Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Tinder va. Bumble vs. Himge

whose on them, which ones, what’s been working, what’s not, are we too old and I should be asking on new schoolers

Bumble works pretty well for the empty nester crowd; higher quality people than Tinder.

Buddy has used Hinge in NYC and said there are lots of dead profiles (make sure the profile meets current standard with number of pics) and he has had several “way too young and hot” women (at least from profile pic) try to catfish him. YMMV...

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Bumble works pretty well for the empty nester crowd; higher quality people than Tinder.
    Paging Beetlejuice to the white courtesy phone. Here's your ticket, little buddy.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ive been spansered for a couple daecades now and lead an app free life
    but if i needed the furkid and i would be at the dog park or lookin to score at the grocery store
    if you go the og bar route
    one side of the bar can pays the bills
    or at least give ya fun tickets and allow you to work your tom cruise cocktail and panty droppin skills
    #irlskillsmatter
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    ive been spansered for a couple daecades now and lead an app free life
    but if i needed the furkid and i would be at the dog park or lookin to score at the grocery store
    if you go the og bar route
    one side of the bar can pays the bills
    or at least give ya fun tickets and allow you to work your tom cruise cocktail and panty droppin skills
    #irlskillsmatter
    Bumble is pretty fn easy. Made a profile; swiped for an hour or so; got 12 connections in 2 days resulting in 3 in person meets with attractive, age and socioeconomically appropriate, women and 2 offers to meet that I turned down. Good ROI on my time.

That said, met my GF the tried and true way - through friends...

tinder was the biggest pain in the ass when I was in MT. It was useful for about two days after first making the account and only for sex. But generally the kind of sex you wouldn't want someone associated with your friend group to hear about. I've had considerably better luck meeting someone who I would want to casually date in a larger population pool.

I did meet one of my best friends on tinder. Probably the best thing to come out of it.

Just starting the experience in the past 1-2 months in New England. Tinder is garbage IMO in my 30's, not really getting anywhere there. Bumble seems to be a step up in quality and have met some nice women there. Hinge I like the best since it forces people to make some sort of comment as a prompt, so a little bit more effort/higher bar matches IMO.

I find it hilarious as I've been traveling for work how each place seems to have a common profile that most people in that area adhere to.

Boston: I love brunch and Boston sports. Here is a photo of me at Fenway. Another of me wearing something preppy. Most basic crowd IMO.
    NYC: I love brunch and traveling, and will let you know how many countries I've been to and how many languages I speak. One pic will be from Santorini, guaranteed. I will be 2-3 notches of hotness above the average person you will see in any other city, and way more put together.
    Bay Area: I love being outside and yoga, and have a photo of climbing something with skis on my back. More casual attire.
    Portland, Maine: I love outdoor adventures, by which I mean doing a 40-minute hike with my dog. I will wear a backpack regardless. 2-3 profile pics will capture this vein of activity. When you ask "mountains or beach?" I say "beach!" even though I almost live in Canada. Also I love Boston sports -- here is me in a Pats jersey. Otherwise I might just have blue hair and weird piercings.
    New Orleans: my bodyweight is matched by the weight of makeup on my face. But still I'm pretty good looking. Far more likely to mention "Christian" under religion than those heathen yankees.
    Burlington: I live in Montreal and have that hot European look that makes you Americans look like cows. You might think there wouldn't be art & culture this far north, but this is southern Canada... basically the equivalent of Miami. As such, 1 profile pic is me in an avant garde gallery. I am fluently bilingual... really you can only speak one language??
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Swipe left.

Online dating is great if you live in a big metro area. Small towns it can blow.

Online dating also proves chick's pretty much suck. Specially ones in Colorado talk about bitches.

I'm pretty sure most of them can see me for what I am. Which isn't good.

The last chick I was seeing for a couple weeks asked me if I smoked pot. I said yes. She says like every day. I didn't really know what to say. I was like is six out of seven days a week every day?

Then she got to serious to quick and was talking about taking a cruise and going to Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Online dating is great if you live in a big metro area. Small towns it can blow.

Online dating also proves chick's pretty much suck. Specially ones in Colorado talk about bitches.

I'm pretty sure most of them can see me for what I am. Which isn't good.

The last chick I was seeing for a couple weeks asked me if I smoked pot. I said yes. She says like every day. I didn't really know what to say. I was like is six out of seven days a week every day?

Then she got to serious to quick and was talking about taking a cruise and going to Disneyland
    You know the difference between a Bitch and a Slut?

A Slut sleeps with everyone in town; a Bitch sleeps with everyone but you.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Paging Beetlejuice to the white courtesy phone. Here's your ticket, little buddy.
    You have to say his name three times

I did not know Tinder was named after a city or town in Virginia

I've never done tinder etc even though some also divorced friends have told me I should. Seems desperate and just horny crazy chicks looking for a booty call. I signed up for match recently but hedged on actually paying for it. I've always had great luck spontaneously meeting chicks and using my charm , wit and decent looks to make them laugh and hopefully want to get to know me better. Since turning 50 and being single for years after getting divorced, it seems harder to just meet chicks. I've got plenty of friends and old flames that don't mind dinner , good conversation and a good shag just to remember what the wonder years were all about. It would be nice to find another soul mate but it's tough to find a woman that's cool with skiing all the time and being on the water when it's warm. Having my freedom is maybe better than being shackled like a lot of my friends are. Looking back, the ex wife was a great woman but I grew tired of all the drama and stress of the relationship. We're still great friends.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Met my GF through Tinder. A lot of people seem to use it like it's Match or OK Cupid. Ya know, a more "serious" dating site. Oh, and I believe Match owns OKC and Tinder now anyway. Probably every other dating site/app/mess.
    I hear what Wastedeap/dunfee is saying about every area having a mould for profiles.
    Anyway, have fun ymmv

I've been using Tinder and Bumble since August. I really like them both. In my experience the 35-60 women are usually looking for more than a hookup (up to you to decide whether that's good or bad) and often but not always a full-on BF. As in the real world they all have their own ideas about sex and when that's appropriate for them.

I do believe that these apps are a very different experience for the 30 and under set than for us geezers.

I've been on dates with a good number of ladies. Not a single 'bad' date in the bunch. Some I wasn't interested in, some not interested in me (hard to believe ). I've been ghosted a few times after communicating and even setting up dates, I've had to tell a few that I wasn't interested, and I've been 'liked' by a few who surprised me (ie. YOUNG!). I've been told by many of my dates that there are a lot of buffoonish men out there, so if you're a reasonably kind, authentic, honest guy things can go pretty well!

The ghosting to me is the worst part. It doesn't make sense to me when someone matches, communicates within the app, maybe even exchanges phone numbers, plans to get together and then they disappear. I suspect these ladies get a TON of attention and before our date comes around they find someone they like and want to explore. That's all OK with me and I'm not butt-hurt about it, but we're supposed to be adults here so don't be a child and vanish, just tell me the fucking truth!

I've met some really wonderful, interesting, beautiful women of many different stripes and am regularly in touch with a small number of them. Everyone's different of course, and everyone's definition of those qualities and how they match up with yours will define your own dating experience.

The way I see these apps is this: I swipe right on women I find attractive and whose profiles are interesting to me. Everyone I've been out with I would notice walking down the street or in a bar, but would never approach in that kind of venue. These apps are a virtual street or bar where you can, without appearing threatening, approach women you find attractive at first glance and who find you the same, for a conversation to see if you might want to hang out.

In that light it doesn't feel creepy or desperate to me at all. It's just a new way of meeting people, and pretty damn efficient and fun. It's not without minor issues, but I have learned something new and enjoyed meeting every single one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Dude, ghosting makes total sense when you realize the volume of contacts even modestly attractive women receive on these apps. Women get absolutely bombarded by guys on these things. The current lady and I got a bit of a kick out of looking at that stuff before we nuked out accounts, and she consistently got messaged by 100+ guys per day, every day, the entire time she was on the site. You are just a number. Get used to it.

If you read my post, I wasn't complaining about it, just saying it was the most frustrating part - to me - of using the apps.

As I said, I do understand and am used to it, and get why it happens. Just doesn't fit with my way of doing things. If I have made a date with someone and don't want to do it for some reason I'll tell them and say thank you for their interest. It's common courtesy. I have little time for the lack thereof.

If they have time to match me, reach out, converse, give me their number, text or talk, make a date, they certainly have time to say, "thank you but I've changed direction". That took me 6 seconds to write.

Yeah, but you're enough a gentleman to back off when you're faced with rejection like that. Plenty of guys would flip out, start to beg, etc. It's easier to ghost than to deal with a stranger throwing a temper tantrum.

I am and don't pursue after that, mostly because I don't want to spend time with people who have shitty manners. And at the point where someone's begging or being a douche it's fair to ghost.

As an example, I recently - after a good bit of communication and phone exchange - had a woman ask me out on a specific date a week or so away as she was out of town. I accepted. A few days before said date I texted to confirm, and heard nary a peep, and haven't since. Again, it's common courtesy and this is simply disrespectful.

Also remember that the demographic I'm talking about should be self-aware enough after their life experiences (child rearing, marriages, divorces, etc.) to know better, have decent manners and know that it it is not cool to treat anyone like that in any part of life.

Again, not complaining, get why it happens, just not acceptable behavior in my universe, and it is frustrating when it happens.

I've had the best luck with Bumble. I've found the most efficient strategy is to suggest an in person date sooner than later. I'm unreasonably irritated by cliche yoga pose pictures, and boasts of how many countries have been visited.

Also avoid horse ladies.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

^^Hear hear. 100%.

I also avoid those in full Seahawks regalia at a game or elsewhere.

I don't know if it's a characteristic inherent to my demographic, or if it's a PNW thing but people seem to be incredibly flaky, even my own friends.

It's even worse when it comes to online dating. I've been ghosted after weeks of dating. Like fall off the map and she still has shit at my place.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Tinder va. Bumble vs. Himge

i haven’t been on any dating apps but have been ghosted by a girl who i went on several dates with who seemed at least half interested. very weird to me, and a sign that the person doesn’t have the social skills to deal with many other everyday situations.

funny this thread came up though, been tossing the idea of bumble around for a while. one of my old coworkers swore by it

I've heard that once you get past 50, the tables reverse, guys are in demand, girls more desperate. is that not the case?
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    I've heard that once you get past 50, the tables reverse, guys are in demand, girls more desperate. is that not the case?
    Wouldn’t say they’re desperate but they seem to realize they have to bring some substance to the party and can’t just rely on looks (like they might have done at 25-30).

Relatively normal looking dudes with decent social skills can meet some quality women in way less time than trying to run into them around town.