Page 26 of 74 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Thread 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Man, I'll just pass on hearing from former players as regular color/pbp in the booth. Pretty much none of the folks who are good at it were good ballplayers. It's a different skill set.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    As I said, Darling/Hernandez and Singleton/Cone.

Cone and Hernandez especially because they are smart and quick and articulate, but have a great personal sense of humor about all this, and convey this a lot in their talk. Both are somebody I would love to share an inning or two in good seats with a beer or two, as we ruminated on the quality of play and the hot women in box 14.

The Boston booth is consistently the best booth. Eck is growing on me, Remi is all time. Even the occasional Salty or Johnny Gomes cameo I’ve enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    As I said, Darling/Hernandez and Singleton/Cone.

Cone and Hernandez especially because they are smart and quick and articulate, but have a great personal sense of humor about all this, and convey this a lot in their talk. Both are somebody I would love to share an inning or two in good seats with a beer or two, as we ruminated on the quality of play and the hot women in box 14.
    Oof. Ogling chicks with Keith Hernandez is a firm pass for me. And when I've seen him do color on national broadcasts I haven't been too impressed, either. He has a lot of the cranky old man thing where he bitches that people don't play the way that he imagines he did in 1986. Smoltz does way too much of that crap, too, which is disappointing.

Analysis of 4 Million Pitches Shows How Many Mistakes Umpires Make

https://ponderwall.com/index.php/201...eball-mistakes

Oof. Ogling chicks with Keith Hernandez is a firm pass for me. And when I've seen him do color on national broadcasts I haven't been too impressed, either. He has a lot of the cranky old man thing where he bitches that people don't play the way that he imagines he did in 1986. Smoltz does way too much of that crap, too, which is disappointing.

Yeah, a HOF pitcher and a great first baseman who wears a ring. What do they know.

Yeah, a HOF pitcher and a great first baseman who wears a ring. What do they know.
    Well, Hernandez knows how to scoop a throw from the shortstop well (or he did 30 years ago when he was drunk and on a ton of blow). Does he know how to explain it well?

Smoltz got on his high horse this week, going on about how in his day it didn't matter how many times a pitcher went through the order because they knew how to PITCH. Apparently, Smoltz doesn't know that he had damn bear a 7 ERA on his 4th time through a lineup. He's not even a reliable narrator about his own career, never mind what's going on in the game in front of him.

I mean, Joe Morgan was maybe the best second baseman ever, but he was a giant hack in his announcing days.

Man, I'll just pass on hearing from former players as regular color/pbp in the booth. Pretty much none of the folks who are good at it were good ballplayers. It's a different skill set.
    I think you need to define "good" color commentary. ESPN color commentary is consistently fucking horrible pretty much no matter who does it because that's the way ESPN wants it - a sports newstainment babble of cliches and bullshit thats corporate american friendly.

Well, Hernandez knows how to scoop a throw from the shortstop well (or he did 30 years ago when he was drunk and on a ton of blow). Does he know how to explain it well?

Smoltz got on his high horse this week, going on about how in his day it didn't matter how many times a pitcher went through the order because they knew how to PITCH. Apparently, Smoltz doesn't know that he had damn bear a 7 ERA on his 4th time through a lineup. He's not even a reliable narrator about his own career, never mind what's going on in the game in front of him.

I mean, Joe Morgan was maybe the best second baseman ever, but he was a giant hack in his announcing days.

I'm just going to quote this to make it permanent. Eleven consecutive gold gloves, the most by ANY player, ever, two rings, MVP, And, yeah, you know, the dude could party at the same time. The last one is important.

You should really just shut the fuck up, but, I doubt you will.

I'm just going to quote this to make it permanent. Eleven consecutive gold gloves, the most by ANY player, ever, two rings, MVP, And, yeah, you know, the dude could party at the same time. The last one is important.
    Keith Hernandez was all of those things. But being a great player is not a legit qualification for being a great announcer any more than it is a qualification for being a great manager.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

This is why I have girls telling me about the baseball on my screen.

