Page 1 of 74 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Thread 2019

MLB Thread 2019

Congrats 2018 Red Sox. That was one of the best teams I have ever seen and I was lucky to see them a lot in Fenway ( including watching my Dodgers get spanked in Game one of the WS)

With Pitchers and Catchers reporting next week, new rule changes being thrown around (Fuck the DH https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#34ce3ce3d75f, ) and a few major free agents still unsigned I thought we could get this started.

Thoughts, complaints, predictions?

I hope they leave the DH alone but I get a feeling they won't. Sox bring pretty much the same team back, they will contend I'm sure barring the unforeseen. Not sure who's gonna close though. Maybe Kimbrel? I kinda hope not.

Dodgers got better I believe? Can't remember exactly what they changed offhand. Yankees will be hateable. And good. Glad to see AFB back at the helm there. Astros should be in the thick of things. I kinda feel like Cleveland is on the downslope but we'll see.

The Marlins look like they could win the whole thing this season.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    The Marlins look like they could win the whole thing this season.
    Yeah Jeets!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

RE2PECT

Lets go Mets !
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

They could possibly challenge the Marlins. Brodie and the Mets are filling the liquid to the top this season.

starting extra innings with a man on 2nd? no

RIP a great one. Man, the numbers and achievements.

Frank Robinson, Hall of Fame Slugger and First Black Baseball Manager, Dies at 83 https://nyti.ms/2UObqry

"Robinson won baseball’s batting triple crown in 1966, hitting 49 home runs, driving in 122 runs and batting .316 in his first season with the Orioles and helping the team capture a World Series championship for the first time in franchise history.

He batted at least .300 in nine different seasons, had 2,943 career hits, drove in 1,812 runs and played on five pennant-winning teams. He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1982, his first time on the ballot.

Robinson made his debut as the majors’ first black manager with the Cleveland Indians on April 8, 1975, 28 years after Jackie Robinson (no relation) first took the field with the Dodgers. Rachel Robinson, Jackie Robinson’s widow, threw out the ceremonial first ball."

MVP in both leagues.

And he was a player/manager early, too.

^Amazing player and person. Met him 1967ish? at a sports show and got his autograph. Old school stud.

And Woodsy, that's very gracious. But you need to let us know when you're coming to Fenway next time for a proper hazing/maggot welcome.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    ^Amazing player and person. Met him 1967ish? at a sports show and got his autograph. Old school stud.

And Woodsy, that's very gracious. But you need to let us know when you're coming to Fenway next time for a proper hazing/maggot welcome.
    Most trips this year were for work so had to be sorta behaved. WS trip was with OG mag basom, so well taken care of on both fronts. Will def give you an opportunity for both some time.
    Likely July. Know the Pantone 294 crew is rolling in in force so the vato v. Masshole banter should be entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    RIP a great one. Man, the numbers and achievements.

Frank Robinson, Hall of Fame Slugger and First Black Baseball Manager, Dies at 83 https://nyti.ms/2UObqry
    Legend, ground breaking legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    starting extra innings with a man on 2nd? no
    I cannot stand this Manfred joker. Selig was a horrible commissioner, but Manfred is making me miss ol Uncle Bud.

Manfred must love slow pitch softball because he seems intent on bringing some of those rules to MLB.

This starting extra innings with a runner on 2B was a slow pitch softball rule I first played back in the 90s.
    Just waving a batter to 1B instead of throwing 4 wide ones on a IBB is another one that Manfred borrowed from the beer league.

So a couple others we can expect to see in the next couple years:
    Hit a HR over the fence and just trot back to the dugout. Takes too much time to actually circle the bases. Pace of play, right?
    Start the AB with a 1-1 count. 3 balls take your base & 2 strikes yer out.
    Timed games. Slow pitch is 65 or 70 min, MLB could go with 2 hrs, no new inning can begin after the clock shows zero.

And for the All Star Game, they should put a keg by 2B. Gotta stop and have a beer on your way around the bases.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    I cannot stand this Manfred joker. Selig was a horrible commissioner, but Manfred is making me miss ol Uncle Bud.

Manfred must love slow pitch softball because he seems intent on bringing some of those rules to MLB.

This starting extra innings with a runner on 2B was a slow pitch softball rule I first played back in the 90s.
    Just waving a batter to 1B instead of throwing 4 wide ones on a IBB is another one that Manfred borrowed from the beer league.

So a couple others we can expect to see in the next couple years:
    Hit a HR over the fence and just trot back to the dugout. Takes too much time to actually circle the bases. Pace of play, right?
    Start the AB with a 1-1 count. 3 balls take your base & 2 strikes yer out.
    Timed games. Slow pitch is 65 or 70 min, MLB could go with 2 hrs, no new inning can begin after the clock shows zero.

