Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    It was a long day testing. After 5 hours heavy training I was promoted day. The grappling portion of my testing worked out really well. I was testing on chokes and was able to get 5 tapouts from 5 different chokes. I also promoted in Wu Ying Tao, which requires going through the gauntlet where I had to spar probably 20 opponents in a row without a break. As I was getting tired I started to incorporate some Modern Arnis and Jitsu takedowns. It was a lot of fun keeping two opponents away with the third one locked in an arm bar. I hope there are photos of my sparring sessions.

Congratulations!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Question to the group:

What are your gyms doing about the virus situation? Are you still going to class?

Up til now, we posted some 'rules' (more like best practices):
    - Freshly cleaned bodies
    - Only freshly cleaned kimonos / rash guards / hand wraps
    - wash hands before / after class
    - feeling sick / sick immediate family STAY HOME
    - Sanitizer after blowing nose, available at all corners of mat
    - Disinfect gloves, headgear, shin guards, shields, heavy bags etc before / after every class ..
    - Disinfect / clean mats every hour
    - Credit members for 'sick time' (ie if you're out a week because you're sick, credit your membership that week)

Nothing new, just kind of formalizing it, being more thorough and careful. I never stopped going - I figured it's already everywhere, so if I get it, I get it. Meh.

But then last night, Coach decided to close up for a week .. just til next monday we hope. We're in a hot spot for this thing - whatever it turns out to be.

Penny for all y'alls thoughts.

My CrossFit is still open though a few others have shut it for a couple weeks.

Generally just wiping stuff down after every workout, there’s a regular cleaning schedule, obviously if people are remotely feeling anything don’t go. Nothing too crazy.
    Decisions Decisions

The F45 AC coaches at is still open and basically doing what MoN posted, but I'm pretty sure it's all going to be moot as people are just not going to show up. Attendance was already way down this week and it's only going to go down in the short term.

Like DTM said, my F45 location is not planning on closing if at all possible. For a small business owner like ours, it would be horrible in all aspects. Some members have put their memberships on hold for a month, some aren't coming in but then some are just being extra sanitary. I just make sure the ones that are coming are happy and feel safe and that we have lots of extra cleaning going on. That's all I can do at this point. And we've put up signs and social media saying over and over don't come if you feel a hint of sickness, no matter what it could be-the flu a&b was nasty here the past several months and people still came in. I think most are being very respectful of that now, but we're a very small gym. No more than 25-30 in at time and this week we aren't seeing more than 16 in at a time. I basically get the jist that unless it's on fire of our owners actually get sick themselves, they will not close even for a short stint.
    you sketchy character, you

Pause until May.
    BJJ, JJ & all.
    Next week, 1-on-1 allowed but things might change.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Pause until May.
    BJJ, JJ & all.
    Next week, 1-on-1 allowed but things might change.
    dang, scary. rent and util's and everything still due in the meantime ..

Privates and semi-privates are on hold.

Happy to have a home gym.

We had promotions this past weekend. We asked anyone not feeling 100% to hold off on coming as we were going to be testing for 6+ hours. Our head sensei stayed away as he wasn't feeling well (just a cold) so the other two sensei's took over his duties. He did watch through Skype most of the time. I was promoting in two of styles so I wan't up front with the other two rather I was with the rest of the students. By the time I tied my new black belt in one style and my first degree brown belt in the other I'm sure my immune system was compromised as I was exhausted.

We have have initiated Skype classes for students that do not want to come to class. We are also stressing washing hands before and after classes and always require clean uniforms.

Any gym still open is just fucking everyone else over. Of course you will contract and spread virus while grappling. Our gym is closed for at least two weeks. Stop fucking going to the gym assholes.

Seriously

Well our martial arts studio just closed down and an executive order banned gatherings of 10 or more people so that shuts down my gym.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDave View Post
    Sombo was simply a russian who learned jiujitsu/judo in japan and went back to russia and taught it to a bunch of Russian wrestlers.
    who is Sombo? Sambo is an acronym https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo_(martial_art)

Best friend in college got me into BJJ (circ 1998). Rickson Gracie's school was sending blue belts to teach noobs at ucla. I went with it for a year and a half till Rickson's 14 yr old son strained my elbow in a routine sparing. The macho bullshit was too much for me too - i saw as a way to get fit and did get nice set of abs out of it which are gone now obviously. The friend stuck with it and now a black belt.

