Page 72 of 75 FirstFirst ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 1851

Thread: MLB Thread 2019

  1. #1776
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Ask the Cubs, Giants, & Angels how much big payrolls = success.."
    3 rings for the giants, 1 for the cubs. It’s the hangover from those years that hurts, the big payroll and no post season.

    Is it better to pay lots of money like Yankees have for the past decade to be eliminated in the post season because the only team the can reliably beat is the twins?

  2. #1777
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    10,403
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    . It’s the hangover from those years that hurts, the big payroll and no post season.
    Boston Red Sox to the courtesy phone.
    Paging the Boston Red Sox...

  3. #1778
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Boston Red Sox to the courtesy phone.
    Paging the Boston Red Sox...
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  4. #1779
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    19,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The questions you have for 15-20 years from now are not new questions, people were asking the same questions about what will happen to baseball in "15-20 years" some 15 to 20 years ago.
    Did we get the answers? I think I was absent that day.

    I guess Iím really wondering if we will hit a point where a certain dollar amount is deemed too much and ownership moves for a salary cap.
    I still call it The Jake.

  5. #1780
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,811
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Did we get the answers? I think I was absent that day.

    I guess I’m really wondering if we will hit a point where a certain dollar amount is deemed too much and ownership moves for a salary cap.
    the luxury tax has created a big drag on salaries, the average has not improved adjusted to inflation since 1991. Anyway, the tax and a hard cap just do the same thing, which is make the owners richer. It'd be nice if the bottom feeder teams even spent the luxury tax money though. The Players Union is getting crushed over the last decade.
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

    http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

  6. #1781
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,183
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I guess Iím really wondering if we will hit a point where a certain dollar amount is deemed too much and ownership moves for a salary cap.
    Cba expires after 2021 season, weíll find out soon enough. While I donít think they like paying that much money, they like having highly paid stars to market and talk about all season long

  7. #1782
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    6,014
    Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    the luxury tax has created a big drag on salaries, the average has not improved adjusted to inflation since 1991. Anyway, the tax and a hard cap just do the same thing, which is make the owners richer. It'd be nice if the bottom feeder teams even spent the luxury tax money though. The Players Union is getting crushed over the last decade.
    Yeah, there needs to be some parity created somehow between the markets. That's why the NFL is better than MLB and NBA for small market teams. There's a hard cap, but you also have to spend most of that cap I believe. Forcing the Royals of the world to pay for players makes the whole league better and raises the average salary of players.

  8. #1783
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    22,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Yeah, there needs to be some parity created somehow between the markets. That's why the NFL is better than MLB and NBA for small market teams. There's a hard cap, but you also have to spend most of that cap I believe. Forcing the Royals of the world to pay for players makes the whole league better and raises the average salary of players.
    Except a salary cap would have unintended consequences, unless the owners agree to massive revenue sharing. Because while it might make the Royals pay players more, and the Yankees pay players less, the overall revenue isn't shared to the same extent as it is in the other sports (at least I don't think it is). So a salary cap might level the playing field (pun intended), but it would also make the owners of the big market teams even richer, because they couldn't spend more on their team.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  9. #1784
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Yeah, there needs to be some parity created somehow between the markets. That's why the NFL is better than MLB and NBA for small market teams. There's a hard cap, but you also have to spend most of that cap I believe. Forcing the Royals of the world to pay for players makes the whole league better and raises the average salary of players.
    royals were in back to back series and won one. How much better could they get? The players union would love wage inflation, not seeing much advantage to the fans.

  10. #1785
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    6,014
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    royals were in back to back series and won one. How much better could they get?
    Sure, but then they sold off their whole team and a couple years later are back to being one of the worst teams in baseball while not even sniffing the luxury tax.

  11. #1786
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Sure, but then they sold off their whole team and a couple years later are back to being one of the worst teams in baseball while not even sniffing the luxury tax.
    the redskins suck every year in the nfl And bottom of the nfl games are unwatchable garbage.

    money doesn’t mandate competence or giving a fuck. The problem is - there just aren’t 5hat many players worth spending money on. Baseball & football just don’t have enough talent depth.

  12. #1787
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,811

    MLB Thread 2019

    is there still a perception of parity problems in mlb? weíve seen the hard luck cubs, nats, astros, and royals all win in the last ten years. some teams donít spend (payouts to marlins exceeded their budget on a couple of occasions iirc), but itís not like the yanks, dodgers, mets or boston win every year.

    and while cole might make the yanks favorites, if he pulls up lame in year 3 i donít see how that contract added to stanton wonít cripple them.
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

    http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

  13. #1788
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    38,249
    Hey, waitaminute. I didn't hear everyone whining about long term zillion dollar contracts last year when the Yankees didn't sign anybody

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  14. #1789
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    22,125
    Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    is there still a perception of parity problems in mlb? we’ve seen the hard luck cubs, nats, astros, and royals all win in the last ten years. some teams don’t spend (payouts to marlins exceeded their budget on a couple of occasions iirc), but it’s not like the yanks, dodgers, mets or boston win every year.

    and while cole might make the yanks favorites, if he pulls up lame in year 3 i don’t see how that contract added to stanton won’t cripple them.
    did you just include the Cubs and Astros in a list of supposed "small market teams"? Even the Nats don't belong in that list.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  15. #1790
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    6,014

    MLB Thread 2019

    Those teams fall on the opposite end IMO. Huge payrolls that were horribly mismanaged until they finally clicked for one or two seasons.

