Trail Runner Kills Mountain Lion With Bare Hands

Not many details available yet, but this guy is a certified badass in my book.

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/mou...during-attack/

Actual picture taken just before incident...

(Insert picture of cowardly lion here... Apparently I can't post pictures yet as a "noobie")

He prolly had a lot of practice chokin' his chicken.

For what it's worth:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mo...ASX?li=BBnb7Kz

Mountain lion killed by Colorado trail runner was a kitten, necropsy report says

FORT COLLINS, Colo. – The final necropsy report of the mountain lion killed by Colorado trail runner Travis Kauffman estimates the age of the lion at three to four months.

The necropsy performed by Colorado Parks and Wildlife veterinarians in Fort Collins identified the lion as a "kitten'' with a weight of 24 pounds. However, the animal was heavily scavenged and officials estimated the animal's live weight was 35 to 40 pounds. The report listed the animal in "fair condition'' with no diseases noted.

According to the necropsy, "blood-staining of the scavenged tissues suggests the scavenging took place perimortem (meaning taking place at or around the time of death).''

The necropsy went on to say the "pattern of scavenging is reminiscent of feline predation.'' One identifiable set of teeth marks in the dead animal matched the size of the dead animal's teeth, likely indicating the dead lion was partially eaten by its siblings, which is a lion behavior.

Officials later trapped two lions in Horsetooth Mountain Open Space, where the attack occurred, that they believe to be the dead lion's siblings. Officials moved the animals to a wildlife rehabilitation facility with the intent to release them back into the wild.

More: Trail runner was attacked by a mountain lion. He suffocated it to death in self-defense, wildlife officials say

Kauffman said at a press conference held in Fort Collins on Feb. 14, 10 days after the attack, that he feared he would be attacked by other mountain lions in the area. He said he especially feared the mother of the lion he killed would confront him.

Officials described the animal as a juvenile throughout the investigation. Though kitten is commonly associated with very young members of the feline family, in the report the word could simply mean an immature lion.

The necropsy, which was performed the same day of the attack, stated there was abundant dried blood within the fur between the paw pads as well as surrounding the nose and mouth of the animal.

Wildlife officials did not immediately respond to a question regarding if any blood from Kauffman was found on the animal.

Determining the animal's sex was difficult because the sex organs were missing, presumed scavenged. However, the intact pelvic region did not indicate a uterus, and officials believe the animal was a male.

The animal had abrasions and bruising on the top of its head, with additional abrasions on the bridge of its nose and above the right eye. The larynx and trachea had extensive tiny hemorrhage pinpoints, indicating manual strangulation.

More: Meet the Colorado trail runner who killed a mountain lion in self-defense

The 31-year-old Kauffman, who stands 5-feet-10 and weighs 150 pounds, told authorities that during the struggle he was able to hit the lion on the head with a rock then use his foot to step on its throat, ultimately killing it.
    The Sheriff is near!

24 lbs? I've fought dobermans five times that size. That's a fucking manx cat. Shit, my dog weighs 170.

Well well well. The guy killed a kitten.

The story makes more sense now. Killing a grown cougar with bare hands is dam near impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    24 lbs? I've fought dobermans five times that size. That's a fucking manx cat. Shit, my dog weighs 170.
    Said 35-40 lbs.

Runner claimed that he heard it because he wasn’t running with earbuds.

Why don’t you post Picts of your dog in the doggie stoke thread?

I have posted pics of my dog. Why, you didn't see them? Forest ranger or someone who weighed it said 24 lbs.

24# after being scavenged. 35-40# when alive.

https://thetrek.co/no-travis-kauffma...fKwVIxDhSZNH_o

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I have posted pics of my dog. Why, you didn't see them? Forest ranger or someone who weighed it said 24 lbs.
    I guess i need to search the doggie stoke thread better....

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    24# after being scavenged. 35-40# when alive.
    24lbs of mountain lion leftovers. Still badass.

Scavenged by what? Is there a timeline that shows that the lion was left for any significan period of time or was missing body parts?

Scavenged, supposedly, by its siblings. At least that’s what the article states.

My bad, had not read the latest link

The interviews with this guy are great. I like how modest he is about the whole thing.

so chill

I had this incident come up to me today in a social setting, and while I completely am on the side of not being the hero type, I stated how much a stupid house cat mutherfucker could make your day unfun. We both agreed, and just physically gestured to each other.

And agreed that things could have gone way worse. Silence ensued, and we just left it at that.

No hero, no profit, no 'gram hits, just a good old close call with a happy ending.