Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Blackface: WTF?

Blackface: WTF?

So now not just one, but two of the top elected officials in Virginia are in hot water for wearing blackface back in the '80s. Was this sort of a thing in the south at that time? I can honestly say I saw--and probably participated in--some stupid shit in my teens and early 20s but can say I don't recall ever seeing anyone in blackface. Just curious what everyone else's experience is. Just seems like a foreign concept to me (the movie "Soul Man" notwithstanding).

edit: and I'd rather this not devolve into a PolyAss thread. Please stay on topic.

Never once in my life have I seen someone in blackface.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I had a fat friend in college who went as Aunt Jemima for Halloween one year. The locals in a small MN all-white town loved it.

A few years ago my son’s preschool did a Halloween event where all the kids dressed up a historical figures. They did a “parade” where the kids walked down the aisle in the middle of the gym and parents on the sides took photos, high fived their kids and generally talked about how cute it all was. Until the white kid who dressed up as Jackie Robison showed up in full on blackface. The gasps were audible from the parents and the whole room went silent. It was so awkward I couldn’t stop laughing. Poor kid has no idea it was wrong - clearly his parents didn’t either.

Wow. That is cringeworthy.

just lingering ignorance in a place that was steeped in racism historically
    it's not right, but it's not that earth shattering that we still see it percolating out
    the university of virginia didn't admit women until 1970, and even then it was a 2 yr roll out

The Black and White Minstrel Show was a British light entertainment show that ran for twenty years on BBC prime-time television. Beginning in 1958, it was a weekly light entertainment and variety show which presented traditional American minstrel and country songs, as well as show tunes and music hall numbers, and with lavish costumes. It was also a popular stage show.

The show was accused of racism and ethnic stereotyping by black civil rights groups in the UK, such as the Campaign Against Racial Discrimination, due to its use of blackface. This racial controversy led to the programme's eventual cancellation from television in 1978,

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Ted Danson says what?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5545.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	268601

I once did The thing w two heads as a Halloween costume, not sure where that stands.

Definitely saw a lot of OJs back in the 90s

I think when I was 10 many white kids dressed up as O.J. Simpson for Halloween. No problem, but I grew up in a very white community
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Name:  2t4gr4.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  13.7 KB

I remember the Ted Danson thing and couldn't understand why it was a big deal at the time, but never saw anyone dress in blackface in person.

Smart people doing stupid things. Not too surprising. If you reach that level in your career, someone is going to root around and find something unsavory in your past.

Not to diminish the stupidity and poor taste of the act, but viewing 35 year old events through the prism of 2019 values is a dangerous road to go down. If examined closely, I have a hard time believing that many people would come out unscathed.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I think when I was 10 many white kids dressed up as O.J. Simpson for Halloween. No problem, but I grew up in a very white community
    Running back OJ, Naked Gun OJ, or stabby OJ?

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Running back OJ, Naked Gun OJ, or stabby OJ?
    Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Not to diminish the stupidity and poor taste of the act, but viewing 35 year old events through the prism of 2019 values is a dangerous road to go down. If examined closely, I have a hard time believing that many people would come out unscathed.
    And that blanket dismissal is equally as dangerous. Viewing through a 35 year old lens, Northam's act was absurdly dumb. It would be a mistake to think it was all just fine back then; it wasn't. I'm not saying he's racist, but it's not like he just went to a party in blackface (or as a KKK member, not clear which he was). He then posed for an incredibly offensive picture, THEN chose to have that picture published in a yearbook. As a med student, not a high school kid. That shit wasn't ok 35 years ago.

I agree that context matters, and we can't view everything as if it happened in today's world. But we also can't give a blanket pass to things people did a long time ago just because it happened in a different era.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    but it's not like he just went to a party in blackface (or as a KKK member, not clear which he was). He then posed for an incredibly offensive picture, THEN chose to have that picture published in a yearbook. As a med student, not a high school kid. That shit wasn't ok 35 years ago.
    Good point.

jgb@etree Guest
    Now a pic of NC Governor Roy Cooper (D) in blackface has also surfaced:

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    And that blanket dismissal is equally as dangerous. Viewing through a 35 year old lens, Northam's act was absurdly dumb. It would be a mistake to think it was all just fine back then; it wasn't. I'm not saying he's racist, but it's not like he just went to a party in blackface (or as a KKK member, not clear which he was). He then posed for an incredibly offensive picture, THEN chose to have that picture published in a yearbook. As a med student, not a high school kid. That shit wasn't ok 35 years ago.

I agree that context matters, and we can't view everything as if it happened in today's world. But we also can't give a blanket pass to things people did a long time ago just because it happened in a different era.
    Agreed on all fronts. Not arguing he should get a pass, but if a decidedly dumb act 35 years ago is defacto disqualifying (despite what appears to be a pretty good track record on minority related issues since then), then we're going to have a pretty small pool of leaders to pick from.

Are you fucking kidding me? There are literally hundreds of political leaders from both sides of the aisle that don't have any of that shit in their past.
    Live Free or Die

Wait until the video of Captain Kangaroo reading "Little Black Sambo" to the kids surfaces. Still love my pancakes.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

move to poliass in 3,2,1...

And yet no one bats an eye.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9685.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	620.9 KB 
ID:	268611

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Agreed on all fronts. Not arguing he should get a pass, but if a decidedly dumb act 35 years ago is defacto disqualifying (despite what appears to be a pretty good track record on minority related issues since then), then we're going to have a pretty small pool of leaders to pick from.
    Maybe, but it's particularly disappointing that the skeletons only come out when someone else reveals them.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Are you fucking kidding me? There are literally hundreds of political leaders from both sides of the aisle that don't have any of that shit in their past.
    Yep. I mean, we all have dumb shit in our past, but I hate that as a get out of jail free card. My dumb shit involves doing dangerous things that I knew was wrong, it doesn't involve racist shit.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kanone View Post
    And yet no one bats an eye.
    Nope...

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Nope...

A dirty faced chiming sweeper ≠ black face.