16th Extreme Carving Session, Zinal

Looks like fun:

https://youtu.be/lxMZ4qheS_4

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by charles martel View Post
    Looks like fun:

unfortunately, not much interest in it. that's fine with me. keep it a niche sport. I've been rockin the hardboots for well over 20 years.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    unfortunately, not much interest in it. that's fine with me. keep it a niche sport. I've been rockin the hardboots for well over 20 years.
    Dude!

Quote Originally Posted by charles martel View Post
    Dude!

We prolly know each other from Bomber etc
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We prolly know each other from Bomber etc
    Yeah I'm pretty sure about that one.

I don't board anymore, but when I did it was all in hardboots. The alternative at the time was felt lined Sorels. That made no sense and we did do that for first couple of seasons (late 80's)

I recall ripping Island Lake Lodge in hardboots on an asymmetrical Factory Prime and my buddy, also a forever hardbooter, on his Alp. I'd run slack angles (for a hard booter) and the widest FP Burton made as I rode all my boards as freeride boards, but always appreciated the way you could carve in hard boots.

This niche continues to get smaller. There is a local hill here in Vancouver, Cypress, where on nice days as soon as lifts open and few people around there is a rider or two laying down some impressive carves. I always say 'right on' cuz i dig that shit. I'm lost on how it is not more popular but, then again, it is for a skilled technician and not a lot of boarders get to that point (much like the majority of skiers cannot actually carve a ski).

I can't decide if this awesome or lame. Must feel cool to be laid out like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    I can't decide if this awesome or lame. Must feel cool to be laid out like that.
    yeah, they're taking it to a level that only a Euro could: just needs a splash of neon.

kind of interesting that they can get right flat without the board washing from lack of downward edge pressure yet remain in a carve with at least decent momentum to come out of it. Things have changed since my days on plates.

The big group of Euro Carvers was just here last week. They come every year and always seem to be having fun, just fewer of them.
    Dutch dude seems to be in charge.

I want to do that. I’m afraid of the wrecks on the learning curve.
    Hard to imagine a better use of a groomed run.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    The big group of Euro Carvers was just here last week. They come every year and always seem to be having fun, just fewer of them.
    Dutch dude seems to be in charge.

was that aspen etc ? Things got weird with Bomber last year and the SES (Summit Expression Session) looks like it may have been rescued by the Bromada crew.
    The ECES (east coast expression session) was a blast, back in the day. Stratton had a great group of local carvers. Then, Sugarloaf was great too. A week of ripping and partying. Meeting all the guys from the forum, board builders, lots of nerds a few carver chicks
    http://forums.alpinesnowboarder.com/ has replaced bomberonline.com as the go to for carving, same crew, diff url.

Alpine is the dark side for most boarders, they don't get it. That's fine with me. I was always a GS guy on skis, big fast turns and we have plenny of groomed up blue runs and "frozen granular" in the northeast. with sharp edges , you've got hockey skates under your feet. Softies felt like riding in sneakers to me. You couldn't cinch down the straps down tight enough and it felt like your ankle could snap at speed. Gear is better now, I know.
    I get bored just trying to get as low as possible on a skinny board, I need transition changes to feel like I'm surfing big waves on the mountain. It's fun as hell, on a groomer.
    There's a bunch of carvers that still ski a lot, too. It's a big mountain, groomers get boring.
    I wanna hit the bumps , hit the woods, find the steep stuff.
    and half of my ski friends don't snowboard. Hence, I still ski.

feel free to hit me up with questions or whatever about hard booting. I'll be doing it until I can't anymore.

I'll post better videos from Knap but this guy has a technique I try to emulate. ie , I suck at riding fackie, never really practiced "riding backwards" with steeper angles on my boards but kitesurfing taught me how to go ambi back and forth. Breck doesn't need hard boots, softer snow really helps.

I ride softies, never ridden hardboots but I'm intrigued by them. Tools (hardboots) vs toys (softboots) as I've heard. My current stance is +27+12 or so and I ride all mountain. Pow, bumps, trees, steeps, groomers, etc. Park every once in a while for jumps.
    Hardboots look like a blast on groomers, but that's the only place I ever see them. How well do they work off piste? I love carving groomers, but not enough to get new gear that only excels on groomed runs.

