Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Twin-Tip Charger/Backcountry Jump Skis Reccomendations

Title says it all. Looked at Bibbies, Kartels, Black Ops - would a stiffened Magnus 102 work? Any other recommendations? Looking for really chargey skis for twin tips.

Quote Originally Posted by freerideskiing View Post
    Looking for really chargey skis for twin tips.
    If this ^^^ is really what you want, the early Wrenegade had a twin.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    If this ^^^ is really what you want, the early Wrenegade had a twin.
    Was it a true twin? I thought it was a flat twin?

Was it a true twin? I thought it was a flat twin?
    Nope, it had a true twin before they made it a partial twin in like 11/12?

Powtron was selling some 191 Caylors a while back, those might work well for you.

A stiff K116 or a Bibby would also probably work well.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Magnus has a lot of rocker. Id think a stiffened 191 Kartel 108 is what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    Magnus has a lot of rocker. Id think a stiffened 191 Kartel 108 is what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Aeverflex Kartel?

If you're willing to pay custom prices, get extra stiff from a combination of woodgrain top + 22 oz fiberglass and having them mill the core thicker, as opposed to the standard layup + double carbon, which will add stiffness but IMHO makes them not as damp. Just my $0.02 unless you're fine with how carbon-ey skis feel.

photos

If you're willing to pay custom prices, get extra stiff from a combination of woodgrain top + 22 oz fiberglass and having them mill the core thicker, as opposed to the standard layup + double carbon, which will add stiffness but IMHO makes them not as damp. Just my $0.02 unless you're fine with how carbon-ey skis feel.
    How would double carbon + thicker core feel? Do you know what exactly the Aeverflex core/stringers consist of?

How would double carbon + thicker core feel? Do you know what exactly the Aeverflex core/stringers consist of?
    I bet it would be too stiff. But no, I don't know exactly what the aeverflex is made of, except ON3P said it was "double carbon" and it seems like some people, including aevergreen himself, thought maybe it was too much carbon. But mostly that's just speculation on my part. Frankly, these types of questions are probably best discussed with Scott at ON3P if you're serious about having them made. I do know my stiff 191 BGs and 186 Jeffrey 110s are made with woodgrain tops + 22 oz glass + core milled thicker (in the tail) and ski fantastic.

photos

Scott Punisher 110, can be found really cheap.

Lähetetty minun FIG-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

How big and tall are you? I'm super happy with my new Bent Chetler 120s as a playful 50/50 backcountry/resort twin, but I don't think you could quite describe them as "chargey." They work well for me at 5'10" and 165lbs with a very light on my feet riding style, but I imagine they're too floppy for a bigger person that really wants to rail.

Basic Bibbies with out any additional shit is exactly what you are describing. Look no futher

If a 190 bibby doesn’t handle what you’re describing, you are both much bigger and more badass than I. Kartel 116 191 would be the upgrade if you need it.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Faction CT 3.0 is almost exactly what you want. Full twin, 108, 22m. My 20yro has no speed limit and really likes these as a do it all ski for all mtn and park. Hes 5'7" 155, rides the 186.

Man up for the 204cm if you are a big dude.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Agree that the current (ie non-heavy) bibby is the obvious choice. Kartel is way too heavy to drag uphill. Black Ops is even heavier. Both those skis are 2400+ grams. Bibby is down to like 2000 I think

gunsmoke

look at older fwt footage if you are unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    gunsmoke

look at older fwt footage if you are unsure.
    My DPS Koalas remind me a little of those but wider.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

MVPs if you want something narrower than Bibbys

Do you know what exactly the Aeverflex core/stringers consist of?
    isn't it "just" a standard core with double the regular carbon? I think Scott&crew also choose the heaviest cores for those skis, but I do not believe the core was milled differently. Built to be burly though. My w88s that are built the same way. They are stiff - like very, very stiff. If you are able to get jibby on skis that stiff then you charge harder than 99% of anybody on skis imo and must have legs of thunder and weigh a ton. An aeverflex Kartel - meaning a ski as stiff as w88s - sounds a bit ambitious to put it mildly imo.

My custom stiffer k116 (extra carbon and 19oz skis to keep weight down and prevent plankiness (i am fairly light), but can also be built using w/22oz glass and/or veneer tops to gain more weight and stiffness) are a happy medium. They should add a bit of umph while still retaining playfulness in deeper snow due to the heavy rocker line. They should also gain some hard snow carviness. Have yet to get one them though, so can't comment on how they'll ride - but I am expecting daily driver status in my snow rich locale quiver.

I would think a custom stiffer k108 would be plenty good at plenty of things if you like to get both jibby, spinny and chargy. The regular k108 is an absolute riot, if a bit softish in the shovels for straight up charging in variable snow perhaps. Still, they are very, very entertaining. Also, if you are used to softer/medium stiff freestyle/park skis a stock kartel might be plenty chargy enough too - the middle part of the ski definately packs a bit of a punch and is no noodle.

It does kinda sound like you need to decide what width you wanna go with though, then decide what ski model you are going for. Do you have the opportunity to demo skis per chance?

You're considering skis ranging from 100-ish underfoot to over 120 underfoot. Kinda seems like you need to narrow down your inquiry.

I starting to think we've been trolled.

Aevergreenjuice? is that you?

photos

Charger and Backcountry should never be used in the same sentence. Either you want it it light for backcountry use or you don't give a shit and just care about the down. Which is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Charger and Backcountry should never be used in the same sentence. Either you want it it light for backcountry use or you don't give a shit and just care about the down. Which is fine.
    Sled skiing to session a bc booter or mini-golf/pillow lines? That's where my mind went when I read this thread.

photos

Sled skiing to session a bc booter or mini-golf/pillow lines? That's where my mind went when I read this thread.
    Yeah, so you don't really need a backcountry ski.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yeah, so you don't really need a backcountry ski.
    Which is why he said "twin-tip charger/backcountry jump skis." Nowhere did he say he wanted a backcountry ski or that weight was a factor. He did say, "Looking for really chargey skis with twin tips."

That said, obviously he's all over the map looking at skis from 102 to 120 underfoot.

photos