Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TR - Tucson road trip

Every year I try to hit one or two of the Arizona endurance series races. The Tortolita 50 is one that I hadn't been able to do yet, so when a friend mentioned he wanted to ride it too, we made plans. A friend of Russ's decided to join us as well. We made our escape from rainy San Diego on Thursday night and due to chance of further rain in AZ, set up camp at Motel6 in north Tucson. Fortunately the chance of rain tapered off there while San Diego got hammered much of the weekend, so the timing of the trip was great. The main ride was Saturday so we wanted an easier ride for Friday.

Decided to hit up the 24 Hours Old Pueblo course for an easy day. Headed around the eastern loop first which took us around to the end of the 24H course which ends with this rock slab

Then continued around the west loop, clockwise

Gotta love the variety of cactus out here

Until the cholla balls are getting flung up by your tires

Joshua tree - cholla hybrid??

Russ getting his game face on for Saturday

For something different I took them on Painter Boy loop next. Most of the 24HOP course is buffed out desert singletrack. Painter Boy is raw, techy, and seldom ridden

Cool cloud cover

Ken enjoying fields of grass

Trail gets hard to follow in places

Cool off trail rock feature we had to check out

Entrance gate with a cool view of Mt Lemmon. Snow up top means no big shuttle rides...

24HOP course is always a fun time, easy casual miles. 25mi for us, just enough to wake up the legs. Then off for pizza and beers.

Tortolita 50

Saturday morning came bright and early. Quick breakfast and we were off to the start line. Actually got there early enough to get ready in orderly fashion and hang out for a few minutes. Schillingsworth was there as well along with a number of others I recognized from other events. Even Lael Wilcox showed up.

Chad gives a speech to the crowd

We had a 3-mile pavement ride over to Golder Ranch where we got right onto the 50-Year Trail

I was already at the back of the pack and then found myself last when I had to stop and pick some cactus thorns out of my shoe

Caught up to and then got passed by a few other riders

We climbed the Cherry Tank trail which was marginally ridable, climbing in and out of a creek drainage and climbing over boulders numerous times. Things were green from recent rains and plenty of water flowed everywhere.

A bit of nice singletrack as we approached Charouleau Gap Road

Cherry Tank

Tacky dirt made Charouleau Gap Road a fun descent, when it didn't turn uphill

I caught up to Schillingsworth and another rider toward the end of the road

Both of them bailed on the race on the Honeybee trails rather than climb into the Tortolita Mtns. I hadn't been feeling great either but the legs finally woke up a bit at this point, so I kept going

I had heard of a new trail in the Torts called Ridgeline that is reportedly awesome, and we got to ride it

Great scenery and a perfect climbing grade, with flowers emerging as well

Its one of those trails that climbs and then stays up high on a ridgeline with awesome views off both sides

It is hard to access from any direction, otherwise it would see a lot more traffic

Thought I was last but Greg missed a turn and caught me while I stopped for lunch

View down into Marana from the ridgeline

View south-ish toward Tucson

Cactus forest

I rode with Greg for a while and caught up to another rider on a cross bike, who'd already used his tube and now had another flat. Greg gave him a 29er tube. And we were all off.

The descent down Wild Mustang and Upper Javelina trails is burly, and I pulled away from the others. Did not see either of them again.

After that it was a 14-mile pavement ride back to Catalina State Park, then 5 miles of trail and the same 3 miles of pavement back to the start. The grind to Catalina SP took just over an hour, and with a stop for pepsi and water I had an hour til sunset.

Golden light on the Santa Catalina Mtns in the state park.

I was starting to get twinges of cramps if I pushed too hard so I hike a biked up any steeper pitches and gingerly got back on the bike. Fortunately once out of the park the 50 Yr trail mostly contoured along and I was able to make good time.

Finished just after 6pm sunset but didn't need the lights I carried all day, so I was stoked on that. And got my DFL as the others behind me took a shortcut to the start and DNF'd.

Great day on the bike, with a detour and couple wrong turns I had 59.5 mi and +/- 5,800ft in just over 10hrs. FWIW the fastest rider finished over 4 hrs before me. Usually its a 2:1 ratio

While sitting around having beers Saturday after the ride a couple others mentioned rain for Sunday. The last forecast we'd looked at was clear, but sure enough it had changed and everything around Phx and Tucson was showing morning rain. No bueno when we wanted to be home around dinnertime. Looking further away Yuma had a clear forecast, so we made that the plan for a Sunday ride.

We got to Yuma and were ready to ride around 1pm AZ time, and headed out on Front Yard trail taking a similar route as my last trip

This time however I wanted to find a turnoff we missed before that would lead to some other trails on the south side of the system. This rock sign meant we made the right turn this time

We rode below and on top of some ridge lines generally heading east and north for a while

Then we dropped into a central valley which we rode to the end of and had to HAB up a steep jeep road to get out of. I'll remember that for next time for sure.

