Page 49 of 74 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1849

Thread: MLB Thread 2019

Ha, I spent some time in W NY as a kid and my dad took me to some games at Muni Stadium. Always seemed to sit behind some old guy smoking a cigar.

In that same era was War Memorial Stadium in Buffalo. They were looking for extras for The Natural to fill the stands and my friends dad, my friend and I went. It was a lot of sitting and waiting and we sat far away near the top of the stands, but I can always say I was in a movie...somewhere. The Bisons AAA team used to play there in the 80's. You really felt you were back in the 1930's every time you went. For some reason I remember it had these really long steel poles supporting the roof which were all riveted and really dark hallways under the stands. Cool but spooky.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Marcus Semien has been getting some run but I haven't watched enough of either to compare.
    Should MVP be the best player or the most valuable, (for the team they play for, perhaps)?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/athletic...php?psid=oqXe1

The left side of the A’s infield is really fun to watch.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    You really felt you were back in the 1930's every time you went. For some reason I remember it had these really long steel poles supporting the roof which were all riveted and really dark hallways under the stands. Cool but spooky.
    Excellent description, that’s exactly how I remember it.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    If there was a Best Player Award he'd win it, but I agree about MVP, hard to figure out how valuable you were to a team that sucked.
    Valuable:
    worth a great deal of money.
    "a valuable antique"
    extremely useful or important.
    " a valuable component"

Think Mike Trout fits both very well. He is the best fucking player in baseball hands down. ANY of us would take him in a second on our team no matter who we gave up.

he should walk to the AL award again.

NL, hope for Belli but he has been hot and cold second half. Couldnt argue with Rendon plus fuck you to Harper.

Even if we argue about what "valuable" means in this context, not sure how one could argue that Bregman is more valuable to the Astros then Trout is to the Angels. I mean, there are 7 other position players on the Astros with at least 3 WAR, including one with almost 6 WAR, and 2 pitchers with over 6 WAR a piece. Does anyone think that the Astros would not be in the exact same spot in the standings if Bregman never played an inning? How does that make him more deserving of the MVP? Simply because he's on a MUCH better team, with 2 former MVPs and a bunch of all stars?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It really is nuts seeing how good the Astros are when you put it that way.

José Ramirez comes off the IL from broken hamate bone surgery early tonight and in his first fucking at-bat the man hits a fucking GRAND SLAM!!!

HOLY SHIT!?!!! In his NEXT at-bat, from the OTHER SIDE other side of the plate Josie hits a THREE RUN JACK!!!

7 RBI for the man and it’s just the 3rd inning.

Dude is unreal.

The Trop is OK sometimes.

Several friends have come down for Red Sox games, and when they get in there, they always say it is much nicer than they had heard. I think NESN must spread the Trop hate or something. If we had an outdoor stadium, we would be rained out half the time, and you would sweat your balls off all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    i don’t know what’s wrong with the people in tampa but if they play 40 games at the stade olympique i would be super stoked.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/1686102001
    I could see either the Rays or Marlins moving (to Vegas?) and the remaining FL team playing half their games in Tampa and the other half in Miami. Still probably be last in MLB in attendance.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    I could see either the Rays or Marlins moving (to Vegas?) and the remaining FL team playing half their games in Tampa and the other half in Miami. Still probably be last in MLB in attendance.
    I'm actually really down with the idea of the Dbacks moving to Vegas. Spring training attendance will jump in AZ, Tampa can go to Montreal, and with only one team in FL maybe Miami will get a jump if the rebuild turns out the way it's looking like it will.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    HOLY SHIT!?!!! In his NEXT at-bat, from the OTHER SIDE other side of the plate Josie hits a THREE RUN JACK!!!

7 RBI for the man and it’s just the 3rd inning.

Dude is unreal.
    Saw awesome, keeping you in the WC!

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    didn’t the marlins just get a stadium? vegas would be sweet for a team though. Boston’s park is pretty lousy....
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Boston’s park is pretty lousy....
    know you are trolling the chowds, but 3 ballparks that should never be torn down
    Fenway, Wrigley, and Dodger Stadium
    Renos, sure, but on the old field. Yankee stadium 1 & 2 is the perfect example. The new stadium blows. The old one def needed work, but upgrade some bathrooms and utilities, keep the soul.
    Last edited by Woodsy; 09-25-2019 at 01:43 PM.

I loved old Tiger Stadium, and not just for the number of gunshots you could hear from the exterior corridors. Made you feel like you were stepping back in time.

Is it still boarded up and standing or did it finally succumb to hell night fires?

Not trolling, Fenway is easily the worst I've ever been to. And I went to Shea as a kid. Terrible sight lines nearly everywhere. Single handedly keeping chiropractors in biz since 1912. Stupidly narrow concourses. The whole yawkey thing is fine but the park itself is a dump. Nostalgia ain't worth that much.

The Coliseum is way better than it gets credit for - the worst part is how far the good seats are from the action.

Keeping the tiny seats is just stupid and I love keeping things as original as possible. People were smaller back then, adjust.

And to beat a tired drum: Valuable=remove him from the team and there is a significant drop in overall team success that season. A contending team very much preferred.

They were well on the way to replacing Fenway but then 2004 happened, now it's pretty impossible. If they made the seats bigger they couldn't fit as many, no way they'll change that.

Vegas? Are that many people looking to go to Vegas April-September? Football (fall), Hockey(fall-winter-spring) have tons of visiting fans looking for an excuse to GTFO of gray cold hellhole. filling 81 games at anything close to a decent price would be difficult I'd think, but who knows.

the Indians ownership of the Tigers has to be close to a modern record. 18-1 this season.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Vegas? Are that many people looking to go to Vegas April-September? Football (fall), Hockey(fall-winter-spring) have tons of visiting fans looking for an excuse to GTFO of gray cold hellhole. filling 81 games at anything close to a decent price would be difficult I'd think, but who knows.

the Indians ownership of the Tigers has to be close to a modern record. 18-1 this season.
    It's a franchise record for the Tribe that's for sure.

The Mets were eliminated tonight. But deGrom locked up his second straight Cy Young Award. Best pitcher in baseball.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

THE MUTHA FUCKING TWINS!!!!

average score of this yanks series will be 12-10

the path to the WS looks pretty hard in the AL, these teams are all the class of the league at least.

the path to the WS looks pretty hard in the AL, these teams are all the class of the league at least.
    quoted for posterity
    We will see.
    ALDS and CS will be battles as you mention.
    Dodgers if they make it can play well in either NL or AL park

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    quoted for posterity
    We will see.
    ALDS and CS will be battles as you mention.
    Dodgers if they make it can play well in either NL or AL park
    Quote all you like, the Dodgers have an easier path to the WS than any AL team.