Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
    Yeah, I meant nothing but respect, but see now I worded my post poorly. I believe he was an All-Ivy wrestler and a Judo World bronze medalist in the same year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    What the fuck? Tapatalk made a new user name for me.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    What the fuck? Tapatalk made a new user name for me.
    That's weird. Is it just random or is there a connection?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That's weird. Is it just random or is there a connection?
    Just looked at this thread to find I had posted as "bwalsh." I did nothing different.

Hehe. When I read your quote of Iceman’s post of respect, he was listed as “bwalsh”.

Ghost in the machine. And it’s mutating!

Pedro's son in now wrestling at Brown. One of the kids in the Norwich University BJJ club that I am an advise trains with him. The Gi is a great training tool. The timing of throwing with no Gi is infinitely more difficult. Coming from a heavy grecco back round, when I started BJJ I felt like I was cheating to be able to hold the uniform.

West Coast ADCC trials this past weekend. Nicky Ryan submits everyone to win. Super impressive 17 year old going to the most prestigious no-gi event in the world. Great final. The mandible choke for the win.
    The event is on Flograppling.

The Renzo school has turned out some amazing black belts and they have now begun turning out some amazing grapplers. Such a well of knowledge.

In other news Penn State's dismantling of Ohio State was amazing. What a Dynasty. Nolf and Nickals are amazing to watch.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 02-12-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Trained for 3 years. Stopped enjoying my fucking bunion, and getting home at 9PM every night.
    Training for Alpental

9 out of 10 quit at blue belt. 1 in 100 make black. Still, 3 years of bjj you gained some knowledge.

Trained for about five years, but I’ve been off it for some time now since I moved.

I only ever trained no-gi and we had wrestlers, judo guys, a few gi peeps and some crazy-ass Hawaiians who loved to fight. Lol. No starting from the knees bullshit in our gym. Learning takedowns and takedown defense as an adult with no previous experience with it was humbling and painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Learning takedowns and takedown defense as an adult with no previous experience with it was humbling and painful.
    Changing levels is a bit like surfing. After a certain age, it becomes very difficult to do.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Training today was fun. We started sparring with Wu Ying Tao once we got into infighting my partner used a Modern Arnis empty handed technique to take me down and then grappled until time was called. I wasn't able to get a submission though I did find myself in the position to try the twister.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    Changing levels is a bit like surfing. After a certain age, it becomes very difficult to do.
    Almost every injury I've seen in the gym happened during a take down. I think people spar too much from neutral and don't drill enough. Cranks like the twister are sketchy, even rear naked chokes over the chin like Khabib finished MacGregor with, I'll catch, then release the hold if my partner tries to defend. Neck ties also even though they are a choke.

Open mat action....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backtake.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	275089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	footlock.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	275090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstand.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	275091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coleroll.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	275092  

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Well, if it were me I would take the blow gun and shove it completely up your ass. Then, as I put my blade to your throat your fear-puckering rectum would suck the poison dart into your bowel and the curare would act fast, through the mucus membrane much like those old hobos giving themselves a wine enema at a rainbow gathering. In the end I would leave your corpse in a public bathroom and the authorities would assume you died of some auto-erotic fetish gone wrong. I walk away.
    beats me why yur badass would waste time on the ease of barrel shooting carp with a bow and arrows
    when you could just jump in and noddle to a jujitshit way more core death like above
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I rolled for an hour last night after training Modern Arnis. Our promotions are this weekend so I worked on my chokes and then got to train grappling with a training knife. Adding a knife into grappling really changes the focus. I'll give up an arm lock in trade for defending a knife across the throat. I then ended up training with a couple higher belts for one the their tests where they need to grapple two people at once. I found my weight distribution changes quite a bit when you add in another grappler.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I rolled for an hour last night after training Modern Arnis. Our promotions are this weekend so I worked on my chokes and then got to train grappling with a training knife. Adding a knife into grappling really changes the focus. I'll give up an arm lock in trade for defending a knife across the throat. I then ended up training with a couple higher belts for one the their tests where they need to grapple two people at once. I found my weight distribution changes quite a bit when you add in another grappler.
    Black belt for you this weekend?

Grange, I'm pretty stoked for you and your training. And I appreciate your humility regarding what you're learning.

The most important thing people training need to keep in mind is that if they abuse what they learn, there's always a bigger badass around the corner to show them the errors of their ways. Or a .45 caliber handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Grange, I'm pretty stoked for you and your training. And I appreciate your humility regarding what you're learning.

The most important thing people training need to keep in mind is that if they abuse what they learn, there's always a bigger badass around the corner to show them the errors of their ways. Or a .45 caliber handgun.
    I think it would be very rare to find an individual who has trained to a high level in any respectable martial arts school who uses this knowledge to beat people up or be a bully. It would take an exceptionally bad instructor to tolerate, let alone promote that type of ego and attitude.

I think training can lead to physical altercations when someone who has trained to a high level witnesses, or is confronted with intimidation or bullying...or criminal behavior like assault. Personally I would do anything possible to avoid a physical confrontation, including running away. At the same time I would be probably more likely than someone who is untrained to step in if a saw some injustice, crime, ect being perpetrated on someone who is unable to defend themselves.

