Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

trans-cascadia 2019

so stoked to have bagged one of the 100 spots on this years trans-cascadia enduro 2019 ,
    any one done this amazing event , any beta would be most appreciated

Start doing core work, and rest your liver.

I’ve ridden and very much enjoyed some of the trails they’ve refurbished. Most envious.

Haven't done it but very jealous. Good luck, here's some stoke.

It sucks to suck.

trans-cascadia 2019

Super rad event and venue...
    Long past racing in general, let alone an enduro event of this magnitude, but I have signed up for the June volunteer work days.

Isn’t the point to not have any beta?

Lucky dude/ette! Please post TR photos.
    My guess is pack lots of extra dry socks and short liners, you never know but it can be pretty wet that time of year.

I get stoked every time I watch this vid:

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Super rad event and venue...
    Long past racing in general, let alone an enduro event of this magnitude, but I have signed up for the June volunteer work days.
    thought my racing days were over too , but couldn't resist this trip , would have loved to help out on trails but im from uk and can only get out for the event , many thanks to all the volunteers who make this work , did the BCBR a few years back and was blown away by the amount of work people but into these remote trails .

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Isn’t the point to not have any beta?

Lucky dude/ette! Please post TR photos.
    My guess is pack lots of extra dry socks and short liners, you never know but it can be pretty wet that time of year.

I get stoked every time I watch this vid:

ha , don't think any trail info would speed me up the rankings anyhow !! just going for the whole experience and the awesome Mtb vibes that seem to be around this amazing event , will post photos for sure

Never done trans cascadia, but did trans bc last year.

Assorted advice:

- have lots of spare parts. Shit brakes when you're pushing hard.

- go ridiculously slow on the climbs. It's really easy to forget about this and start pedaling at your normal pace, which will leave you with a lot less energy after doing a lot of riding, multiple days in a row. I actually kind of had to train myself to climb at "enduro pace".

- dial in what you're going to carry. The less, the better. Make use of their feed / water stations.

- trans cascadia seems maybe a little mellower, but if you're going to run a full face, get that figured out before the race. In bc on the first day, there were a lot of guys fucking around with figuring out how to carry their dh lids on climbs.

- the biggest thing for me was practicing riding blind at speed. Everyone can pin it on their home trails that they know well. It's an entirely different thing to go race pace on a trail you've never seen before. Spend as much time as you can riding trails that you don't know well and trying to go fast on them. Get good at riding through mistakes - fuck ups are inevitable, but what matters is getting back up to speed and not letting a couple bobbles kill the flow.

Quote Originally Posted by scblurlt View Post
    thought my racing days were over too , but couldn't resist this trip , would have loved to help out on trails but im from uk and can only get out for the event , many thanks to all the volunteers who make this work , did the BCBR a few years back and was blown away by the amount of work people but into these remote trails .
    Best of luck to you!
    I hope you have great weather and a great time.
    Who knows, maybe we'll run into each other, I may also volunteer to help with the event it's self.

Bring a sharpie and a sweet old jersey to get signed by Minnaar and friends. And maybe Sage.
    Bring a bottle of booze for said DH legend.
    Bring weed in case The Rat shows up.
    Bring a selfie stick.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Never done trans cascadia, but did trans bc last year.

Assorted advice:

- have lots of spare parts. Shit brakes when you're pushing hard.

- go ridiculously slow on the climbs. It's really easy to forget about this and start pedaling at your normal pace, which will leave you with a lot less energy after doing a lot of riding, multiple days in a row. I actually kind of had to train myself to climb at "enduro pace".

- dial in what you're going to carry. The less, the better. Make use of their feed / water stations.

- trans cascadia seems maybe a little mellower, but if you're going to run a full face, get that figured out before the race. In bc on the first day, there were a lot of guys fucking around with figuring out how to carry their dh lids on climbs.