    My beef is owners pocketing huge profits while not even trying to be competitive. That seems to have been a trend the last couple of years. The Rays are another offender.

  16. #1791
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    22,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Those teams fall on the opposite end IMO. Huge payrolls that were horribly mismanaged until they finally clicked for one or two seasons.

    My beef is owners pocketing huge profits while not even trying to be competitive. That seems to have been a trend the last couple of years. The Rays are another offender.
    Your sentence appears to say the Rays are a team "pocketing huge profits while not even trying to be competitive". Um, what? The Rays are a low revenue small market team that somehow has made the playoffs 4 times in the last 10 years, and topped 90 wins 6 times in the last 10 years, averaging 86 wins per year.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  17. #1792
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    did you just include the Cubs and Astros in a list of supposed "small market teams"? Even the Nats don't belong in that list.
    I'm saying that championships are spread out at a cursory glance with no team dominating. I think that if you looked at division winners it would look fairly similar, and probably better than other leagues like the NFL with strong caps.

    If baseball has a problem with a lack of talent like Dunfree suggested, contract the useless teams, and make sure the minors are robust enough to get people in the bigs that deserve it.

    The new playoff system sucks too.

    Maybe Supermoon meant the useless Marlins... (who have won twice in the past 25 years but then sell everything off and keep the change)...
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

    http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

  18. #1793
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,802
    Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    and while cole might make the yanks favorites, if he pulls up lame in year 3 i don’t see how that contract added to stanton won’t cripple them.
    They'll just increase the beer prices.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  19. #1794
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    6,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Your sentence appears to say the Rays are a team "pocketing huge profits while not even trying to be competitive". Um, what? The Rays are a low revenue small market team that somehow has made the playoffs 4 times in the last 10 years, and topped 90 wins 6 times in the last 10 years, averaging 86 wins per year.
    Rays total payroll was only something like $60mil last year. Sure they were pretty competitive, but that money they don't spend on players goes to the owners. You don't think even the worst teams in pro sports don't turn handsome profits every year?

    Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Maybe Supermoon meant the useless Marlins... (who have won twice in the past 25 years but then sell everything off and keep the change)...
    Them too.

    The argument isn't whether or not you have to spend money to win. You can be semi-competitive and not break the bank, but the majority of teams that compete year in year out are not the $60 mil. teams. It's the $200 mil teams.

    A's, Royals, Marlins, Rays, etc, they may compete for a year or two, but won't spend the money to keep the team together in order to stay competitive. The owners cash out and move on.

  20. #1795
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Rays total payroll was only something like $60mil last year. Sure they were pretty competitive, but that money they don't spend on players goes to the owners. You don't think even the worst teams in pro sports don't turn handsome profits every year?


    Them too.

    The argument isn't whether or not you have to spend money to win. You can be semi-competitive and not break the bank, but the majority of teams that compete year in year out are not the $60 mil. teams. It's the $200 mil teams.

    A's, Royals, Marlins, Rays, etc, they may compete for a year or two, but won't spend the money to keep the team together in order to stay competitive. The owners cash out and move on.
    Luxury tax for the top teams, poverty tax for the bottom where they are forced to give kids, teachers, veterans, and emt's free tickets to games if they are below .475 and can't bring 20k.
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

    http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

  21. #1796
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,183
    Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Luxury tax for the top teams, poverty tax for the bottom where they are forced to give kids, teachers, veterans, and emt's free tickets to games if they are below .475 and can't bring 20k.
    relegation is the solution . Until there’s a big penalty for being bad, things won’t change. It’s actually “smart” to bomb the season if you’ve no chance

  22. #1797
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,811
    i like it. theyíd never have the stones tho.
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

    http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

  23. #1798
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ECO
    Posts
    4,398
    Billy Beane has shown a lot of loyalty to Oaktown. But I sometimes wonder if part of it is he just likes the challenge.

  24. #1799
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,090
    How the hell did the Dodgers lose Rendon to the fucking Angels? At some point they need to realize they are a big market team and throw some stupid money around.

  25. #1800
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ECO
    Posts
    4,398
    Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    How the hell did the Dodgers lose Rendon to the fucking Angels? At some point they need to realize they are a big market team and throw some stupid money around.
    Don't you like Turner? I don't like the Dodgers, but I like Turner. True Blue.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •