J Skis Customer Service & The Metal

I won't bother with the background of J Skis or Jason Levinthal. Been beat to death here. What I want to do is commend their customer service and review the The Metal.

I bought a new pair of The Metals some time ago. They've sat in my garage unmounted while I've toured or skied BGs inbounds. I go to mount them and find they are warped along the Y-axis. A short video and email to J Skis, and they offer to refund the ski at MSRP, swap for a diff ski or receive a replacement. They were also OK with mounting the ski so I could try it and then extending the same warranty. All of this happened over email, was super easy, friendly, prompt, and an all around incredibly positive experience. Perhaps the best customer service I've had in the skiing industry. Kudos. Yes, this is the result you'd expect -- but too often companies don't do what we think they should, and when one does, I think we ought to commend that.

Re The Metal. Been seeing a lot of chatter here but not a lot of info. Generally speaking J Skis' flex patterns are probably not TGR's cup of tea. Mostly round and soft. I've only been on The Metal one day but it was a blast. Zero learning curve. Its flex is def rounder/softer compared to my other skis. Not noodly fold up on you soft, but no one would confuse this ski with being a charger.

It is heavy; my 186s weigh 2300g. The swing weight felt less than 2300 suggests. I was comfortable throwing shifties on medium sized airs which I do not even try on my BGs. Landing were very smooth. Not stomp monsters but the ski was super forgiving on a couple backseat and generally uncoordinated landings. Very balanced being sent off lips and cat tracks.

Its gentle taper complimented the weight during turns. According to ski tracks my top speed was 64mph. the ski felt predictable and held a nice edge on soft groomers. Could throw it sideways at speed. I did not experience the ski trying to force me into a carve during slashes like blister reported.

Would not recommend in frozen bumps.

Maybe a sign I'm getting old at 32 but this was just nice and fun. Didn't have to concentrate on the ski or think about anything besides ripping around.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Awesome review...I have debated the metal a few times now. Glad you had a great experience...may have to get a pair now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2164.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	587.8 KB 
ID:	268006

Have trotted mine around as a 1sq on my Mtn Collective travels and they’ve served me well across a fat menu of conditions. I’m 5-10 150 and they work as a pow ski for me. I only noticed the weight in BC hot pow (I still don’t know what ski works well in a 5,000 ft slurpee). Top sheets not for everyone, but they totally obscure the scratches from trees, poles and underpaid TSA baggage proctologists. I’m scouting something skinnier & lighter for tight trees and bumps, but have no problem grabbing these 99% of the time. Also gets head nod from lifties. YMMV.

I wish they’d come out with a non-metal, stiff ski similar to the pb&j.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Campbell View Post
    Allplay too soft?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Campbell View Post
    The Vacation?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

I ski the Friend, Metal and Master Blaster. These things are just pure fun and perform well at speed to boot. No were near as confident at mach loony as my quiver of PM gear Bro's but much easier to keep going all day long. It's interesting to start the day on a relatively stiff to silly stiff ski with a 30 something meter radius and then switch to a 17-19 meter rad with a much softer round flex. I've had the same experience with their customer service too, couldn't ask for better.

I'll add onto both: Agreed on the customer service, I didn't have any issues but they were quick to send a shop employee code and even let me know a day or two ahead of time when a new graphic was coming out (the mountain painting one.)

Pretty much would just echo what margotron said, just super easy to ski everyday in just about any condition. Pretty surprised with how well they do in fairly deep snow for the size, wish the tail had a bit more beef to it but that's it.

J customer service is awesome. Bought the metal and masterblaster this summer a few weeks apart and they took care of a unique shipping request no hesitation. Awesome employees

Did you feel like the 186 metal skied short? Are you on 189 BGs?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Did you feel like the 186 metal skied short? Are you on 189 BGs?
    I'm on 189 BGs. In terms of maneuverability, the metal skis short. In terms of stability, they ski long

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I'm on 189 BGs. In terms of maneuverability, the metal skis short. In terms of stability, they ski long
    Sweet, ever feel like your going over the bars?

Sweet, ever feel like your going over the bars?
    When I land forward in grabby snow. Nearly went over yesterday - that feeling when your heel starts to lift. after the hit I figured out my boots weren’t buckled so maybe that has to do with it.

on groomers, crud, bumps, 6” of pow, no, not over the bars. It’s a heavy ski. At 106 underfoot and 184 measured length, it’s 2350g. My BGs are 2400g albeit but much stiffer. I ski them similar, cept BG on pow and and pow days, metals the rest.

Im looking into the Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    When I land forward in grabby snow. Nearly went over yesterday - that feeling when your heel starts to lift. after the hit I figured out my boots weren’t buckled so maybe that has to do with it.

on groomers, crud, bumps, 6” of pow, no, not over the bars. It’s a heavy ski. At 106 underfoot and 184 measured length, it’s 2350g. My BGs are 2400g albeit but much stiffer. I ski them similar, cept BG on pow and and pow days, metals the rest.

Im looking into the Vacation
    Awesome thanks again. I'd love to get on a pair, they seem right up my alley, albeit them being short is my only worry.

Are you looking for the vacation to provide a lighter more playful feel?

Awesome thanks again. I'd love to get on a pair, they seem right up my alley, albeit them being short is my only worry.

Are you looking for the vacation to provide a lighter more playful feel?
    yeah. i love my metals, they have made me a much more creative skier this year. they are very playful id say, but with a supportive, albeit tolerable, backbone. i want to take that playfulness to the next level.

also thought about the PBJ or PBJ jib, but I really like the metal, and want to keep that DNA

The vacation will definitely up the playfulness. They were described to me by a J employee as "the J Blend"

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    The vacation will definitely up the playfulness. They were described to me by a J employee as "the J Blend"
    ehhh that might be a bridge too far then