- the biggest thing for me was practicing riding blind at speed. Everyone can pin it on their home trails that they know well. It's an entirely different thing to go race pace on a trail you've never seen before. Spend as much time as you can riding trails that you don't know well and trying to go fast on them. Get good at riding through mistakes - fuck ups are inevitable, but what matters is getting back up to speed and not letting a couple bobbles kill the flow.
    great advise cheers , managing the climbs is going to be an interesting as we don't have the big hills in my area , but will defo get in that steady pace mode , out to van/whistler in July so plan to ride lots of stuff ive not seen before around Squamish and the Valley to work on the blind racing and big climbs
    deciding on taking my fox proframe which as long as its not super hot works really well

great advise cheers , managing the climbs is going to be an interesting as we don't have the big hills in my area , but will defo get in that steady pace mode , out to van/whistler in July so plan to ride lots of stuff ive not seen before around Squamish and the Valley to work on the blind racing and big climbs
    deciding on taking my fox proframe which as long as its not super hot works really well
    The Proframe looks sweet for this sort of thing. In the Trans BC, they didn't make us wear helmets on climbs, which was really nice. On long fireroad grinds, I'd just strap the lid to my pack. But I've done other enduros where helmets had to be worn all the time. It'd be worth checking with cascadia to see what their policy on that is.

Will do !! As in UK races helmets must be worn at all times, and would be nice to only take one lid

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've got a proframe. It's the bees knees. Better vented than my TLD A1. Could take the cheek pads out for long climbs and it wouldn't feel much different than a half shell.
    Only drawbacks I can see:
    Fixed visor means cant wear your goggles on the forehead.
    Buckle is sweet, but takes a bit of getting used to. I could see a scenario where you or a good samaritan couldn't get your lid off in a hurry.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5773ee60-b4e9-4bec-90a3-af32c36df250.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	270051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17ac1c1d-30ba-4cb4-afba-3a9cc4d411c5.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	270052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b61545d1-dc34-4c6d-b7cf-f11b78b8e7e3.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	270053

this is the start of the custom build Bronson that ill be taking on the trans Cascadia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acefbb77-76e1-47c0-b45b-2acfa676bd29.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	270050  

Sick PNW emblem! My splitboard and skis are also adorned with indigenous animal totem graphics.

I’m getting shoulder surgery next week, and also the race might not be in our zone again this year ... so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to volly for any trail rehab for the race this season. I was hoping to help out on a few dig days for Transcascadia at some point, as I’m only 30 mins from Oakridge OR.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Sick PNW emblem! My splitboard and skis are also adorned with indigenous animal totem graphics.

I’m getting shoulder surgery next week, and also the race might not be in our zone again this year ... so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to volly for any trail rehab for the race this season. I was hoping to help out on a few dig days for Transcascadia at some point, as I’m only 30 mins from Oakridge OR.
    Sweet graphics, good luck with the op !!

Name:	IMG_2327.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	277052

Name:	IMG_2325.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	277053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2334.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	277054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2318.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	277055

The completed custom build of my bike built for the race :/)

You definitely need to crash that thing a bunch of times before the race. A bike with no paint chips or scratches is bad luck.

After two days rain here , will christen it sure on some welsh slate tomorrow;-)

Name:	IMG_2325.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	277053
    Is it the camera angle or is that stem decal ever so slightly tilted? Either way it does not agree with my mild ocd.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Is it the camera angle or is that stem decal ever so slightly tilted? Either way it does not agree with my mild ocd.
    my not so mild ocd would never allow it to be so !!

p.s its not a decal ;-)

trans-cascadia 2019

Ummm, what size frame ... can I buy that thing off of you when you are done with Trans Cascadia, since clearly you shouldn’t be bringing an American designed, Chinese made, Canadian inspired bike build home to the land of Brexit ... win win for everyone!

p.s. that thing is a work of art!
    Last edited by SchralphMacchio; 04-05-2019 at 09:46 PM.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

trans-cascadia 2019

Ummm, what size frame ... can I buy that thing off of you when you are done with Trans Cascadia, since clearly you shouldn’t be bringing an American designed, Chinese made, Canadian inspired bike build home to the land of Brexit ... win win for everyone!

p.s. that thing is a work of art!
    Sure thing , will confirm exchange rate in October when done as think a quid will equal a buck by then ;-)

Ps medium