Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Fifty One?

tuckermans might not be a lot of things, but it most certainly is a classic. more history there then in any other entry in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Read the intro to the book... he decided to include various regions to make it fun instead of some stupid ranked list. It’s not 50 best, it’s just 50 classics. You guys can put your dicks away already.
    Right, and St. Elias is not a classic. It's been skied like twice, and I think the first time someone in the party died. How is that a classic? Like it's really fucking cool, but it's not a classic ski descent. Because nobody skis it. Because it's basically impossible to ski, unless you get really fucking lucky. Whereas there are numerous classics all over the place in Alaska, including southeast Alaska. Is St. Elias one of the most badass mountains there is? Yeah, is it a classic ski descent? No.

Side note, I hope St. Elias doesn't kill Cody, it seriously is a dangerous big mountain with the shittiest weather in the world.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Jesus man, don’t be a fucking jinx with talk like that. Cody already said he isn’t going to do anything stupid just to try to check them all off in 3 years.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Is k2 a classic?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Jesus man, don’t be a fucking jinx with talk like that. Cody already said he isn’t going to do anything stupid just to try to check them all off in 3 years.
    You probably did not mean to say or imply it that way, but those that have died on mount st Elias were not necessarily doing something “stupid” to check a box on their list.

Quote Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
    3) Liberty Ridge on Rainier. I haven't skied the Finger, but from a pure aesthetics standpoint, I wouldn't have given that top 5 on Rainier, let alone all of WA. The finger looks like somebody stuck a 2k' Colorado couloir in the middle of Rainier. I thought Lib Ridge was the finest quality ski descent I've seen or skied in the lower 48. Plainly visible from the Puget Sound metro. Long, continuous, exposed. Deserves to be in both 50 classics books.
    This one sticks in my head a little. The Finger does offer the possibility of a descent of more than 10k ft most years with the right timing. This is truly exceptional.

When we did Liberty in a day, it was around 11.5k ft of skiing. But the road we used is now forever closed to the public! So good luck with the day trip unless you have some insider access. The Finger is an easy(ish) day trip! Lots of cool stuff to feed fantasies on the west side as well, too bad about West Side Road.

Two noms for addition for very different reasons.

Tram Face. Steep, consequential, illegal, and right in your fuggin face. To me, a "classic" can be one of two things: well-known with features that make it very notable, memorable, and emblematic of other descents that are similar but not as continuously excellent. Tram Face (at Squaw) fits right in that. Yes, it's not that rad. Yes, not exotic. Yes, not that technical. But lots of history and very well-known and some tasty forbidden fruit. [commence flaming] TahoeJ posted a great TF pic earlier this year in the Tahoe thread.

On other note, I'll note that the book's NA list has lines from USA, Canada, and Baffin. No Mexico. Therefore, I'll also nominate Pico de Orizaba because it fits my second definition of "classic" - exotic, technical, unusual, always firm as fuck, and highly memorable. Plus, you're skiing in MEX!

Really, though, I'd be happy stoked to ski any of the lines mentioned thus far.

Also....AK is overrated
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    You probably did not mean to say or imply it that way, but those that have died on mount st Elias were not necessarily doing something “stupid” to check a box on their list.
    There's a lot more objective risk on that mountain than most other mountains in the world. I don't think Cody is gonna do anything stupid, but St. Elias is definitely the crux of his project, and likely the most dangerous. Denali is child's play relatively (It helps that the park service fixes lines up it and you start at ~7k' and the weather is much more predictable/favorable). I would be nervous about anyone attempting it regardless of mountaineering experience and talent.

I still think St. Elias is not a classic ski line, and would probably not be on a list of 50 classic ski lines in Alaska put together by Alaskans.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I still think St. Elias is not a classic ski line, and would probably not be on a list of 50 classic ski lines in Alaska put together by Alaskans.
    Because as you’ve shown, being Alaskan automatically makes you an expert?
    A book full of stuff that you think you can ski would be pretty boring to thumb through.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Two noms for addition for very different reasons.

Tram Face. Steep, consequential, illegal, and right in your fuggin face. To me, a "classic" can be one of two things: well-known with features that make it very notable, memorable, and emblematic of other descents that are similar but not as continuously excellent. Tram Face (at Squaw) fits right in that. Yes, it's not that rad. Yes, not exotic. Yes, not that technical. But lots of history and very well-known and some tasty forbidden fruit. [commence flaming] TahoeJ posted a great TF pic earlier this year in the Tahoe thread.

On other note, I'll note that the book's NA list has lines from USA, Canada, and Baffin. No Mexico. Therefore, I'll also nominate Pico de Orizaba because it fits my second definition of "classic" - exotic, technical, unusual, always firm as fuck, and highly memorable. Plus, you're skiing in MEX!
    Great call on Pico de Orizaba. Not to mention it has an elevation of about 18,500 feet! Third highest mountain in all of N.A.

