Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Not disputing the generalization, however. Black Crows, despite looking flashy and being a trendy brand at the moment, do indeed make some very nice skis.....
    So does DPS. No one says otherwise. It's the bozos that can't get out of the backseat that think they need a $1200 ski to get better when what they need is a fucking lesson and about 100 days of skiing lots of vertical inbounds.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    The newer burlier? Kingpins? You are surely joking. They fail regularly.

Imo, the burliest tech binding is the Salomon mtn. And the simplest. And the easiest to use.
    I don't know what the Salomon mtn is, but I don't pay that much attention to tech binding changes year over year.

I thought the Kingpin was stronger than the older Dynafits that suspend your heel by the pins. IDK. I don't have any. The burly tech ones I have are Beasts, mostly because they were on sale and reportedly strong enough to handle inbounds, so I could use them for a travel ski for both resort and BC.

I've never broken any tech bindings so YMMV. I skied a season or two on Vertical ST on Sanouks as a pow ski, inbounds and BC, and didn't die.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The number of people hiking uphill inbounds on any given day at the local resort is kind of ridiculous. There's easily accessible, good, stable pow to be skied just out of bounds. But for whatever reason, none of them go there. They hike up the groomer, ski back down the groomer, and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The number of people hiking uphill inbounds on any given day at the local resort is kind of ridiculous. There's easily accessible, good, stable pow to be skied just out of bounds. But for whatever reason, none of them go there. They hike up the groomer, ski back down the groomer, and leave.
    It's like Cross Country Racers that ride up a gravel road and then back down it as opposed to taking the trails down... you know, training

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

5 or 6 years ago, I saw a guy skiing inbounds on hellbents with dynafits. I laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    It's like Cross Country Racers that ride up a gravel road and then back down it as opposed to taking the trails down... you know, training

I saw your reply saying it was like road bikers, and I was like WTF?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Shit, is it worse that my navis freebies match my jacket, and beenie? To be honest I bought them because I denied about 6 or seven pairs of ski’s and they fit my mellow, mediocre skiing. Like Tahoe J said, black crowd makes nice skis, and their touring line is pretty forgiving which could be a selling point for gorilla stance skiers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I saw your reply saying it was like road bikers, and I was like WTF?
    Yeah, I hadn't had coffee yet and not all the synapses were firing in the brain. As soon as I posted it, I was like that makes no sense at all.

For the love of Ullr stop skiing your low tech bindings at the resort!

^^^^^ I think you have your analogy backwards. Are you saying the climbing gym is the BC and the resort is the outdoor climbing? Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    I often see them solo, not with a group or even any others. Snowplowing their way down the run, looking terrified. Or doing the jong turn-their-whole-body-across-the-fall-line beginner turn stuff. Makes me wonder how these people ski in the BC, or if they’re only in it for the “up” and being fit.
    I’ve known a few folks who picked up touring before being a downhill skier. They tended to ski better off piste. Some would buy a day ticket or pass, so they could work on their downhill technique. They always smoked me on the up. Same dudes also like long cycling trips in summer. It is about the sufferfest for some. Skiing is just what they do to get back to the bottom so they can climb again.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    So does DPS.
    I’m sure you’re right and I’ll have to take your word for it. I’ve only been on Wailer 112’s and *hated* the rocker profile.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Fitness laps with actual vert in non-avy terrain are better than nothing when you can't find a partner. Personally, I think uphill access policies are a great thing.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

As someone who has ripped multiple dynafit toe pieces out of skis by skiing them inbounds, I think this thread might be onto something. However, the newer ones seem burlier, and with wider hole patterns. Still though, I mostly just hate skiing my AT skis inbounds. Shifts are the way to go now.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Fitness laps with actual vert in non-avy terrain are better than nothing when you can't find a partner. Personally, I think uphill access policies are a great thing.
    Solo grape smuggling expeditions in lieu of going to the gym make sense, sort of. But a healthy majority of the people I see hiking inbounds are in groups. And I know that plenty of them have all the requisite gear and skills to walk around in the backcountry.