A month ago met someone who runs a mcdojo next door. May be I should go back for fitness purposes but I may be to old to deal with bullshit.

cool sport tho.

All depends on the gym. Gracie gyms, especially back in the day, were pretty agro. Many gyms still are today. Lots, though, are more casual and fitness focused than training grounds for people who want to compete or fight MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    All depends on the gym. Gracie gyms, especially back in the day, were pretty agro. Many gyms still are today. Lots, though, are more casual and fitness focused than training grounds for people who want to compete or fight MMA.
    +1 so true.

Still some gyms that just murder lower belts as a right of passage, get a lot of people hurt and run off prospective members with intimidation - Kobra Kai sweep the leg no mercy.

Not at all the way we are. I see less and less of that.
    There's a big sweet spot to be had: competition, comraderie, sport, fitness, etc .. A few or us train to compete, many more for recreation/fitness - we all share the mat.

try a couple different gyms, it's about finding the right fit.

My gym closed last week until further notice and its going to be a long time.

Its a 4 man show and they weren't making a ton before. This has to be killing them.

Then again, I would love to trade their losses this year for mine.

yea. I bet a fair number of gyms don't come back.
    A few of us offered to pay renewals in advance, buy some privates in advance, if it means keeping the gym afloat through this.

We are starting with one on one Skype classes with one of the instructors since our dojo is closed. I don't think the jitsu stuff will work, but there are drills and techniques for modern arnis and Wu Ying Tao that we can work with, though it won't be as good face to face training.

Guys? has anyone tried buying gear from this site nogibjjgear? I m looking for a place to get rashguard and it seems like an awesome place but i kinda wanna know if any has tried buying from them and had a good experience? or can you suggest me place that you have actually tried and have had a good experience?

Quote Originally Posted by madf90 View Post
    Guys? has anyone tried buying gear from this site nogibjjgear? I m looking for a place to get rashguard and it seems like an awesome place but i kinda wanna know if any has tried buying from them and had a good experience? or can you suggest me place that you have actually tried and have had a good experience?
    https://originmaine.com/bjj-mma-fit/...roduct-reviews

Name:  hand.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  36.1 KB

For $60 you can get one with a disgusting hand on it.

Getting desperate.

Maggots, meet my new sparring partner, Bob (robert, if you must)
    Doesn't say much, slow to tap. Weak guard game. Has 2 stripes though.

Mount attacks, side control attacks, some chokes. Back take, kinda.
    So lame. But Ms Middle isn't into being the gimp.
    Not at all.

Name:  IMG_8703.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  52.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_8705.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  38.2 KB

I'm focused more on strength training since it's kind of hard to train jitsu without a partner or even a "Bob". For my modern Arnis though I work on some stick and knife drills. I am also training foot work for my Wu Ying Tao, which is not nearly as good as sparring with a partner, but it's better than not training at all.

I know it's not Jiu Jitsu but has anyone been putting in rounds on the heavy bag or speed bag etc....? "Almost" every time I took my wife's back or got her in full mount this week she was not stoked so I have been doing 5 three minute rounds on the heavy bag several times a week. Great workout and being a Karate based guy its fun to throw kicks and work on boxing & muay thai technique.
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Yea, been doing some bag work also. Have a bunch of Muay Thai drills written down. Bag work kinda boring. But this from a guy who made a Robert - eye roll.

Setting up a couple stations works for me. mma goves. 3 min heavy bag combos, then Robert work (N/S-Knee/Belly-mount-attack), then leg blasters, back to bag, on and on. I want to add a battle rope.

Defense will be crap after all this non sparring.
    I guess we'll all be in the same boat though.

Like Grange, strength training too, and with more time at home I am making some gains. Like everyone I want to get stronger but don't want to go up a class - and I'm having more beer lately .. so ...