Joe Morgan was by far the best color guy around for a long time. At the end he was undoubtedly the worst. Most guys have a similar trajectory. Remy, for example, is far more tedious and far less insightful, than he used to be. I mean, how long can one person keep on chatting about the same thing day after day and not become fairly tedious?

Edit to add: When Joe first started doing TV it was like Tony Romo. Next level stuff. Last couple years it was like he could barely pay attention to the game.

I miss Phil Rizzuto.

I miss Phil Rizzuto.
    Holy Cow!

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Joe Morgan was by far the best color guy around for a long time. At the end he was undoubtedly the worst.
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Holy Cow!
    I heard an interview with Meatloaf recently when he said that Phil had no clue what he was helping in that recording studio, but, God bless the result.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Joe Morgan was by far the best color guy around for a long time. At the end he was undoubtedly the worst. Most guys have a similar trajectory. Remy, for example, is far more tedious and far less insightful, than he used to be. I mean, how long can one person keep on chatting about the same thing day after day and not become fairly tedious?

Edit to add: When Joe first started doing TV it was like Tony Romo. Next level stuff. Last couple years it was like he could barely pay attention to the game.
    Really? I'm not old enough to have an opinion on him when he first broke in. Late 90s-early 00s Joe Morgan was the hackiest hack who ever hacked. It didn't matter the matchup, the score, or the count, you were getting some dumbass story about how Bench hit .406 in 1974.

I'm with you that Remy used to be better than he is now.

It's a tough job! Vin Scully would've probably been a lousy ballplayer!

It's a tough job! Vin Scully would've probably been a lousy ballplayer!
    Vin did play by play and color. which is why it worked.

You guys have expectations are never going to be met. Just turn on some music and watch the game. It's much better and you won't miss much.

Well Remy and Orsillo had good chemistry. And the guy's had lung cancer 5 time! But I think he's still pretty decent.

I'm not quite clear how thats Berniebro, especially since I'm not Berniebro, but I'm with you on the suckage thing, although not totally in. There are good baseball commentators. Darling/Hernandez/Cohen for the Mets are excellent. Singleton/Cone are my favorite pairing in an awful Yankee booth. I'm old enough to remember Red Barber (Bahbah) and Mel Allen for the Yanks. That was cool.
    Fucking shit, it’s like they don’t play baseball outside the NYC-BOS corridor for you people.

You want the standard bearers in broadcasting right now look to Hall of Famers like Marty Brennaman in Cincinnati, (his counterparts Jeff Brantley and Thom Brennaman are no slouches either), Tom Hamilton in Cleveland, and of course Uecker.

But go on Suzyn.
    I still call it The Jake.

Giants have a good group, Jon Miller in particular
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Waldman must have been blowing Steinbrenner
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Well, thank God I don't live in Cincinnati.

Joe Davis ( no pro baseball) and Orel H (NLCS and World Series MVP honors, only player in history to win them addition to the Cy Young Award in same year) make a great team.
    Like that both had careers in broadcasting before the Dodger booth.

Plus Nomah before and after.

Ryu threw another gem last night and Dodgers bats continue to impress.
    Anyone else won 43 yet?!?

Sox are still in 3rd right?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Joe Davis ( no pro baseball) and Orel H (NLCS and World Series MVP honors, only player in history to win them addition to the Cy Young Award in same year) make a great team.
    Like that both had careers in broadcasting before the Dodger booth.

Plus Nomah before and after.

Ryu threw another gem last night and Dodgers bats continue to impress.
    Anyone else won 43 yet?!?

Sox are still in 3rd right?
    Ryu has to be the front runner for Cy Young and Bellinger for MVP, though CB has slowed down a bit lately.

They’ve only given up 1 run in the last 3 and every starter is on fire. It’s a long season, but they are looking much better overall than either of the last 2 years.