Cactus shot from Champagne trail

More Champagne, heading toward Picnic Table

I wanted to check out Black Canyon trail. Had seen it from below last time and it looked very cool. The only disappointment was how short it was, just 150m or so for this descent

Definitely a cool looking trail though. We had picked up a local rider who checked it out with us and rode with us back to the car

Perfect little ride to spin out tired legs for a few hours. 13mi I think and maybe 1,200ft climbing, and home in time for dinner.

Fun trip, thanks for joining Russ and Ken!

Last edited by Groomer Gambler; 12-13-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Thanks for posting! Always enjoy your TRs. It was nice to see an AES race report, hoping to ride the SBFL in March.
    It sucks to suck.

Nice work, I really would like to get down there, but the best riding season seems to be when the best skiing is.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

that is a lot of cactus.

Great TR - awesome riding down there around Tucson. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Nice work, I really would like to get down there, but the best riding season seems to be when the best skiing is.
    Thanks! Yeah prime riding is in winter. But starting in Oct-Nov you can also do full laps down Mt Lemmon, though it might get a bit warm at the bottom. No dice on lemmon this trip, we could see the snow from a long ways off.

Bumping this hopefully for some suggestions. Heading down for a week. . looking for rides around 20 miles 2000vt. Do not mind some rocky rides but not everyday. Think Milagrosa might be a little to chunky for me. thanks
    did see a few other threads with trails mentioned.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Bumping this hopefully for some suggestions. Heading down for a week. . looking for rides around 20 miles 2000vt. Do not mind some rocky rides but not everyday. Think Milagrosa might be a little to chunky for me. thanks
    did see a few other threads with trails mentioned.

Not too many places to get that much vert besides Lemmon. There's been hardly any precip this fall so it all should be snow free. However the Bighorn fire burned all the classic backside rides. Bugs Spring to Molino Basin is the best chunk of Lemmon imo. Park at the bottom, ride the road up and trail down.

Tucson Mountain Park is where I do most of my riding. I typically start at either the Richard Gesner or 36th street trailheads. If you start at Gesner, I take Star Pass > Sarasota > Yetman > Rock Wren for a nice loop.

If you want a stretch of AZT, start at Pistol Hill and ride south for as long as you please then head back. You can link it into McKenzie Ranch if you're feeling like more.

Finally, just go to Sweetwater and take whatever turns you please. When you get tired of dodging geriatrics and poodles look at a trail sign and you're never more than two miles from the car.

Just spent two weeks in Tucson, stayed right next to sweet water. Was working so it was great for morning and evening rides.
    Also bounced over to belotta trail and a bunch in the Oro valley, hohokam trail, etc. lots to keep you busy.

thanks everyone for the info. I am just looking to ride 3 to 4 hrs a day and enjoy checking out a new place. Knowing where I want to go each day will take the stress out of driving there. Wendigo I guess you know what you are missing but just in case https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...jor-landslide/
    off your knees Louie

On top of other suggestions mentioned, I like 50 Yr trail system and 24 Hour course. Technically you need an AZ State Trust land pass for each of those which is like $15 online, good for a year.

The Tortolita Mountains are also good, although some trails like Wild Mustang and Upper Javelina are pretty burly, getting close to Milagrosa level chunk. But if you combine with the Honeybee trails and stick to the east side of the Torts the trails are nice.

I'd also second riding Bugs to Prison Camp. It's pretty easy to hitch hike up Mt Lemmon. Personally I wouldn't ride the road unless I had to. I've done it on AZT300/750...it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Personally I wouldn't ride the road unless I had to. I've done it on AZT300/750...it sucks.
    I have heard Lemmon is the "crown jewel of Tucson riding" and "one of the best climbs in North America."

https://thecyclinghouse.com/tips-climbing-mount-lemmon/

I'm sure it is a great road ride, if you're into that sort of thing.

