Page 23 of 74 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Thread 2019

Speaking of all time relative greatness, pedroia said he may never play again. His career stats look pretty good. Better than a few old timey slap hitting second basemen that might be in the Hall already, not that I'd have him join them. Still, he had a great career, and I won't miss him.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Speaking of all time relative greatness, pedroia said he may never play again. His career stats look pretty good. Better than a few old timey slap hitting second basemen that might be in the Hall already, not that I'd have him join them. Still, he had a great career, and I won't miss him.
    Much as I love Pedroia, he doesn't belong. He needed 4-5 more quality years. Plus second basemen without obvious counting stats don't get in. See Lou Whittaker. That guy was better than a bunch of guys in the hall.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Actually, if you hit a home run and no one is one base, you still score a run. That's kind of like, one of the reasons why home runs are so good.

And if you want to talk about getting on base, well Mike Schmidt's career OBP was .380. Tony Gwynn's was .388. But Mike hit 413 more home runs than Gwynn. You can have Gwynn and talk about how he's a "pure hitter" or some other bullshit romanticism that is dying out because, well, it makes no sense. I'll take Schmidt and win baseball games.

Babe Ruth held the all-time record for career strikeouts for 35 years.
    Mickey Mantle passed him and held the record for 14 years.
    Willie Stargell passed him and held the record for 4 years.
    Reggie Jackson then broke the record and has held it ever since.

You should call up the Hall of Fame and tell them to move those guys the "Not-Great Hitters Wing" because of some bit of inane "wisdom" your little league coach imparted to you while you were practicing bunting with your Nellie Fox signature bat.
    You must be an ARod fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You must be an ARod fan.
    Can't stand ARod or Reggie Jackson. But I don't pretend they sucked at baseball.

You must be a Jeter fan. You know who's a good comp for Jeter? Lou Whitaker. ARod was more like Mickey Mantle or Stan Musial. I mean, fuck ARod, but, ignoring steroids and his personality, he was incredible.

Reggie was an obvious HOFer but nowhere near the top tier. He's right there with Jeter and, IMO, Lou Whitaker.
    Last edited by I've seen black diamonds!; 05-28-2019 at 10:55 AM.

So, it was a get off my lawn thing?
    yep...guy hated mountain bikers. Another trail got closed because he thought the mountain bikers were trashing a trail called Trail E that used to connect Rocky Canyon road to the Terraces trail when in fact it was the ATV'ers and whiskey tango mothafuckers leaving all sorts of trash up there.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Can't stand ARod or Reggie Jackson. But I don't pretend they sucked at baseball.

You must be a Jeter fan. You know who's a good comp for Jeter? Lou Whitaker. ARod was more like Mickey Mantle or Stan Musial. I mean, fuck ARod, but, ignoring steroids and his personality, he was incredible.

Reggie was an obvious HOFer but nowhere near the top tier. He's right there with Jeter and, IMO, Lou Whitaker.
    There is no reason to keep Lou Whittaker out of the HOF especially considering how underrepresented the 80s are.

Reggie is so annoying.

Reggie is so annoying.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Jim Thome had a higher career OBP than Gwynn, Carew, Brett, Ichiro, Rose, Molitor, Yount, Ripken, Yastremski and most other guys with 3000 hits.

And over 600 home runs. Too many K's to be a great hitter though. Should have grounded out more.

Regarding Buckner, if people thinks it's unfair to remember the guy for making the worst play with the worst consequences in the history of American sports (congrats Scott Norwood, "wide right" is merely a distant second) then we could remember him for being the only mediocre player to appear in more than 2500 games.

Check out the Top 100 in games played. Everyone on the list was a HOFer or a damn good player. Except Buckner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...played_leaders

MLB Thread 2019

People forget Stanley pitched like shit, couldn’t get that last strike, then threw a wild pitch to tie the game. Fuck him too. Then the Sox led in Game seven and still lost.

Since then, Boston has become Titletown so oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Looks like I was right about Joe Kelly. D Roberts only uses him him in blow-out situations and he still can't buy an out.
    He needs to be sent down for a while to get his shit together. The bullpen is a big weakness right now, I wonder if they’ll make any moves to patch it up a bit.

Agreed. When I've seen him pitch, his stuff looked good, both fastball and slider. But his placement looks way the fuck off. Can't get his location figured out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Career average of .299. He was 3-32 the last two years dealing with his knee (or something like that) which pushed him under .300 for his career. Bummer. Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up with a coaching gig at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Career average of .299. He was 3-32 the last two years dealing with his knee (or something like that) which pushed him under .300 for his career. Bummer. Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up with a coaching gig at some point.
    It's a pity to see a ballplayer get his career cut short like that. Especially one who obviously lives and breathes the game.

One day you're on top of the world, early 30s, still feeling like you're in your prime. Then some asshat spikes your knee or your ankle and your career is fucked. I guess that's life at the keystone and he can cry himself to sleep on his giant pile of money with his World Series rings, but I feel for Pedroia.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Jezuz, all careers come to an end, and he had a good, long one. 12-13 seasons, MVP, rings, multiple all star. If he saved his money, he'll be fine. Until dementia.

Jezuz, all careers come to an end, and he had a good, long one. 12-13 seasons, MVP, rings, multiple all star. If he saved his money, he'll be fine. Until dementia.
    Yankees fans in this very thread are still mourning Mattingly's 32 year old back injury, but you're already bitching because Sox fans wish Pedroia had been healthier on the day he announces his career may be over. That pretty much sums you up, Benny.

Jezuz, are you on drugs or something? Fuck off.

But is Pedroia good enough for Benny’s Hall of Almost Good and Related PED All-Stars?

Maybe a prized spot for his plaque next to Ted Williams’ frozen head, yet still not top billing behind the bar?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    But is Pedroia good enough for Benny’s Hall of Almost Good and Related PED All-Stars?
    He didn't strike out much!

MLB Thread 2019

Does he really still get $42,500,000?
    Uno mas

Does Bobby Bonilla get paid next month?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Does Bobby Bonilla get paid next month?
    Pretty sure he collects on that until around 2030.

I just looked it up. June 29. $1.19 million. Through 2035

Jezuz, are you on drugs or something? Fuck off.

MLB Thread 2019

Sad. The lack of baseball knowledge is excruciating in the above posts. There's your de-evolution. Like bunting. And base running. Nobody knows how to do it anymore.

The whole point is to score runs. The home run/strikeout Kings need guys on base for that. Duh.

You forgot Reggie Jackson. Now there's somebody everybody thinks is a great player because he hit home runs in the clutch. Whiffed more than anybody in his era, couldn't field for shit, and everybody in the clubhouse hated him. But you guys are probably going to say he was a great hitter or something.
    You think bunting and stealing bases lead to more runs?

People strike out at higher rates today than ever before. Pitchers are also throwing way harder and much better at mixing up pitches. Hitters finally went away from the idiotic old time baseball practice of “swing down” and have started using slight upper cut swings. The league is more skilled than ever before.
    All-stars from the 80s would be completely overwhelmed by today’s game.

Doesn’t mean it is more fun to watch though.