Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: The Fifty One?

due south of palmer,ak
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

The McDonald's arch and then that beautiful mountain make for quite a contrast. Heh. And yeah, that looks scary.

We had a beauty of a view on Pioneer on a drive back from Talkeetna a few years back. No sight of Denali that morning, but pretty cool to see Pioneer jutting vertically off the mud plains as we came back down

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2d8530c2dfb3662edcb25d48e5e80d3d.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	322.6 KB 
ID:	278580
    [not my photo, but another great view of it]

First, this thread is so awesome, and pretty different from the fifty thread, so bumping. No complaints right?!
    And second, a lot of debate on the high and low ends of the list, naturally - ie, can the super gnar be a classic if only a handful have skied, and is a roadside attractions skied by 10's of thousands legit enough? I say yes to both, but one guy's opinion
    On the roadside end of things, in CO at least, I'd prob sub out Buffalo-Silver for Torreys-Emperor (way more line vert than Dead Dog), since still visible (barely) from I70 but a 14er summit ski, pretty damn aesthetic. But Silver is great and is right in the heart of ski country USA
    And then if CO Front Range were to get one (moving past Torreys)... Dragons Tail in RMNP seems pretty damn classic, but prob gets dinged for no summit start. Longs-Keplingers would prob be my vote given Longs prominence and history + almost 6k feet of vertical. Not fully in very often, but a couple groups just skied it the other day!
    And some of those other submissions like Grey Wolf are just so bad@ss, thanks for sharing!

Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Good bump. Best thread on TGR. I re-read the University Peak TR and was tickled to be reminded that it was skied on Hojis and Spirit 4s.

Great bump, I've definitely come full circle on what I consider a classic and my thoughts on other people's list. All I know is you gotta ski what inspires you, and dear lord, does this book and the Cody's fifty series inspire people. Fun re-reading though this thread.

Wishing Cody, Bjarne, Nick Russell and Dan Corn the best of luck as they are up on St Elias right now and hopefully kicking ass!

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Great bump, I've definitely come full circle on what I consider a classic and my thoughts on other people's list. All I know is you gotta ski what inspires you, and dear lord, does this book and the Cody's fifty series inspire people. Fun re-reading though this thread.

Wishing Cody, Bjarne, Nick Russell and Dan Corn the best of luck as they are up on St Elias right now and hopefully kicking ass!
    if they are up there now they are getting their asses kicked
    off your knees Louie

This is a really interesting nps post, thanks for sharing...
    - First, very honest and lacking in agency-speak
    - Is this the Denali equivalent to sprinters showing up at all the trailheads?
    - Several Colorado references, basically like "just cuz you did some 14ers, doesnt mean you can show up and climb denali"
    - And lots more people trying for a messner couloir ski, probably somewhat the result of inspiration from The Fifty
    - Speaking of 14ers, managed to get keplingers up/down the backside of Longs Peak done... this line sometimes never comes in during a year, but with all the late season snow (and concentrated up north) it's going on week 2 or 3 of skiability; such a cool line off the summit of such an iconic peak deserves a spot in the 51-100 list!
    Name:  kep smaller.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  505.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    if they are up there now they are getting their asses kicked
    Yes. Asses were kicked but a great, grand, hell of a fucking adventure was had too. So I call it a win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Yes. Asses were kicked but a great, grand, hell of a fucking adventure was had too. So I call it a win-win.
    Nice work dude who I live vicariously through. Hey, if you ever get up here skiing again I bet there's a cool line off Atna and Weeskinisht. Howsen doesn't go, but I bet you could send the other two. Oh, you can keep the finders fee. My gift to you sir.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    That one time in a snowcave......
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.