Quote Originally Posted by pureshred View Post
    I ride softies, never ridden hardboots but I'm intrigued by them. Tools (hardboots) vs toys (softboots) as I've heard. My current stance is +27+12 or so and I ride all mountain. Pow, bumps, trees, steeps, groomers, etc. Park every once in a while for jumps.
    Hardboots look like a blast on groomers, but that's the only place I ever see them. How well do they work off piste? I love carving groomers, but not enough to get new gear that only excels on groomed runs.
    They work great off piste. The interface gives you more control, just like on groom. It is more effort to do jump turns in steep / tight spots, just because the boots are heavier, but otherwise it's all good. I would say park is the main place where hard gear is a net negative - the play in a soft setup helps soak up landings, and easier to tweak in softies.

Heads up there is a carving session at Turner Mountain in Montana this week. Sounds like there will be a photog there, and I'm sure someone will post some shots if we get anything good. Willy, see you there next year?

was that aspen etc ? ]
    Yes, there were still a couple out today.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    They work great off piste. The interface gives you more control, just like on groom. It is more effort to do jump turns in steep / tight spots, just because the boots are heavier, but otherwise it's all good. I would say park is the main place where hard gear is a net negative - the play in a soft setup helps soak up landings, and easier to tweak in softies.

Heads up there is a carving session at Turner Mountain in Montana this week. Sounds like there will be a photog there, and I'm sure someone will post some shots if we get anything good. Willy, see you there next year?
    -15 today ? damn CLOSED Sunday, February 10th for adverse weather conditions. send me the info, looks fun

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post

dialed in, you can ride the whole mt on hard boots. Nordica makes a classic boot that I like to ride kinda loose and surfy, very comfy underfoort with orthotics. You rip through the woods on a 159 and switch to a wide 180 carver floater that will carry a ton of speed on steep groomers. Cold fast snow is best. with sharp edges. you have to be careful not to hook and highside. it's ugly at speed. I can keep up with most of my ski racer buddies wide open. I should post some videos.
    here ya go. John Gilmour from Madd Snowboards.
    Machin'

scary when the board starts bouncing

I've ridden hard boots for 25 years, always in touring boots and all over the mountain. Current board is a Jones Hovercraft and I'm in the pow and trees as much as possible. Not interested in Eurocarving groomers, let me surf pow. It's a great tool for crud and breakable crusts (wind, sun, rain). I consider it just another tool in my quiver.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Agree on trees. Pow is king. But when mother Nature doesn't serve up the goods, a midweek fast groomer can quell the Jones. Case in point, I should be in Sunapee right now with this guy https://youtu.be/t1O4JIRnbm0

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

-15 today ? damn CLOSED Sunday, February 10th for adverse weather conditions. send me the info, looks fun
    Hey Willy, it turned out that not much carving took place, but we got about 30" of cold fluff over three days and had three incredible powder days, followed by some careful carving (very soft groom) on day 4. Dates for next year are Feb 10-13, 2020 - website is here: https://montuckyclearcut.com

I posted a few pics from the turner event in the Inland Northwest thread.

The idea was for hardboot carvers to rent the whole mountain so we don't have to keep looking over the shoulder to see the phuqing strait liners about to take us out while carving laid out trench digging turns across the slope.
    ULLR had other plans

Last edited by b0ardski; 02-20-2019 at 07:09 AM.
    embrace the gape
    and believe

I too gave up glorified sorels laces and clickity plastic straps in the '80s when all soft gear was crap

was doing steep n deep at alpental the 1st year they allowed snowboards on 180+ twin tips with hardshell/AT boots in the early 90s

used that libtech at turner last week for the trench event turned powfest

plastic boots don't have to be stiff race boots, atomic backlands are the newest greatest thing to hit splitboarding since phantoms came out. I was using these scarpa boots on that 27yr old libtech grocer wishing for a snorkel last week in the pic above

and switch is just backwards, you go tell a park skier he can't go switch because of his plastic boots and stepin bindings, I carve switch every day in stepin hardboots
    embrace the gape
    and believe

would love to do a session in europe where they don't look at you like a 3 headed martian for using plate binders and buckled boots
    embrace the gape
    and believe