Page 6 of 74 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Thread 2019

There are a finite number of franchises, but unlimited $10 hot dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    A Rod good (and mostly great) for every year of his 10 year deal. 10 years can work out for steroid users.
    Um, no. How many games did he miss due to injury? Hell, the dude had his damn hip replaced. And then there's the whole debacle around his steroid use that destroyed his value as the next Babe late in his career, which is why the Yankees paid him so much. No, he's a classic example of a player that's rewarded late in his carrer for his prime with another team. Like Pujols.

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Um, no. How many games did he miss due to injury? Hell, the dude had his damn hip replaced. And then there's the whole debacle around his steroid use that destroyed his value as the next Babe late in his career, which is why the Yankees paid him so much. No, he's a classic example of a player that's rewarded late in his carrer for his prime with another team. Like Pujols.
    apples and oranges, you’re comparing his second deal to the first.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

The Yankees paid him so much because George was getting senile. Cashman wanted to let him walk

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    you’re comparing his second deal to the first.
    Exactly. During the 10 year deal sign with Texas that was traded to the Yankees, he averaged 151 games a season. He had a cumulative WAR of 82 over those ten seasons, which is more than Jeter's entire career, and above the median hall of fame career. Over that 10 year span he never had a season WAR under 4 (a streak neither Ruth or Williams managed in their careers).

Benny, you're thinking of the idiotic extension the Yankees signed him to.

I'm no A Rod fan, but he lived up to that first deal with a major assist from Biogenesis.

I'm no A Rod fan, but he lived up to that first deal with a major assist from Biogenesis.
    Batters on steroids against pitchers on steroids hitting balls to fielders on steroids. Sounds like a level playing field to me.

Outside of the HR records I'm not sure why anyone is so bothered by the steroid era of baseball.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Sure it’s just preseason, but any day the Sox beat the Yanks is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Sure it’s just preseason, but any day anyone beats the Yanks is a good day.
    FYP
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

MLB Thread 2019

Sure it’s just preseason, but any day the Sox beat the Yanks is a good day.
    enjoy it now, it’s going to be a short fall for you.

shots fired!

The original 10/250 MM that AROD signed was with Texas and began in his age 25 season. In the following 10 years that covered the original deal (through his age 34 season) he won three MVP awards and only missed the all Star game once. Through the first seven years of the contract, he was handily the best player in baseball. And the Yanks reduced his value and exposed him to more injury risk by forcing him off his natural position in order to soothe an inferior player / clubhouse prima donna.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

man, that last part is a stretch. 3b is less intense than shortstop and he was slowing down with age anyway, so maybe he could have played a little bit more at short but moving could have extended his career overall. we will just never know. and blaming jeter is just silly, arod wanted out of texas and greased the wheel to move. maybe he learned his lesson about being the ultimate prima donna when he tried to get the mets to approve his own private plane clause because the whole second half of your post is like if tmz started to write about baseball and had offices on yawkey ave

It's also kinda true though, Arod was a better ss than Jeter when he got there. I actually give some props to Arod for just saying whatever and rolling with the politics of it, he could've made it a lot more of a scene.

The Ken Burns "film" -Baseball, is on Amazon Prime streaming. I almost want to get the flu for a reason to watch the whole thing. Is that weird?

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    The Ken Burns "film" -Baseball, is on Amazon Prime streaming. I almost want to get the flu for a reason to watch the whole thing. Is that weird?
    Just fake it.

Just fake it.
    :cough, cough:
    I am gonna have to pick my spot. But maybe...

Stumbled across this. Here is link if you want to read more:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...sf_giants_who/

I'm a 2x World Series champ with the SF Giants who overcame addiction, depression, losing my career and identity. AMA!
    Audrey Huff here. I played Major League Baseball for 13 years with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Houston Astros, Baltimore Orioles, Detroit Tigers and won 2 World Series with the San Francisco Giants. I was a left-handed hitter and a right-handed 1st baseman who is probably best known for being the rally thong jackass. I was addicted to Adderal in my heyday from 2009-2011. In 2012, I got clean, then had a panic attack and my career ended.

From the following AMA he did on link
    You accomplished rarer feats than 99.9% of people. Good for you for turning the corner and being there for your family.
    Was adderal use widespread in the locker room around that time?

AubreyHuffOfficial
    It sure seemed to be towards the end of my career. I will be writting about my adderall abuse in a future blog. www.aubreyhuff.com

Exactly. During the 10 year deal sign with Texas that was traded to the Yankees, he averaged 151 games a season. He had a cumulative WAR of 82 over those ten seasons, which is more than Jeter's entire career, and above the median hall of fame career. Over that 10 year span he never had a season WAR under 4 (a streak neither Ruth or Williams managed in their careers).
    Come on now. WAR is an even more irrelevant stat than the save IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    Irrelevant to winning?

Irrelevant to scoring runs?

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Stumbled across this. Here is link if you want to read more:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...sf_giants_who/

I'm a 2x World Series champ with the SF Giants who overcame addiction, depression, losing my career and identity. AMA!
    Audrey Huff here. I played Major League Baseball for 13 years with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Houston Astros, Baltimore Orioles, Detroit Tigers and won 2 World Series with the San Francisco Giants. I was a left-handed hitter and a right-handed 1st baseman who is probably best known for being the rally thong jackass. I was addicted to Adderal in my heyday from 2009-2011. In 2012, I got clean, then had a panic attack and my career ended.

From the following AMA he did on link
    You accomplished rarer feats than 99.9% of people. Good for you for turning the corner and being there for your family.
    Was adderal use widespread in the locker room around that time?

AubreyHuffOfficial
    It sure seemed to be towards the end of my career. I will be writting about my adderall abuse in a future blog. www.aubreyhuff.com
    Mentioned this deep in the ADD thread but adderall fkn sucks.
    Hi grade High potency speed. and we give it to teens

MLB Thread 2019

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    WAR...huh...good God y’all...what is it good for? Absolutely nothing, say it again...

Irrelevant to winning?

Irrelevant to scoring runs?

I mean, the stat was literally built to track wins, so of course it has that correlation. I think backwards looking WAR and player-specific WAR are too granular to really tell you anything.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    WAR...huh...good God y’all...what is it good for? Absolutely nothing, say it again...
    Slow clap

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    And the Yanks reduced his value and exposed him to more injury risk by forcing him off his natural position in order to soothe an inferior player / clubhouse prima donna.
    Wait, what? If there is a hell, You deserve to go there for typing that, and have to wear a pink Sox hat, t shirt, and thong for eternity.

Wait, what? If there is a hell, You deserve to go there for typing that, and have to wear a pink Sox hat, t shirt, and thong for eternity.
    So just like Iceman?

I think backwards looking WAR and player-specific WAR are too granular to really tell you anything.
    What would prevent you then from applying that statement to any other counting stat on a player? If anything, WAR is much less granular as it takes into account park effects, defense, position, baserunning, etc.

I think you're exactly wrong on this.

ETA:

Hicks locked up for 7/70, sweet.