Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Damn DaveTV you are a brown belt? You must have a great ground game. I'll be going for my brown belt in Arnis Jitsu this year though our brown belt is really quite different than a BJJ brown belt. I'd guess my grappling techniques are maybe on par with a competent BJJ blue belt or if I'm really lucky a newer purple belt.
    I do OK. I was a pretty tough wrestler back in Jersey and wrestled at some high level programs. I was a red shirt at Clemson when they were a top ten program, behind an all american when they canceled the program due to title 9 compliance issues. At that point I had been grinding for 10 years year round and quit to do other fun stuff for almost 15ish. A friend showed me some BJJ and I got hooked again. I feel like my ground game might be caught up with my take down game. I think I'm going to masters worlds this summer before my next promotion. I haven't competed much in BJJ but feel like I need to measure up in real event before someone tries to put a black belt on me.

Things must be slow in ECRC.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

but for some reason a basic cross lapel choke has gotten me frustrated. I can get eventually but in live rolling I tend to miss my mark more than others.
    I assume you mean from the front. Okuri juji jime is pretty strong, but Giaku, Kata, and Nami really depend on a deep entry in my experience. Great combination attack with an arm bar. The collar chokes are easily defended, but open up an arm bar attack. When they lock their hands to defend the arm bar you can bounce back to the choke. This can all happen without ever releasing the deep collar grip. No one jiu jitsu attack works. They have to come in combination to be effective.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71EZLc-vyXw

I currently live in Brazil and started training a few months ago - wish I had started earlier. It’s been a humbling yet rewarding experience so far. Most of my time is drilling movements and functional training so far - need to learn how to walk before I can run. I enjoy that it’s challenging both physically and mentally - the black belts say the learning never stops, BJJ is constantly evolving. Recommend anyone to drop into a local school for an introductory class - I think most people would be pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    I assume you mean from the front. Okuri juji jime is pretty strong, but Giaku, Kata, and Nami really depend on a deep entry in my experience. Great combination attack with an arm bar. The collar chokes are easily defended, but open up an arm bar attack. When they lock their hands to defend the arm bar you can bounce back to the choke. This can all happen without ever releasing the deep collar grip. No one jiu jitsu attack works. They have to come in combination to be effective.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71EZLc-vyXw
    Damn freezing rain made the roads treacherous so no training tonight.

That's a nice transition I'll have to give it a go at open mat this weekend. As I grow with grappling I am definitely working on looking ahead and trying to set up moves. The one transition I am currently working on is going from an arm bar attack like the video above into a triangle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lOvtUZpBNyU
    I like going to triangles from the back over mounted triangles from arm bar as in numbers 2 through 5 in that video. I also like 7 when I m stuck on someone's quarter guard.

Which one is best for mountain lions?

The one called Kill the Lion. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe4d_Pa8WkY

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Shoot, walk away.
    Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post

Rex Kwon Do
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^Running joke at our club. "Take My Doe" is what the Mc DoJos are known as.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I'm going to an annual seminar this month where we train different martial arts, self defense and knife drills with some pressure testing. A couple years ago we set up the situation with knife vs gun at close range. When the gun wielder had the gun point at the knife wielder it wasn't close, but if they were both holstered it was a lot more interesting and knife wielder got to have some fun. One of the instructors was a retire cop that talked about drawing a gun and he was also proficient with a knife. Add in tips from some of the Escrima and Modern Arnis instructors about the knife and the drill was a great.

I'm going to an annual seminar this month where we train different martial arts, self defense and knife drills with some pressure testing. A couple years ago we set up the situation with knife vs gun at close range. When the gun wielder had the gun point at the knife wielder it wasn't close, but if they were both holstered it was a lot more interesting and knife wielder got to have some fun. One of the instructors was a retire cop that talked about drawing a gun and he was also proficient with a knife. Add in tips from some of the Escrima and Modern Arnis instructors about the knife and the drill was a great.
    Dealing with hand guns at close range is interesting. Inside 20 feet you'd better be real good getting your gun out, specifically in a concealed carry situation. That distance can be closed quickly enough that a concealed gun is basically useless and against a trained martial artist will likely just get used to kill you in the end.

Dave, any thoughts on how a handgun, or knife wielding martial arts artist would fare against a blowgun w/ a curare tipped dart at various distances? My understanding is that curare takes ~1 minute to act on the central nervous system. If I'm correct this may allow the some time for the handgun owner or martial artist to inflict some bodily harm on the blow gunner if attacked within a certain distance.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Dave, any thoughts on how a handgun, or knife wielding martial arts artist would fare against a blowgun w/ a curare tipped dart at various distances? My understanding is that curare takes ~1 minute to act on the central nervous system. If I'm correct this may allow the some time for the handgun owner or martial artist to inflict some bodily harm on the blow gunner if attacked within a certain distance.
    Well, if it were me I would take the blow gun and shove it completely up your ass. Then, as I put my blade to your throat your fear-puckering rectum would suck the poison dart into your bowel and the curare would act fast, through the mucus membrane much like those old hobos giving themselves a wine enema at a rainbow gathering. In the end I would leave your corpse in a public bathroom and the authorities would assume you died of some auto-erotic fetish gone wrong. I walk away.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 02-08-2019 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is one of the main reasons the Brazilian armed forces are feared and respected around the world.
    Huh?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Do I really need to explain that?

Pretty clearly humor to me.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Do I really need to explain that?
    No, man, but I do not see how wearing pajamas really helps on the battlefield with jets, tanks, and really serious stuff.

Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

How come all the dick wavers are conservative?

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nStick View Post
    How come all the dick wavers are conservative?
    Compensating?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Well, if it were me I would take the blow gun and shove it completely up your ass. Then, as I put my blade to your throat your fear-puckering rectum would suck the poison dart into your bowel and the curare would act fast, through the mucus membrane much like those old hobos giving themselves a wine enema at a rainbow gathering. In the end I would leave your corpse in a public bathroom and the authorities would assume you died of some auto-erotic fetish gone wrong. I walk away.
    So, ahh, pretty basic break-the-wrist-and-walk-away, huh?

Shunstrom was a Quincy Center gym rat who trained under Joseph Benson in all of the "manly arts". He became an expert in the Fairbain methods and in the end preferred to kill his foe while they were sleeping. Truth. My pop went once to supply backup. Only once.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    So, ahh, pretty basic break-the-wrist-and-walk-away, huh?
    Yep, the famous shove-it-up-the-ass-in-the-mens-loo-and-walk-away style. DaveTV is rolling like George Michael.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.