Here's that Tram face photo from last month... this is just the upper half of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-01 09.05.03.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	278070

50 classic poaches of North America.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Because as you’ve shown, being Alaskan automatically makes you an expert?
    A book full of stuff that you think you can ski would be pretty boring to thumb through.
    Being an Alaskan skier makes you more of an expert on Alaskan skiing than someone who flies up for a month a year at most and spends most of their time in helicopters guided by non Alaskans yes. There is actually a community of locals here.

I still maintain that a mountain that has been skied by a single digit amount of people is not a classic. Change my mind?

Being an Alaskan skier makes you more of an expert on Alaskan skiing than someone who flies up for a month a year at most and spends most of their time in helicopters guided by non Alaskans yes. There is actually a community of locals here.

I still maintain that a mountain that has been skied by a single digit amount of people is not a classic. Change my mind?
    And we have some serious lines in the Eastern Sierra beyond just what's listed and aren't beating our chests about how much radder they are than Tuckerman's.

There is no definition of what classic even means in the way it's being used, so... this is kind of a dumb discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    50 classic poaches of North America.
    This actually could be a cool book.

this is kind of a dumb discussion.
    No kidding, the book was based on the "50 Classic Climbs in North America" which includes the Hummingbird Ridge, which has only been successfully climbed once and will likely never be repeated, thus why the authors of the 50 Classic Ski Descents probably felt it was appropriate to include St. Elias. These books are made to inspire and spark our imaginations, not be an authoritative source of what defines a classic. I have my own list of what I define as classic, some are in the book others aren't. If it's bothering you so much that your favorite AK lines aren't in the book write your own damn book.

With that +1 for Pico de Orizaba

AKPM's book will be titled "50 Most commonly done ski descents in North America". Sadly, it will have zero routes in AK, being made up entirely of routes in CO's front range and Wasangeles.

I was the one that made fun of the Silver being included (mentioned by the OP). Then I realzied that was dumb. Who cares what Dav included? It's just a really, really nice coffee table book. Put any line in there you want. He should come out with volume 2 with 50 new lines next.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    AKPM's book will be titled "50 Most commonly done ski descents in North America". Sadly, it will have zero routes in AK, being made up entirely of routes in CO's front range and Wasangeles.
    Submissions for PNW: Muir Snowfield on Mt. Rainier, Blueberry Chutes at Mt. Baker Ski Area, the easy route on Mt. Hood (but not from the summit), the Slot on Mt. Snoqualmie and Tye Peak at Stevens Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Nah, I just don't see how a line 4 people on earth have ever skied is a classic. Maybe the most badass ski line on earth (nearly 20,000 vert, yes, a classic though... ?

Anyway, this discussion is moot because it apparently no longer snows in Alaska. (FML)

this place is really missing the "shut the fuck up you fucking moron" guy

St Elias was a legendary descent before the book, and continues to be one after. Longest skiable mountain fall line in the world. I think it fits perfectly in the scope of the book given the motivation from 50 classic climbs. Much like the climbing book, there are routes in the ski book that were accessible at publication, those that were test pieces at publication, but are becoming increasingly accessible now, and those that will likely remain test pieces for quite some time. For sure, Robson, University, St. Elias would all be very high on my list of monumental ski mountaineering achievements. Seems like S. Face Denali , West Rib, and Wickersham must have at least been in the running for the super test pieces. It's hard not to consider the biggest and gnarliest ski mountains in the continent in a book like this.

I’m under the impression that only two or three people have claimed to ski the entire descent of university peak (from the summit).

cali specific: I recently saw a picture for last spring (I think) of a chute in the kaweahs that looked pretty spectacular. Supposedly, it is a 3 day approach. What about the gullies on San jacinto near Palm Springs. Those are pretty long when there’s been a deeper pack with a low snow level.

Baffin Island has a few lines that seem worthy.

I don't know the history of University Peak (obviously) but among the list of objectives in Alaska... Which is endless... Why this one? (I'm guessing because Chris Davenport skied it and wants to brag?) Are they both amazing cool mountains that are super badass and I want no part of of (I once spent 5 days at the base of St. Elias when it rained 13 inches)? Sure. Should they be among the 50 classic ski descents of North America? I'm not sure, 50 most badass? Probably. 50 classics in Alaska? Sure.
    Patrick, you really need to use Google before posting accusatory garbage like this. This is kind of like fiddling with a product in a shop for twenty minutes and trying to post a thorough review.

yes his knowledge of Alaska mountaineering history is similar to his spelling
    off your knees Louie

Wow, that went south fast...

I really wish they could have pulled off that FWT on Tram Face a bunch of years back.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.