Page 22 of 74 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Thread 2019

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    "On Sunday, the last full day of Bill Buckner's life, 16 major leaguers struck out at least three times. Buckner played 22 seasons and never did it once."
    What, wait, what? Um, source, please. Kinda impossible.

Edit: oh, you mean three times. Of course. He was a contact hitter/good eye ala Boggs, or, the master, Carew.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Good riddance is all I can say. Not because of his MLB playing, but because of certain interactions with him between friends of mine.
    Your friends were being assholes? He got a lot of that after the error.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    What, wait, what? Um, source, please. Kinda impossible.
    It was on the twitters, but I found this from a couple hours ago which makes the math seem plausible. I don't know if I would reference Joey fucking Gallo for really anything at this point.
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/b...nfamous-error/
    "In general, Buckner wasn't one for walking or striking out. He did so at equal rates (4.5 percent of his plate appearances), and finished his career with a total of 903 walks and strikeouts. He never fanned more than 39 times in a season. For reference Joey Gallo -- a high-quality hitter -- has struck out 67 times this season in his first 45 games."

High quality hitters don't strike out a lot. Power hitters do.

Btw, that was one hairy guy.

High quality hitters don't strike out a lot. Power hitters do.
    The game has (d)evolved, but <100K/season is a big separator for me over the years. Gallo will be there by the 4th of July. Not a fan.

Again, it's simple. If you strike out that much, you aren't a "high quality hitter". That hasn't changed, no matter how the game has.

Ted Williams, 50 per 162 games.

DiMaggio, 34 per 162 games.

That's high quality, and both had power stats

Again, it's simple. If you strike out that much, you aren't a "high quality hitter". That hasn't changed, no matter how the game has.

I would consider those guys in a different category than "high-quality". More like "elite-quality".

Mike Schmidt struck out plenty. Led the league half a dozen times. Best hitter (and player) of his generation, unless you make up an arbitrary definitions of hitter that is divorced from scoring runs, or you're an old fuck who still thinks batting average matters.

Ken Griffey
    Mickey Mantle
    Manny Ramirez
    etc.

It's a long fucking list

I have an extra appreciation for batting average. It's just what I am drawn to. Only power is not quite meh, but in that direction.

babe ruth sure sucked in the years he led the league in strikeouts, like uhhh, 1927 for the murderers row.

you can make an argument about the importance of being able to put the bat on the ball, but the rest of what your saying is gibberish. strikeouts are merely one input to a batters total value.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Just think if the Babe actually cared.

Sad. The lack of baseball knowledge is excruciating in the above posts. There's your de-evolution. Like bunting. And base running. Nobody knows how to do it anymore.

The whole point is to score runs. The home run/strikeout Kings need guys on base for that. Duh.

You forgot Reggie Jackson. Now there's somebody everybody thinks is a great player because he hit home runs in the clutch. Whiffed more than anybody in his era, couldn't field for shit, and everybody in the clubhouse hated him. But you guys are probably going to say he was a great hitter or something.

MLB Thread 2019

A couple of beautiful outfield assists by Bellinger tonight. Teams better start thinking twice before running on this Dodger outfield.

https://twitter.com/dodgers/status/1...320423424?s=21

https://twitter.com/dodgers/status/1...862390272?s=21
    Last edited by alias_rice; 05-27-2019 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Adding links

Sad. The lack of baseball knowledge is excruciating in the above posts. There's your de-evolution. Like bunting. And base running. Nobody knows how to do it anymore.

The whole point is to score runs. The home run/strikeout Kings need guys on base for that. Duh.

You forgot Reggie Jackson. Now there's somebody everybody thinks is a great player because he hit home runs in the clutch. Whiffed more than anybody in his era, couldn't field for shit, and everybody in the clubhouse hated him. But you guys are probably going to say he was a great hitter or something.
    thanks, suzyn.

is roger clemens in the building?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Good riddance is all I can say. Not because of his MLB playing, but because of certain interactions with him between friends of mine.
    Explain, please
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^^man that's just 8 years ago, BB seemed like he was doing pretty good, and now he's dead of dementia? wow. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    A couple of beautiful outfield assists by Bellinger tonight. Teams better start thinking twice before running on this Dodger outfield.

https://twitter.com/dodgers/status/1...320423424?s=21

https://twitter.com/dodgers/status/1...862390272?s=21
    along with hitting >.380 & 49 RBIs,
    best player in Baseball right now.

Looks like I was right about Joe Kelly. D Roberts only uses him him in blow-out situations and he still can't buy an out.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Bellinger is awesome, but I just feel bad for the Mets. MLB should consider going to an Italian soccer model, maybe there's a AAA team out there that could provide a better value than the Wilpon's.

Don't forget that the Wilpons lost an enormous amount of money to Madoff, at the same time they decided to build a really expensive new stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Explain, please
    Bill was a dick to my friends. It goes something like this. There was an old trail in the Boise foothills "The Terraces" trail that used to be open for public access from a number of locations. Apparently the trail had been closed at some point and not many knew about the closure as there was no signage at the top of the trail stating the trail was closed for public access. Said trail pretty much came out in Bill Buckner's backyard (ranch), my friends descended said trail into Buckner's backyard, he came out irate that some "damned mountain bikers" were trespassing on his property and threatened them and told them they'd be taking them to court for trespassing. Court date came, and Buckner was a no show in court, judge dismissed trespassing charges knowing Buckner was a dick about this kind of issue.

So, it was a get off my lawn thing?

The home run/strikeout Kings need guys on base for that. Duh.
    Actually, if you hit a home run and no one is one base, you still score a run. That's kind of like, one of the reasons why home runs are so good.

And if you want to talk about getting on base, well Mike Schmidt's career OBP was .380. Tony Gwynn's was .388. But Mike hit 413 more home runs than Gwynn. You can have Gwynn and talk about how he's a "pure hitter" or some other bullshit romanticism that is dying out because, well, it makes no sense. I'll take Schmidt and win baseball games.

Babe Ruth held the all-time record for career strikeouts for 35 years.
    Mickey Mantle passed him and held the record for 14 years.
    Willie Stargell passed him and held the record for 4 years.
    Reggie Jackson then broke the record and has held it ever since.

You should call up the Hall of Fame and tell them to move those guys the "Not-Great Hitters Wing" because of some bit of inane "wisdom" your little league coach imparted to you while you were practicing bunting with your Nellie Fox signature bat.