y. with home materials was a good stretch for the brain's neuroplasticity. Hot air gun, laser thermometer, chunks of wood, little nubby screwdrivers, alu foil, some calipers, automotive gasket making cork, red tuck tape, snow, ziplock bag. Note; no clue if the rapid cool method will 'wreck' the plastic but I don't give a rat's ass. If it cracks, fix with a few layers of gorilla tape. Also, don't know if plastic memory will shrink the punches/stretches but rechecking with calipers over the past few days, haven't lost any mm's. Also, no clue if the home D.I.Y. method will work for thicker plastic, different plastic compositions in other touring boots or d/h boots...the Vulcans have pretty thin Grilamid and is super easy to work with.

Name:  P1100532.JPG
Views: 294
Size:  227.7 KB

Name:  P1100536.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  154.9 KB

Name:  P1100535.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  199.6 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

good onya man!

Nice work on the boots...

Dude, I'm coming to your house! (pulp fiction)
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    Nice work on the boots...

Dude, I'm coming to your house! (pulp fiction)
    PRANK CALLER PRANK CALLER