Thoughts on the ROSCOE 8 for the Mrs

So every time we go out on family rides, the wife keeps stealing my bike. Family rides are mostly flat'ish double track and mellow single track not much more than an hour at most (kids are 6 &8). I don't think she's ever going to be into doing any extended climbing and descending, although I think we will definitely progress into some more hilly and a bit more technical single track.

I've seen a couple great reviews of the Roscoe 8 and seems to check a lot of boxes.

Nx Eagle Drive Train
    Legit Air Rockshox Fork
    Geometry that won't be scary as shit if we encounter some steeper sections of trail
    2.8" tubeless set up should help take a little extra edge off of roots and rocks with some moderate-lower psi
    Even a dropper

I've looked at a lot of other hard tails and even ones that are only a little cheaper than this also seem to have 3x10 drivetrains, cheaper spring forks, etc.

I wasn't even really considering full sus until I came across this very decently discounted Ghost SLAMR which at the sale price is only 450$ more. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5056-3...-7-LC-Bicycle#

Aside from the ho hum 2x drive train its quite a lot of bike for the price, especially with the carbon front triangle. I'm very tempted but my concern is that I'm just projecting more of what I would want to ride/want her to ride vs, what the better more fun bike would be for her.

Anyways let me know your thoughts, and If I'm missing other options. The price point is around 2k Kanuckistan Dollars.

good value, good returns/warranty

I have done a bit of work on ghosts and PAIN to find parts (hangers, axle, etc) and the suspension linkage was REALLY hard to get into and work on.

For budget full sus bikes, also look at giant stance, and Marin wolf ridge.

Also: Does the Mrs WANT that bike?

Does SHE like that bike?

also MUCH better value on a plus HT vs a full. lighter, better parts vs money, simplier.

Thanks a lot for the tips. I hear you on the Hard tail vs. the Full sus. And good questions. If I'm being honest I'm not sure there's much desire on her part to "progress" beyond casual trail riding, I guess I just want her to have something fun that would give her a little headway above her current ability, and I want her to stop stealing my bike. The idea is the bike would be surprise birthday present for this year.

My gal just got a Roscoe 8 last week. Seems like a pretty good bargain considering that it's tubeless and 12 speed straight from the shop. The fork is absolute garbage but it does suspensionish stuff so there's that, easy enough to upgrade if/when the time comes. She's ridden it about 4 times and is pleased with it so far. Make sure you get some decent pedals though, the pedals it came with were about equal to standing on an icy puddle covered in oil with a banana peel on top.

Quote Originally Posted by springsproject View Post
    standing on an icy puddle covered in oil with a banana peel on top.
    That's amazing. Thanks for the feedback on the bike. You mentioned the fork was not great, can you comment is the RockShox Judy Silver TK, similar in performance to the Sektor forks? I have ridden those and while i didn't find them overly inspiring I didn't find it horrible.

or maybe give her your bike and YOU get a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Best advice ever given on TGR
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    This is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    Best advice ever given on TGR
    I have 2018 Slayer...its a bit overkill for her. And I freaking love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    That's amazing. Thanks for the feedback on the bike. You mentioned the fork was not great, can you comment is the RockShox Judy Silver TK, similar in performance to the Sektor forks? I have ridden those and while i didn't find them overly inspiring I didn't find it horrible.
    Can't say, I've never used the Sektor. It wasn't something that held her back from buying it, I told her to ride it until she notices that it sucks and then upgrade from there.