Skiing tech bindings inbounds seems like it can cause a fair amount of back pain for some, especially older, people. Hence the shit technique.
    S7's with tech bindings was fairly standard for some of the old dudes at Snowbowl for a minute. It looks like they switched to something more appropriate lately. And probably less painful.

But a healthy majority of the people I see hiking inbounds are in groups. And I know that plenty of them have all the requisite gear and skills to walk around in the backcountry.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Gotta get your fitness...fitness dick in yo mouth! But for real, I often get too lazy to schlep my gear from work to the hill so I'll end up skiing in touring gear sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    Shit, is it worse that my navis freebies match my jacket, and beenie? To be honest I bought them because I denied about 6 or seven pairs of ski’s and they fit my mellow, mediocre skiing. Like Tahoe J said, black crowd makes nice skis, and their touring line is pretty forgiving which could be a selling point for gorilla stance skiers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I read the first sentence and laughed. Then I read the second and thought, jesus christ, he’s serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

They opened the hike up the head wall at Alyeska yesterday. At the top there’s a small space to put skis on and head out the traverse, there’s a long continuous line of people standing still on the booter while the guy two people in front of me fights with his tectons for minutes. Eventually I pushed past and got skis on and traversed out. I was 3/4 of the way out the almost uphill traverse before dude started going. Fuck that guy.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

There's also this-

https://dodgeskiboots.com/chairlift-...ring-bindings/

I read somewhere, (maybe it;'s in vid, haven't watched it lately) but can't find it now that tibial plateau fractures(much worse injury than tip fib mid shaft fracture) with lots of little bone chips are occurring with inbounds tech binding use.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    There's also this-

https://dodgeskiboots.com/chairlift-...ring-bindings/

I read somewhere, (maybe it;'s in vid, haven't watched it lately) but can't find it now that tibial plateau fractures(much worse injury than tip fib mid shaft fracture) with lots of little bone chips are occurring with inbounds tech binding use.
    Theoretically they are right. That's how the forces would work without lateral release at the toe. (Funny they never mention that lateral release at the heel is theoretically safer for acls -- aka the Knee binding.)

Thing is, there is no evidence from skiers themselves of this happening more or less frequently.

Based on the theory alone I feel better skiing alpine bindings inbounds. Or at least Vipecs.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    quality fucking lesson aren’t cheap
    This took me a moment pre-coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Theoretically they are right. That's how the forces would work without lateral release at the toe. (Funny they never mention that lateral release at the heel is theoretically safer for acls -- aka the Knee binding.)

Thing is, there is no evidence from skiers themselves of this happening more or less frequently.

Based on the theory alone I feel better skiing alpine bindings inbounds. Or at least Vipecs.
    Yes theoretically , lateral release at heel is safer for ACLs, but in real life do tech bindings actually provide this function? Who knows.
    Rabbit hole-
    https://www.wildsnow.com/15123/tech-...cl-broken-leg/

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    dave wouldn’t mention these bindings by name but he even admits that the Vipec & Tecton functionally are closer to an alpine binder than a low tech with regards to safety. i tell you from my shit ton of days of skiing these inbounds, the Tecton ski more like an alpine than a low tech pinner. ymmv
    Agree about the Tecton, but I still don't think I'd want to hammer them inbounds all season. Pow days only, perhaps would be fine.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    aint so much of a rabbit hole as lou and his fart sniffing cadre of e- gabbers
    babblin about safety of skiing
    when the joe mad bro will simply tell you
    "TRY NOT TO SUCK"
    bro
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Solo grape smuggling expeditions in lieu of going to the gym make sense, sort of. But a healthy majority of the people I see hiking inbounds are in groups. And I know that plenty of them have all the requisite gear and skills to walk around in the backcountry.
    This odd inbounds hiking is a good thing in my mind. More healthy people walking around and more users funding touring gear R&D without more users in the easy access backcountry. It's like the public transportation of skiing, if everyone else does it, my quality of life goes up. And if they're patronizing local ski shops and donating some money to NWAC or whatever, holy shit it's a dream scenario.