And for the All Star Game, they should put a keg by 2B. Gotta stop and have a beer on your way around the bases.
    I'd be willing to try a pitch clock if they'd restore having to actually throw 4 pitches for an intentional walk- on average that rule probably saves only about 10 seconds a game (there's only one like every other game), and it's fun to see pitchers try and get their rhythm back after having to do that- makes them pay a price (and of course the chance for a wild pitch/past ball!)

I like the new limits on trips to the mound- that had gotten out of hand (that many were never part of old school baseball) and it's something I always fast froward through when the game is recorded

Quote Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
    Lets go Mets !
    Ya gotta believe!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Seems silly to me but I'm told I'm an insensitive prick, so there ya go.

MLB Renames 'Disabled List' to 'Injured List' After Advocacy Efforts

Using the term ‘Disabled List’ for players who are injured reinforces the belief that people with disabilities are injured and therefore are not able to participate or compete in any sports. This perception is misleading and incorrect and has the unfortunate connotation that people with disabilities cannot take part in any professional sports. As we all know, there are many professional athletes with disabilities in all major sports in the US and in the world.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Well if they feel it's better who really cares right? Fine, "injured". Whatever.

Why does a pitcher have to throw to 3 batters? If a manager wants to use a guy for one pitch he should be allowed. Stratagery and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Why does a pitcher have to throw to 3 batters? If a manager wants to use a guy for one pitch he should be allowed. Stratagery and shit.
    It's another Manfred ploy, trying to shorten game times. Guess he thinks too many pitching changes makes viewers reach for the remote so less pitching changes must be what we want.

I will say the last good moment the Giants had was the 2016 NLDS until the bullpen imploded in that Game 4 9th inning choke where Bochy used 5 different pitchers and they all stunk. Maybe if this rule had been in place, one of those guys would've dug deep and the result may have been different. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Likely July. Know the Pantone 294 crew is rolling in in force so the vato v. Masshole banter should be entertaining.
    Let's hope the Vatos step up their game in the off season...

I could possibly try and score a dozen Sam Deck tickets or so for Friday or Saturday's game.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Let's hope the Vatos step up their game in the off season...

I could possibly try and score a dozen Sam Deck tickets or so for Friday or Saturday's game.
    Different crew for sure. Was @ Yankee Stadium when they took over and it was pretty amazing.

I could be down for that, wish I knew any other Dodger fans in the area.
    Last edited by Woodsy; 02-11-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    It's another Manfred ploy, trying to shorten game times. Guess he thinks too many pitching changes makes viewers reach for the remote so less pitching changes must be what we want.

I will say the last good moment the Giants had was the 2016 NLDS until the bullpen imploded in that Game 4 9th inning choke where Bochy used 5 different pitchers and they all stunk. Maybe if this rule had been in place, one of those guys would've dug deep and the result may have been different. Or not.
    I admittedly do not know anything about this guy, but is it really fair to blame him? We have an entire generation of money earning kids that have the attention span of a gnat. Golf is dying, professional online gaming (WTF?) is a thing. Maybe this guy is just trying to save the game? Kinda tough to sell to this new crowd that values experiences over anything else. "Yeah, the game starts at 3:30. End? Not sure. Could be 6, could be 9. Leave your schedule open."
    That shit works great for me. I love that the game could never end. I sat through 18 innings of Rays Vs Red Sox about 5 years ago, and got home at 2:30 AM on a Tuesday. It was awesome, but I can see how young people wouldn't dig it.

I think they'll kill the game by trying to make it "modern", that it's best preserved and appreciated as it is. But that's exactly what an old guy would think, so I dunno.

not too stoked on earliest opener ever. Skiing or day game baseball with the boy is not a decision I want to be thinking about unless I am in Norcal in the late spring.
    April home games can be brutal up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    not too stoked on earliest opener ever. Skiing or day game baseball with the boy is not a decision I want to be thinking about unless I am in Norcal in the late spring.
    April home games can be brutal up here.
    early openers do suck, but i hope they were smart enough to schedule them down south but i doubt they are with manfred running the show and some sort of insistence on 'fairness'. snow/rain-outs in the beginning can have repercussions all season and the right thing to do would have been when they started expanding the postseason to go back to 154 so we could get the games in during a calendar year (almost).

2019: Every honest sox fan should realize that the yankees series was exceptionally close and we'll be doing it again this october (maybe with a different ending). Sox starters looking really good though, and Houston just remains awesome.

Pitchers and catchers, report!

ETA DAFUQ:

The London Series will commence with the Boston Red Sox hosting the New York Yankees at London Stadium in London, England, on June 29 and 30 making it the first ever regular season series in London under a two-year commitment.[6]
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi