Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

100ish underfoot skis for 50/50 resort/BC

My obese quiver has one vacant spot. I'm tossing up between the following:

Sick Day 104 (or maybe 94)
    Moment PB&J
    Renoun Endurance 98
    Moment Commander 98

or future options like the Line Vision 98 or ZG105 (both lighter than anything above)

I'm looking for a capable BC ski that can double for resort use, but I'm not up for anything over 3.6kg for the pair (which takes out lots of all-mtn skis). Hence the short list above.

I've got Wildcats (normal and touring), and plenty of lighter touring skis. Looking for something that bridges the gap, but isn't too heavy, in the 100mm-ish range. I don't ski switch, but like going fast and hitting drops and jumps.

Any input on the above skis would be appreciated - or other suggestions are welcome!

Sick Day 104 is an awesome ski. I own the 88 but have skied the 104 and 94 as well. It is one of my favorites, because its a ski that is a lot of fun to be on, but is still relatively stiff and responsive, while not requiring too much work to ski. I think you could be very happy with a pair of Sick Day 104's with some Tecton's on them for the mixed use that you are describing.

Hearing good things about those 100 Bentchetlers... and they're super light.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Hearing good things about those 100 Bentchetlers... and they're super light.
    Bent Chetler 100s with a Shift binding could fill what he's looking for quite well, I definitely enjoyed those skis when I got to play with them, and I think if I could justify them for some purpose in my quiver I'd be adding them

How about the Head Core 99? I've never been on it, but I read good things and like its predecessors. It's light (in all but the largest size, it would meet your 3.6kg cut off I believe), certainly lighter than the PB&J (1940 vs. 2200 g/ski as measured by Blister).

I've got the bentchetlers 100 for that exact purpose in 180. They are light and relatively inexpensive. For what they weigh I would argue they ski very well. Lighter than many 50/50 offerings. Mounted on the line they are directional. Hold a great edge on groomers, but break free relatively easily. A ton of fun with any fresh snow. They are the kind of ski you don't really have to think about and can have a lot of fun no mater the condition. Relatively forgiving with a tail that is supportive. There are a lot skis in the ~2000g category that will likely charge harder. I would say if you want to ski with reckless abandon at the resort this isn't the best choice, but really I don't know many touring skis that can be skied like that. When I look at a drop that lands in firm sketchiness that will require fast skiing I tend to move on with these on my feet. They can be pushed pretty hard though. They are a ton of fun in techy consequential steep stuff. Very confidence inspiring.
    Other skis in the quiver: 180cm moment jaguar shark, 186 liberty variant 113, 180 fischer Hannibal. I have bentchetlers mounted with a cast system because I couldn't afford the shift.

I'd also put the ripsticks on the list. They are often overlooked in this category.

I'm on slightly different terrain and snow than you but I love my 188 cm PB&J's. Bomber ski that had held up for quite a few seasons.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure why I took the Bent Chetlers off that list, as it ticks lots of boxes (playful, progressive mount, light). Good to hear some positive reviews. I guess the one reservation is about how they'll go at speed - but I realise that at my weight limit, there's going to be some compromise.

Kore and Ripsticks were a bit meh according to Blister. And PB&J is still in the mix....but Bent Chetlers could be the go (ad yes, they'll be quiver-killed with Shifts and ATK Freeraiders).

I have found the Volkl 90eight to be really versatile, though it may not be as playful as you are looking for. On paper the Mantra V-Werks also could work, but I have no idea how they ski.

I only took a couple of runs on the V-Werks Mantra last year in bulletproof conditions. Though it was a great ski. Surprisingly solid edge hold and dampness, but wouldn't call it a fun/play ski. More directional, all mountain style board. Just my opinion, but I don't think it would be the exact right fit given your description. How about QST 99? This years update on the 106 made it a much better ski and it sounds like they will be doing something similar to the 99 next year. Liberty Origin 96 might also fit, super cool ski. Same with the Fischer Ranger 98. Or the Pinnacle 95 on the more playful side. Pinnacles are going to be getting really cheap anytime now

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    I only took a couple of runs on the V-Werks Mantra last year in bulletproof conditions. Though it was a great ski. Surprisingly solid edge hold and dampness, but wouldn't call it a fun/play ski. More directional, all mountain style board. Just my opinion, but I don't think it would be the exact right fit given your description. How about QST 99? This years update on the 106 made it a much better ski and it sounds like they will be doing something similar to the 99 next year. Liberty Origin 96 might also fit, super cool ski. Same with the Fischer Ranger 98. Or the Pinnacle 95 on the more playful side. Pinnacles are going to be getting really cheap anytime now
    What did they change on the QST 106 this year? I didn't realize there were changes made.

Are the BC 100s still available in the US? Here in Europe they are almost sold out everywhere - especially 188 and 180. Just called Atomic and they said there will be no restock - the ski will be available again in august.

Quote Originally Posted by tomh79 View Post
    Are the BC 100s still available in the US? Here in Europe they are almost sold out everywhere - especially 188 and 180. Just called Atomic and they said there will be no restock - the ski will be available again in august.
    Evo has them in stock in every size as of today

hey man just wanted to say I demoed a pair of zero g 95s inbounds, was not a great experience. Way too light I think to handle tougher conditions at the resort, so I would cross those off.

The new version?

You should throw the BD Route 105 in the mix. Skis very well inbounds and BC. Not the most bomber ski, but probably as durable or more so than many sub 3.6 kg skis and I think a better ski, durability wise, than BD's recent options.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    What did they change on the QST 106 this year? I didn't realize there were changes made.
    Added basalt yo! Demoed these out of boredom on a groomer day and was shocked how much I liked them, even coming off a Mantra M5 and Bonafide first.

No it was the older version, maybe the new version is better though

Fischer Ranger 98 Ti?

Black Crows Deamon (very slightly to heavy) but might be what you are looking for otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    Black Crows Deamon (very slightly to heavy) but might be what you are looking for otherwise.
    1850g stares weight at 183 is on the lighter side, not sure what you’re looking at.

Some good suggestions, thanks all. I demoed the Rangers a while back - didn't agree with them for some reason.

Deamon looks good, but I'm not a fully rockered sorta skier.

No one been on Renouns? I'm probably going to go with Bentchetler 100s, or maybe the SD104. Must be a reason they're selling like hot cakes.

I think you can't go wrong with BC 100s or SD104 - at least based on reviews. Found a good deal (350$) on the BC 100s (188cm) - should get them tomorrow or day after.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    As andyski pointed out they added Basalt this season and I believe I read somewhere that they changed the orientation of one of the sheets 90deg to add torsional stiffness, both for more inbounds/firm snow performance. With the Basalt they gained 100g per ski. Next year's are replacing the Koroyd with cork in the tip (and tails?).