At the same time, I think a lot of people who talk a lot of trash, say on the internet, or in person, would do themselves and the world at large a big favor to go to a martial arts school and train or spar a little. I have seen many folks come into the gym with egos. They are given a choice. Loose it, or leave. Most leave, but I think even they probably leave with less ego than they came in with. Sadly, folks who could learn the most from this experience are the least likely to make that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Black belt for you this weekend?
    Not yet. By the end of promotions this weekend I'll be a Brown 1st degree (one step from black belt) in Modern Arnis, Brown Belt (three steps from black belt) in Arnis Jitsu, and Red Belt 1st degree (three steps from black belt) in Wu Ying Tao.

Brown in Arnis Jitsu is not like brown in BJJ however since we don't focus as much on the ground game as much as BJJ so my grappling abilities wouldn't be on par with a brown belt in BJJ. I will however start to incorporate some striking in the ground game, which is going to be different. Up until now my grappling was mostly just locks, chokes and other cranks so introducing striking and more training knife scenarios will change the way I grapple. I'll be using my mma gloves which to this point have only been used with stick sparring for Modern Arnis.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post

When we train there is a constant theme no matter what level we are that just because we train doesn't mean we would win in a fight. One lucky punch, one mistep, or any other of a 100 different scenarios could happen and a person with more training can not only get beat up, but killed.

The kids that train have to get their parent's and their teacher's signature before they are able to promote. If word comes to our school that one of the students has been fighting they get a stern talking to and in some cases they "lose" their belt for a time until they take corrective actions. Being a bully is not acceptable.

The knee, sweep the knee.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Not yet. By the end of promotions this weekend I'll be a Brown 1st degree (one step from black belt) in Modern Arnis, Brown Belt (three steps from black belt) in Arnis Jitsu, and Red Belt 1st degree (three steps from black belt) in Wu Ying Tao.

Brown in Arnis Jitsu is not like brown in BJJ however since we don't focus as much on the ground game as much as BJJ so my grappling abilities wouldn't be on par with a brown belt in BJJ. I will however start to incorporate some striking in the ground game, which is going to be different. Up until now my grappling was mostly just locks, chokes and other cranks so introducing striking and more training knife scenarios will change the way I grapple. I'll be using my mma gloves which to this point have only been used with stick sparring for Modern Arnis.

When we train there is a constant theme no matter what level we are that just because we train doesn't mean we would win in a fight. One lucky punch, one mistep, or any other of a 100 different scenarios could happen and a person with more training can not only get beat up, but killed.

The kids that train have to get their parent's and their teacher's signature before they are able to promote. If word comes to our school that one of the students has been fighting they get a stern talking to and in some cases they "lose" their belt for a time until they take corrective actions. Being a bully is not acceptable.
    How long have you been training Arnise?

I've been training Modern Arnis steadily for more than 3 years. After this weekend I will need at least another 6 months before I'll be ready for my black belt test assuming I continue to train regularly. My biggest issue I'm running into is finding enough time to train my own stuff. I find that I am often teaching lower belts which keeps me from training my own stuff on my own. We often start lesser experienced students on patterns like redonda sinawali and I'm very comfortable with patterns. I'm currently working on espada y daga (using a rattan stick and training knife) and de cadena sparring, which gets me out of my comfort zone of patterns.

You'll get your black belt in 3-4 years? From what I've seen on you tube you learn stick fighting, blade techniques, striking, including some advance spinning techniques, Aikido, Judo and Jiu Jitsu. That seems like a lot of techniques to master in 3-4 years. How many times a week do you train?

When I started teaching I realized it was making me think about details on basics that I hadn't focused on. It made my foundation more solid.

In BJJ, one can expect a black belt somewhere around 10 years in....and not everyone will get it no matter how long they train. I came in with extensive wrestling experience, I'm 8 years in, and a brown belt with probably another year before black, training 3-5 times a week. Still fell like there's a ton I don't know yet.

Yep there is a lot to learn though. I am by far the most proficient in Modern Arnis of the three styles I currently train. For the other two styles it will be a while longer before I'm ready to test for a black belt. I attend classes 4 times a week and about an hour or more for each style each time. I like the fact that the styles I train as so relatable to each other. The arnis jitsu style works perfectly with modern arnis empty handed techniques. I also attend seminars and work on different stick techniques at home. I am comfortable with patterns so performing stick drills (one or two sticks) has always come fairly easy to me. So right now I am focusing most of my energy on techniques like de cadena and espada y daga where I can't rely on patterns. For knife drills and disarms I just seem to be able to flow with them however when pressure testing most techniques go out the window and some of the advance movements like spinning can be worthless.

My sensei is a former student of Professor Presas and he often talks about when Professor Presas conducted seminars he often adapted his techniques to his audience. For example if Professor Presas was teaching at a Karate school his movements were often 'harder' and more precise and he would teach some katas whereas at a kung fu school his techniques were often more flowing. When watching YouTube or other videos I sometimes get frustruated by some techniques like some espada y daga drills. When you have a 12-inch blade and a 26 to 28-inch stick or sword and there are no range changes and little movement you're either too close or too far from your opponent for one of the weapons. On the other hand the precision and speed of some videos like Professor Presas are amazing to me.

I get the same benefits when teaching Modern Arnis. At my school the instructors and assistant instructors get together separately for more advanced training. While teaching has some great benefits training with higher level people really helps me advance in my training. Not only is it humbling it really reminds me of how much more I can still grow.

I train with some BJJ folks and from what I'm told that it can take a lot longer to advance. It seems that while some styles have specific techniques one has to know before advancing with BJJ there is also the ability to recognize when to use those specific techniques or when to modify. This reminds me of Wu Ying Tao. We do a lot of sparring compared to technique drills and we are encouraged experiment with or modify different techniques to fit the sparring situation.