Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Fifty One?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Counters gotta count.
    things they are a changin.

Quote Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
    List books are always controversial, and everybody has an opinion on where the authors missed the mark. In the Alka thread, lots of folks were questioning why certain lines made the cut. Personally, I think the Silver is a blast and super classic - albeit probably not top 5 in CO...

So, this thread is a chance to come up with the 51st through 60th classics, and/or bitch about ones that should have been scratched.

I'd add for consideration (only contributing for places I've lived):
    1) The Dragons Tail in RMNP. Strikingly visible from the most popular TH in one of the nation's most popular national parks. Outstanding skiing and aesthetics. CO's front range deserves a classic, and no routes match DT for that criteria (that said, it isnt my favorite couloir in RMNP, just the most classic)

2) I think Long's, as CO's most famous mountain (arguably) deserves a shout out. It's hard to give Cables classic status for 800' of skiing, but it's a damn fine 800'. Position is incredible. You get to ski a historical climbing route with a 5th class crux. Classic.

3) Liberty Ridge on Rainier. I haven't skied the Finger, but from a pure aesthetics standpoint, I wouldn't have given that top 5 on Rainier, let alone all of WA. The finger looks like somebody stuck a 2k' Colorado couloir in the middle of Rainier. I thought Lib Ridge was the finest quality ski descent I've seen or skied in the lower 48. Plainly visible from the Puget Sound metro. Long, continuous, exposed. Deserves to be in both 50 classics books.

I'd love to hear what folks would add to WY, CA, MT, BC and AB. I thought the Mendenhall in CA was damn cool and historic. I'm not well traveled in CA, so I'm sure there are many others more deserving than that.
    are you iskibc?

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    are you iskibc?
    I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    I'm not sure what the criteria is here. For example, maybe a couple dozen people have skied Split's East Couloir, in part because of the mandatory rappel. It's pretty and definitely an impressive test-piece, but it doesn't strike me as the most "classic" of lines because it's not particularly visible and it's so hard that very few people have skied it. And Avy Gulch is extremely popular and a fine descent, but there are much better lines on Shasta, IMO. I tend to go for long, sustained, aesthetic lines that are steep but not poop-your-pants steep. I also like top-to-bottom skiing of entire mountains, rather than a particular segment of a mountain. Anyhow, here's my $.01 on the Sierra classics that might be considered and which I've actually skied, not necessarily in any particular order:
    Thanks for adding these sierra classics. I'm planning a trip somewhere end of the month, and Sierras are a likely destination. I'll be sure to check out a few of these!

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_Shoe View Post
    Hey errybody, I stole that pic of the San Joaquin Couloir from lordhelmut14 on summitpost; it's not mine.

Rainier: Mowich Face vs Liberty vs ? Liberty gets a lot of consideration because it's 5000 vf of the goods and the exposure and aesthetics of turning between Willis Wall and Ptarmigan Ridge are totally insane. Mowich Face is one heckuva line but if memory serves correctly it's only 1,000 meters of the business. If I had to pick something on Rainier and recommend it to people looking to successfully ski something fully epic with decent to good conditions, I'd tell them to also consider Kautz Headwall and Success Couloirs because they're also huge and steep with decent corn more bankable on the southern aspects.
    Not many folks with your breadth of Rainier experience - thanks for chiming in. I sure hope I can get a chance to ski Kautz HW, Success and Mowich one of these days to back up my opinion beyond just aesthetics.

Edited cause NW couloir needs a photo. Just look at that thing - begging to be skied.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8359.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	413.3 KB 
ID:	277817
    I'm in agreement too on both Crestone mountains. NW couloir on the Peak is one of the most striking lines in the state. I've only skied it in pretty tough conditions, but we still had a blast. I've skied needle in good and bad snow and had plenty of fun both times.

A well traveled friend was asking me the other day what I thought the best line in the state was. I couldn't really come up with an answer. Certainly none of the lines in the 50 classics book that I have skied stuck out to me as the clear #1. I've had a lot of nice skis on a lot of nice lines. The ones that standout as single lines (vs part of a longer tour) are the ones that seem improbable, or had high uncertainty at the time. Aside from some fresh experiences that felt particularly vivid, that NW couloir on Crestone Peak was near the top of my list. I'd love to ski it in fatter conditions (like those in my photo above).

Quote Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
    A well traveled friend was asking me the other day what I thought the best line in the state was. I couldn't really come up with an answer. Certainly none of the lines in the 50 classics book that I have skied stuck out to me as the clear #1. I've had a lot of nice skis on a lot of nice lines.
    Have you skied Landry? At least for me, it's several heads and several shoulders above anything else in CO I've skied, and compares favorably to other lines in the 50 book that I've skied outside CO. That's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Have you skied Landry? At least for me, it's several heads and several shoulders above anything else in CO I've skied, and compares favorably to other lines in the 50 book that I've skied outside CO. That's just me though.
    I almost included the caveat that I haven't in my statement. Too damn popular - almost headed over on Sunday I'm sure at some point I'll get around to it.

tom and laurel (mendenhall and pinner) are the 2 biggest omissions in cali imho

really miss sky's contributions to this place. good to see u back and hope yer still gettin after it+++

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post

really miss sky's contributions to this place. good to see u back and hope yer still gettin after it+++
    they do not see enough traffic already?
    off your knees Louie

Mendenhall is one of the nicest lines I've skied anywhere (certainly above Bloody and Avy Gulch and probably on par with Giant's Steps in my books). Plus with that roadside visibility, it's certainly a classic to me.