What was amusing on the AZ trail race was climbing that pavement with all the roadies out on their rides as well. They were on their super efficient road bikes and had full support crews driving up and down the mountain with extra bikes, food/water, massage tables etc basically holding their hands all the way. Then you have a bunch of dirt bag bikepackers climbing the highway unsupported on heavy rigs, many of whom rode through the night before starting the climb up Lemmon.

thanks for the advice. Tucson was a great visit. I was worried about traffic and crowds. Found neither. 50 year was a little confusing first time there. Would of liked to of rode it cleaner. Really enjoyed Tucson MT park. Trails were well built and I was able to enjoy the scenery riding through the saguaro. Bummer a fire burned Wild Burro up to Ridgeline. Fortunately it stopped around the benches on Ridgeline. Did not burn on north side of wash. Amazing how well built that loop is, even signed. Did not see another person after leaving Honeybee. Had a rain day so went to the Arizona - Sonora Desert Museum. Amazing place not to be missed when in Tucson. Glad I made the trip and found Tucson to be a great alternative to Hurricane, St George for winter riding.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201211_112911.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	352770
    off your knees Louie

Did you hit upper 50 year and rattlesnake? I quite enjoyed those trails

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    Did you hit upper 50 year and rattlesnake? I quite enjoyed those trails
    I rode the golder ranch advanced loop. Added chutes because I missed turn to 50 year the first time. Not sure if rattlesnake is in there.
    off your knees Louie

Glad you had a good time. Pretty much anywhere in Southern AZ is great for winter riding. I'm probably going to head back next week for Xmas break since I can't go home to Canada this year. There is some good winter riding in Socal as well if you want more different stuff. Not ideal this year with forest campground closures but there is still some BLM camping available.

tucson arizona

my brother lives in tucson az and tell me all the time that there is a really cool mountain trail right by his house. I havent had a chance to visit him maybe i really have to for early 2021 before it gets really hot.

Bumping the Tucson thread.... I've got a flight into PHX next week (Thu-Sun) and the original plan was to ride Prescott with a couple of clients for three days. The snow this week threw a wrench in that plan. So the next option is to ride Tucson for a few days.

I was thinking of doing Bug Springs to Prison Camp, an out and back on a portion of the AZT, and maybe the 24 hours course. I'm not opposed to 20-30 miles with some decent climbing. Anything else I should check out? Also, is the AZT better to the south of Tucson (Pistol Hill) or the north (Seg 7)?

If anyone's down in Tucson and wants to ride for a day or two, I'll happily buy beers and/or dinner to show me around.

I can't say which of these would be rideable next week. I've been planning a trip back to Phx/Tus so have been following the weather and they've been getting some of the same storms we have gotten in Socal, but with snow on top of rain and cold. Have been seeing lots of pics of snow covered Tucson lately.... Their forecast looks better now than it did earlier in the week so hopefully lower elevation stuff will melt out and dry up but I'd guess anything up Mt Lemmon might have too much snow. Prison-Milagrosa should be good I would think. As for the lower elevation trails I know some of them do have random spots of death mud, including AZT south of Tucson, so if they haven't dried out they may not be rideable. Temps look a bit warmer coming up so maybe it will be fine. I'd call some local shops/guides like Homegrown for best advice, I don't know the trail conditions well enough to be sure. If things are looking up maybe I'll make it back out next week.

In terms of ride quality for AZT, this is my recollection from south to north:

Las colinas (sect. 6) - https://www.trailforks.com/trails/az...colinas-15475/ - good desert riding but a tough section with lots of short steep climbs and descents into/out of canyons
    Las cienegas (sect. 7) - https://www.trailforks.com/trails/az...ienegas-15474/ - trends more downhill and more flowy, crosses under I-10 to Gabe Zimmerman TH
    Pistol Hill to Hope Camp (sect. 8) - https://www.trailforks.com/trails/az...-to-3-bridges/ and https://www.trailforks.com/trails/az...ol-hill-15482/ and possibly with https://www.trailforks.com/trails/hope-camp/ - harder than sect 7 but easier than sect 6 with some tough climbing in there around Cave Creek state park, then some fast flowy desert riding inside Saguaro NP. You can continue around through the park on Hope Camp Tr which exits the park at a paved road.

If you did Sect 6 and 7 to Gabe Zimmerman trailhead that would be a pretty solid ride.

A couple others not mentioned, assuming conditions allow:

If you can get a lift up Reddington road, ride AZT Bellota over to Milagrosa and down.
    Ride Honeybee trails up to the Tortolitas, loop Ridgeline and Wild Burro, then back out Honeybee trails. Some chunky trail and some fast flowy desert riding.
    Golder Ranch - ride 50 Yr trail and Upper 50 Yr, then out Middle Gate. See Nate Hills latest vid. Do some laps on the Chutes trail and play on the granite slabs on Upper 50 Yr

Sounds like Home Grown is planning to run a shuttle up to Bug Springs next weekend, so that's one day of riding. Now I just need to fill Friday and Sunday morning. I'm hoping the rain/snow holds off down there with the storms coming, too.

i am probably an intermediate rider and thought honey bee ridgeline was a great ride. I do not know how difficult you want the trails. The ridgeline loop is really well built and offers great riding without the chunk. Honeybee is easy riding but it would be hard not to enjoy the descent down Rail X ranch.
    off your knees Louie