Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    DPS Wailer A112 184s with Tectons and Technica ZG TPs could be my everyday skis
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Have you guys heard of cross country skiing? You should try it. The best way I can describe it skinning without skins.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Have you guys heard of cross country skiing? You should try it. The best way I can describe it skinning without skins.
    I know. Maybe I’m spoiled in that my little town has the largest cross country ski network in N. America but skate skiing is actually pretty fucking fun. Kedar can go too. One trail head connects to the gazillion miles of skate skiing and has a pretty good BC run so I throw both shit in the car and sometimes do both.

Also I do outreach at trail heads to tell people about an avalanche control website, and out of the 300 people I meet in a day,(Sunday, popular spot), maybe 50 know about avalanche stuff.

The general public just doesn’t know shit.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Where are you at that has a bigger XC trail network than anchorage. That’s gotta be nuts. Oh and fuck xc skiing. Hate that shit.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

For the love of Ullr stop skiing your low tech bindings at the resort!

I love skiing. XC with the hound almost every day. Rather hit the park trails in/out to a hut with the family any day over the ass raping at the local major resort. In fact, haven’t bought a single dh pass yet this season, just BC with the sled (or just the sled - more faceshots). The little one hasn’t been on dh sticks yet this year, but is already ahead of me at her age, no tears there. To the OP, if I for some reason care to bring the BC kit to the hill because I’m tinkering with the lift-served gear, take your judgement of me skiing the way I am, not interfering with your shit in any way, and shove it where even Ullr dare not go.

So if tech binders are a no go, are we allowed to step down to non releasable bindings but fully flexible soled ankle high xc boot setups?

Free the heel and free the full shank sole.

Also fwiw; dunno what the deal is with folks tearing out toepieces...i've tested tech bindings on mounting plates attached to skis with two layers of heated and clamped overnight double sided carpet tape and they didn't fall off. Haven't heard of any substantial numbers at my home mountain where prolly 30 percent of total skiers are on tech binding setups charging everything in sight. Kinda kept a finger on the pulse of things...a few heel piece explosions, some broken toepieces and one broken tib/fib specifically attributed to tech binding non release/specific motion fall...over the past half a decade or so afaik. Acceptable numbers.

Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Where are you at that has a bigger XC trail network than anchorage. That’s gotta be nuts. Oh and fuck xc skiing. Hate that shit.
    https://www.methowtrails.org
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    ...there's an abundance of easily accessed, safe terrain holding good, stable snow that's immediately adjacent to the ski hill. Not to mention a whole bunch of more interesting terrain not far away...
    I'm not sure I'm aware of the area that you're talking about (adjacent to the mountain), but if you're game, I'd love to get a tour (see what I did there) one of these days. When do you typically go?

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    but can I wear my skin suit in the resort, or...?
    Is your name Buffalo Bill?

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I'm not sure I'm aware of the area that you're talking about (adjacent to the mountain), but if you're game, I'd love to get a tour (see what I did there) one of these days. When do you typically go?

Seth
    Pm'd you

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I don't really give a shit what other people decide to ski on but isn't this pretty common in euro land?
    I’ve been skiing in resorts around Innsbruck this week. I’ve seen many many sets of pin bindings being used on lifts.

To the OP. Based on the age of some of the Dynafit bindings I’ve seen being used on lifts this week, I would say that there doesn’t seem to be a problem with them pulling out of skis. Maybe us Europeans are lighter than you Americans? Maybe we know not to lock the toes on ‘groomers’? Maybe we are better at mounting skis? ;-)

I'm working on countersinking dynafit toe pin cups into my actual feet for ultralight touring. Was planning on testing inbounds but now self-consciously reconsidering...hmmm....

No no no, you have to use a 3 pin binding.

How the fuck are you going to carve slots in your heel bones for the posts???

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    No no no, you have to use a 3 pin binding.

How the fuck are you going to carve slots in your heel bones for the posts???
    Dremel?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dremel?

I use a drill press. Don't want the bit wandering onto my achilles.

For the love of Ullr stop skiing your low tech bindings at the resort!

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    As someone who has ripped multiple dynafit toe pieces out of skis by skiing them inbounds, I think this thread might be onto something.
    Sames

Anyone here got experience doing a burlier tech binding like the beast for a 70/30 BC/resort set up?

Quote Originally Posted by sheel44 View Post
    Anyone here got experience doing a burlier tech binding like the beast for a 70/30 BC/resort set up?
    I've been running beast14s on my RPCs inbounds for the last 2-3 years. They have worked well for me - no pre-releases. I don't think they ski quite as well as the Lord SPs I had on there previously, but not not much worse. Noticeably better than the Radical 2.0s I can also run on those same skis (inserts for both).

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Seth

I've been running beast14s on my RPCs inbounds for the last 2-3 years. They have worked well for me - no pre-releases. I don't think they ski quite as well as the Lord SPs I had on there previously, but not not much worse. Noticeably better than the Radical 2.0s I can also run on those same skis (inserts for both).
    Aren't the toe pieces the same on the Beast 14 as on the Rad 2.0? If so, then is the improved ski "feel" entirely from the heelpiece?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Aren't the toe pieces the same on the Beast 14 as on the Rad 2.0? If so, then is the improved ski "feel" entirely from the heelpiece?
    Yes, they are same toe, different heel.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I believe Black Crows with tech bindings has replaced DPS with tech bindings as the setup of choice for the shockingly bad skier on touring gear in the resort.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Guilty

15-20" of blower today. Deepest day of the season so far. Still a fair number of people hiking up the groomer (that wasn't groomed) all day, while the lifts were turning. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by sheel44 View Post
    This might have been discussed a couple of hundred times before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Yes and yes, I believe so. The beast binding feels much more planted and solid.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    15-20" of blower today. Deepest day of the season so far. Still a fair number of people hiking up the groomer (that wasn't groomed) all day, while the lifts were turning. I don't get it.
    Glad I was working today...

How cold?

Seth