Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB Thread 2019

Pawds will be looking to trade him in 2-3 years when they are no better off than before.
    They have some young talent that is more likely to lift the bottom anyway. MM being paid like a leader, but he is not. For $300M, I want a true leader.
    Whatever, it's the Pawds.

Well, chances are he has a no trade or trade with approval contract, but, even if, who's going to pay that money for Manny Head Case? Wait. The Padres did, so, that's my answer. Fuck. This is getting so old. Maybe what's his name in Baltimore is right. Send them packing when they want to cash in. Keeps tickets at Camden very affordable. Whatever.

Well maybe now he can afford a new haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well maybe now he can afford a new haircut.
    You ever see how CC dresses off the field? Long term free agent contracts don't buy taste, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, chances are he has a no trade or trade with approval contract, but, even if, who's going to pay that money for Manny Head Case? Wait. The Padres did, so, that's my answer. Fuck. This is getting so old. Maybe what's his name in Baltimore is right. Send them packing when they want to cash in. Keeps tickets at Camden very affordable. Whatever.
    And then sign that boat anchor Davis? Who I believe had the third worst season of any player in history.

Which begs the question, who was worse because he was fucking awful all year last year.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Noone should get 10 years
    A Rod good (and mostly great) for every year of his 10 year deal. 10 years can work out for steroid users.

I mean it's the biggest contract in MLB history. Does anyone think that's a good bet? Besides the Padres I guess.

Harper will probably top it though.

That's why I said they will be looking to trade him. Whether they can is a different story. Guess that will depend on how well he plays in that pitcher friendly park.

I mean it's the biggest contract in MLB history. Does anyone think that's a good bet? Besides the Padres I guess.

Harper will probably top it though.
    Stanton has a thirteen year, 325 million contract the Yankees picked up.

Stanton has a thirteen year, 325 million contract the Yankees picked up.
    Yeah I dunno about that, this came out today: https://www.mlb.com/news/largest-con...ry/c-300060780 Not sure why Stanton's not on there. There's a list at the bottom ranked by average annual value and he's not on that either.

hopefully he opts out next year and then he’ll be someone else’s problem anyway.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Yeah I dunno about that, this came out today: https://www.mlb.com/news/largest-con...ry/c-300060780 Not sure why Stanton's not on there. There's a list at the bottom ranked by average annual value and he's not on that either.
    Stanton’s was a contract extension initially so it wasn’t counted on that list of largest free agent contracts.

exactly, Stanton was never a free agent
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    A Rod good (and mostly great) for every year of his 10 year deal. 10 years can work out for steroid users.
    see thats the elephant in the room right now.
    Noone can keep performing into their mid 30s with out the juice so young guys are such a better option for clubs, but noone wants to talk about it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/19/o...ombe-dead.html
    Newcombe should be in the fucking hall of fame.

War & segregation only reason hes not.

He was also pretty abrasive and intimidating by many accounts and didn't win many friends in the press. The war, no doubt you have to make allowances for that but 10 seasons...it didn't make it easier for him. And obviously segregation and no doubt plain old racism were factors. It's tough when the people who have to vote for you don't like you.

He was also pretty abrasive and intimidating by many accounts and didn't win many friends in the press. The war, no doubt you have to make allowances for that but 10 seasons...it didn't make it easier for him. And obviously segregation and no doubt plain old racism were factors. It's tough when the people who have to vote for you don't like you.
    A lot of players were dicks to the media.
    10 seasons in the majors
    4 years in the Negro leagues prior

In his first three seasons with the Dodgers, he was Rookie of the Year (1949), a three-time All-Star and had a 16.8 WAR — the best in baseball. Then he missed 1952 and 1953 due to military service. Talk about missing years of your prime on both sides.
    Comes back from war, has 1 mediocre season in 54, then wins 20 games in 55. 1956 he won the NL Cy Young Award and MVP.

’49-’57, he had a 3.42 ERA, 119 ERA+, 3.56 FIP and a 1.18 WHIP — second best in baseball during that span.
    he declined later in his career but how many eligible Cy young winners with an MVP and ROY arent in the hall?

