Thread: Vietnam travel

Vietnam travel

I'm looking at booking a trip to Vietnam in the fall, and am trying to sort out flights from the US to Hanoi, preferably with a return from Ho Chi Minh City (the tour starts in Hanoi and ends in HCM).

I'm trying to use points for some or all of this. So far, best I can do is American Airlines from Reno to/from Hong Kong (through LAX -- nonstop LAX-HKG), and have found flight availability from HKG to Hanoi (HAN) on Cathay (using Avios). Can't find points availability on Cathay from SGN to HKG, though it should exist -- may have to call on that one. I think this is doable with adding in a 1 or 1.5 day layover in HKG on the way to Vietnam.

Anyone have suggestions on a flight route, based on your route to Vietnam from the US? Layover on the way to or from Vietnam is fine. (There are no non-stop flights between the US and Vietnam.)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'm flying Delta in April, into Hanoi and out of Ho Chi Minh. Stops on both are at ICN in Korea. Flight from ICN to Hanoi and SGN to ICN are operated by Korean Air. To and from ICN is out of SEA. Don't know if any of that helps.

Thanks - I'll look into routing through Seoul. Haven't looked at that option.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

5yrs ago I flew United via SFO and Taipei to Hanoi and returned same from Saigon with points. Something like 80,000 miles for the ticket.

Internally FYI i went from Hanoi to Danang and from Hue to Saigon for ~$25-35 for the flight it was that cheap. Hired a driver and car to take me from Hoi An to Hue for $50 with stops in route.

Good times - have fun if you can swing the free flights.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I
    Anyone have suggestions on a flight route, based on your route to Vietnam from the US? Layover on the way to or from Vietnam is fine. (There are no non-stop flights between the US and Vietnam.)
    Second the Seattle suggestion.

But basically anything to avoid LAX.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

should be a bunch of flights through BKK.

There were 20 years ago...

Got the trip and flights booked -- thanks again for the responses. I looked into routing through Seoul, Tokyo, Taipei, and Bangkok, and the flight times got pretty long. American would get us all the way to Hanoi and/or Ho Chi Minh City, but routed through Manila, with some really long layovers -- not long enough to leave the airport and sightsee though, and AA won't allow stopovers.

So, we are flying AA from RNO-LAX-HKG (and reverse). Two nights in Hong Kong for some sightseeing. Then flying Cathay for HKG-HAN (Hanoi), and return from SGN (Ho Chi Minh City) to HKG.

I was able to find award space on Cathay when I moved the trip earlier into October. Using points for everything + $300 USD in fees/taxes total, for two. (AA points on AA, Avios on Cathay.)