Page 71 of 74 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 1849

Thread: MLB Thread 2019

Her bust?
    I still call it The Jake.

I'm fine with that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

so these guys have gone through the tapes of the Astros season and came up with before and afters from the trash-can banging which started to appear on May 19th. Pretty thorough. And may force MLB's hand because they should get evidence at least this good.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/which-pl...sign-stealing/

Fuckers stole a ring.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Manfred is really talking about cutting 42 MiLB teams? He really wants to be the worst commish since Selig.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...or-league-cuts

Hey...it’s free agency time! Give me a look:

https://youtu.be/AVm-HwAkVp8

In case you didn’t notice, that was off 32

Marvin Miller and Ted Simmons make the Hall.

Evans got 8 votes, Parker 7, Garvey and Whitaker 6, and everyone else got 3 or fewer.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

MLB Thread 2019

I’ve got nothing against Ted Simmons, but how him and not Garvey? Or for that matter Parker? Comparable stats
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 12-09-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    I’ve got nothing against Ted Simmons, but how him and not Garvey?
    Because Simmons was the superior player for a longer time, given he was at a much harder position (IMO, and apparently the voters' opinions as well, even though Garvey was the bigger "star"). Some disagree, including others posting in this thread. It's all been covered.
    Last edited by Danno; 12-09-2019 at 04:04 PM.

In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

strasburg back to the Nats, 7 / 245M

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Manfred is really talking about cutting 42 MiLB teams? He really wants to be the worst commish since Selig.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...or-league-cuts
    Haven't been following baseball news, first I heard of that. Apparently MLB owners voted 30-0 in favor of the proposal.

“I cannot believe the arrogance of these people,” a minor league team owner told the Daily News. “They don’t care about lawsuits or anything. They think they’re bullet proof. They’ve told us, ‘We’re doing this and there’s no discussion about it, and if you don’t like it, we’ll form our own minor leagues.’”

Fuck those people.

And, interesting number. 42. Really, 42?

couldn’t agree more. they pay all this lip service to keeping young kids interested. you think cheap games with fun fan stuff at small parks might help with that? gee boss.... nahhhh

They all get to scrimmage each other in South Florida all summer where it is amazingly cool. Ex son in law would typically lose 20 pounds a summer playing in St. Lucie.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Yankees get Cole. 9 years and $324 million. I wanted the Dodgers to get him, but damn that’s high. Here’s hoping it doesn’t work out well.

What are the chances that he's still pitching effectively five or more years from now?

Kershaw had, I think, two great seasons after re-signing and then back injuries diminished his abilities. Now he's a number (#) three starter at best, and certainly not worth $31MM / year.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

9 years for a pitcher is wacked.

This will all seem cheap when in 9 years the Steven A. Cohen Mets sign a pitcher for a cool billion.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

So these pitchers have signed for amounts well in excess of my Tribe’s annual payroll.

Yeah, this should work out well for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    So these pitchers have signed for amounts well in excess of my Tribe’s annual payroll.

Yeah, this should work out well for everyone.
    Ask the Cubs, Giants, & Angels how much big payrolls = success. See also: Rays & As.

but the Indians seem a strange case:

From here:
    https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/i...es/20190217155
    "we’re not buying the small-market cries of poverty.

MLB revenues hit a record $10.3 billion last year. If the Indians enjoy a smaller slice of pie than others, they are doing fine. Consider that Larry Dolan bought the Indians from Dick Jacobs for $323 million in 2000. They are now worth $1.05 billion, according to Forbes."

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Ask the Cubs, Giants, & Angels how much big payrolls = success. See also: Rays & As.

but the Indians seem a strange case:

From here:
    https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/i...es/20190217155
    "we’re not buying the small-market cries of poverty.

MLB revenues hit a record $10.3 billion last year. If the Indians enjoy a smaller slice of pie than others, they are doing fine. Consider that Larry Dolan bought the Indians from Dick Jacobs for $323 million in 2000. They are now worth $1.05 billion, according to Forbes."
    Too true. The Tribe straddles the line of crying poor and making wise trades and investments better than most teams, but I’m curious to see where this goes in 15-20 years when you have a handful of teams making half-billion dollar contracts with one player. Will that relegate the small market clubs to effectively minor league operations?

Who knows, as pointed out, baseball is a funny sport where big $ does not always equal big results.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Too true. The Tribe straddles the line of crying poor and making wise trades and investments better than most teams, but I’m curious to see where this goes in 15-20 years when you have a handful of teams making half-billion dollar contracts with one player. Will that relegate the small market clubs to effectively minor league operations?

Who knows, as pointed out, baseball is a funny sport where big $ does not always equal big results.
    The questions you have for 15-20 years from now are not new questions, people were asking the same questions about what will happen to baseball in "15-20 years" some 15 to 20 years ago.

MLB Thread 2019

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    9 years for a pitcher is wacked.
    They don’t count on him performing at that level for 9 years, it’s the total amount of money that’s the issue. The Yankees think that 324mm is worth at least one WS they think they’ll win

Btw....Verlander is 38, the same age Cole will be in his last contract year
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

These big contracts are outliers, only the daring few will make them. Fortunately for baseball owners, for every Harper or Cole contract there are plenty of kids making the league minimum.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Ask the Cubs, Giants, & Angels how much big payrolls = success.."
    3 rings for the giants, 1 for the cubs. It’s the hangover from those years that hurts, the big payroll and no post season.

Is it better to pay lots of money like Yankees have for the past decade to be eliminated in the post season because the only team the can reliably beat is the twins?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    . It’s the hangover from those years that hurts, the big payroll and no post season.
    Boston Red Sox to the courtesy phone.
    Paging the Boston Red Sox...