I'd put the San Joaquin in there over many of the CO lines as well. That thing is such a beauty.

Respect to Dav and the authors though. Can't be easy to put together a list like this when there are so many great lines on offer. The book is a ton of fun to look through and get inspiration from!

^^^ what does that have to do with anything???
    they are arguably the most "classic" descents in the e sierra. split and giant steps are among the raddest lines,........ but classic??? for me, to be a true classic, it needs to be in shape often and somewhat obtainable and has seen plenty of descents. for example, the n face of robson, while legendary and steeped in history, is not a classic by my def. all in good fun. great thread

^^^ what does that have to do with anything???
    they are arguably the most "classic" descents in the e sierra. split and giant steps are among the raddest lines,........ but classic??? for me, to be a true classic, it needs to be in shape often and somewhat obtainable and has seen plenty of descents. for example, the n face of robson, while legendary and steeped in history, is not a classic by my def. all in good fun. great thread
    Yea I can't disagree with you on the definition of classic or the inclusions of those lines. I do think Mendenhall still fits the bill.

It's interesting to see the definition changing depending on who was picking the lines (I.e. all rad lines in AK, a mix in CA, all accessible lines in the PNW).

I must say I like it better with all the out there lines in it though - much more fun for eye candy!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 50 Classic Climbs book, which served as the inspiration for the ski descent book, has at least one route (Hummingbird Ridge on Logan) that only has one successful ascent- ever. So by that standard, Robson should be there, no?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 50 Classic Climbs book, which served as the inspiration for the ski descent book, has at least one route (Hummingbird Ridge on Logan) that only has one successful ascent- ever. So by that standard, Robson should be there, no?
    A few rarities in the climbing book. Middle Triple, Hummingbird. And some other solid challenges in AK and Canada I think. Having ski equivalents is very fitting.

Anchorage AK front range classic. Ptarmigan peak S couloir. Pic is probably late May or June.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post

Anchorage AK front range classic. Ptarmigan peak S couloir. Pic is probably late May or June.
    seconded

I have skied in Alaska for 20 years, I had never heard of University Peak until the book came out. I would put the S couloir in front of that. I've honestly never met or heard of anyone skiing it. Also how is St. Elias which has been skied like twice on the list? S couloir is big, classic, accessible and gets skied on the regular. How can mountains that never get skied or that the locals have to google be classics?

Also for your consideration:
    North Face of Pioneer Peak
    aka Grand Teton north
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Have you skied Landry?
    Looked down it.
    Don't have the stones.

Made me nervous even hearing Alka describe skiing the sporty part ..

Huge props to anyone who's skied that. Beautiful, badass line.

The area saw a lot of traffic the past week or so.

Chugachjed already mention Pioneer Peak and I believe several folks are already booking flights to anchorage.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post

I have skied in Alaska for 20 years, I had never heard of University Peak until the book came out. I would put the S couloir in front of that. I've honestly never met or heard of anyone skiing it. Also how is St. Elias which has been skied like twice on the list? S couloir is big, classic, accessible and gets skied on the regular. How can mountains that never get skied or that the locals have to google be classics?
    Really dude? Many a heavy hitter has given University a try- it's a highly sought-after descent, and has been for decades. And St Elias is one of the world's most badass mountains with that kind of vertical relief straight from the ocean.

I remember seeing b-rad a few weeks after his attempt on university. He was humbled and in awe. His warm up runs in the area (many were first descents) sounded awesome.

Really dude? Many a heavy hitter has given University a try- it's a highly sought-after descent, and has been for decades. And St Elias is one of the world's most badass mountains with that kind of vertical relief straight from the ocean.
    Should those descents be in the same book at Tuckermans Ravine and Mt. Superior? St. Elias was first skied like a decade ago, calling it a classic is like calling The Goo Goo Dolls classic rock. I don't know the history of University Peak (obviously) but among the list of objectives in Alaska... Which is endless... Why this one? (I'm guessing because Chris Davenport skied it and wants to brag?) Are they both amazing cool mountains that are super badass and I want no part of of (I once spent 5 days at the base of St. Elias when it rained 13 inches)? Sure. Should they be among the 50 classic ski descents of North America? I'm not sure, 50 most badass? Probably. 50 classics in Alaska? Sure.

Might I add another nomination that I would put ahead of St. Elias and University... Definitely on the 51
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I agree how the fuck is St Elias on the same list as tuckermans ravine. Literally everything in the anchorage front range is radder than tucks. Here’s S couloir today. Which interestingly is on the North side of the mountain. Also I wouldn’t book a flight to ski pioneer this year. It is not in.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Read the intro to the book... he decided to include various regions to make it fun instead of some stupid ranked list. It’s not 50 best, it’s just 50 classics. You guys can put your dicks away already.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

And since the validity of certain selections and the criteria for selection is being discussed I'll chime in with this; the list is very American centric.