Plus the off the field stuff. First black man to be a true ace starter, first Cy Young, first Black player in Japan, they better put him in in 20 with the Golden Age BS

Holy shit! 300 million! What the fucking fuck. And he's probably on the downslope. Now, that's a good reason to hate modern sports. That's fucking ridiculous.
    But it’s ok for the owners to make billions? Baseball players are underpaid for the value they deliver. They need to hammer ownership next CBA. Pro sports owners, doesn’t matter how incompetent they are, they are always making money. Al Davis’s kid, that fuck made hundreds of millions since he inherited the team, yet I doubt he could manage a McDonalds effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    But it’s ok for the owners to make billions? Baseball players are underpaid for the value they deliver. They need to hammer ownership next CBA. Pro sports owners, doesn’t matter how incompetent they are, they are always making money. Al Davis’s kid, that fuck made hundreds of millions since he inherited the team, yet I doubt he could manage a McDonalds effectively.
    You think all baseball markets are making "billions"? Baseball is not the NFL, and I doubt that even those guys are making "billions". Very doubtful KC, Seattle, Baltimore, and Miami are making billions, if much at all.

I was having a beer with one of the other coaches I coach with and somehow the topic came up about pitchers who've thrown 4 strikeouts in one inning. I couldn't remember who it was, so I did a search. Came across this on Chuck Finley in Wikipedia. I didn't know he was married to Tawny Kitean but when I read this I just had to share it...

Finley was married to actress Tawny Kitaen from 1997 to 2002. He filed for divorce three days after Kitaen was charged with committing domestic violence against him, having beaten him with a stiletto heel. They have two daughters, Wynter and Raine. Tawny Finley, in a declaration to the Orange County Superior Court, claimed Finley used steroids amongst other drugs. She also claimed he bragged about being able to circumvent MLB's testing policy.[3] When told of his wife's accusations, which also included heavy marijuana use and alcohol abuse, Finley replied: "I can't believe she left out the cross-dressing."[4]

As Finley took the mound for an April 2002 game against the Chicago White Sox at then-Comiskey Park, the stadium's musical director, Joe Stephen, took a subtle dig at Finley's messy divorce, and played "Here I Go Again" by the band Whitesnake, referencing Kitaen's appearance in that band's videos and her previous marriage to the band's lead singer, David Coverdale. Stephen was later fired and the White Sox apologized.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Is she now out there making money by beating men with stiletto heels?

You think all baseball markets are making "billions"? Baseball is not the NFL, and I doubt that even those guys are making "billions". Very doubtful KC, Seattle, Baltimore, and Miami are making billions, if much at all.
    Compare this: https://www.forbes.com/mlb-valuations/list/#tabverall with this: https://www.forbes.com/2008/04/16/ml...ues_slide.html

Let's consider the Rays, last on the first list with a value of $900M. 10 years ago? $290M. How about the Marlins? $1B now, $256M 10 years ago. Only 6 teams on the current list have a negative value for operating income. So even the worst teams are still doing pretty well overall.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Compare this: https://www.forbes.com/mlb-valuations/list/#tabverall with this: https://www.forbes.com/2008/04/16/ml...ues_slide.html

Let's consider the Rays, last on the first list with a value of $900M. 10 years ago? $290M. How about the Marlins? $1B now, $256M 10 years ago. Only 6 teams on the current list have a negative value for operating income. So even the worst teams are still doing pretty well overall.
    And Uber is losing billions while still having a market value that exceeds that of many multinational corporations. Tesla is on the brink of bankruptcy, but, again, has a nice valuation on the market. Let's see revenue statements, but that's pretty hard, since most are private companies.

The history of pro sports is filled with money losing or revenue neutral teams that are just ego enhancers or toys for wealthy owners.

Manny Machado Signed a $300 Million Deal; Bryce Harper’s Could Be for More. Will They Be Worth It? https://nyti.ms/2EmaLIp

The history of pro sports is filled with money losing or revenue neutral teams that are just ego enhancers or toys for wealthy owners.

which is why these guys know they can sell even a shit franchise in a few years for big profits.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi