Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 210
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8,203

    Guerilla Gravity- now Carbon made in USA- 300% stronger, cheaper

    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/gueril...ailpistol.html

    GG switching front triangle to carbon, rear will still be AL. Some interesting other details too.

    As an owner of an older aluminum Megatrail which I love, I am a little surprised by the switch, but their process seems solid. They are claiming 300% stronger due to using a different resin, and keeping their price point lower than most competitors. I'll probably let some other early adopters test them out for a year or two before I buy one though.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Magically whisked away to...Delaware
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/gueril...ailpistol.html

    GG switching front triangle to carbon, rear will still be AL. Some interesting other details too.

    As an owner of an older aluminum Megatrail which I love, I am a little surprised by the switch, but their process seems solid. They are claiming 300% stronger due to using a different resin, and keeping their price point lower than most competitors. I'll probably let some other early adopters test them out for a year or two before I buy one though.
    i'm a little skeptical of some of the rah-rah claims, but GG has moved to the front of the pack for my next bike. Cool company for sure.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

    No thanks. I'll stick with porn. - Benny

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,583
    Carbon aside, I think the general premise of having one front triangle and changing the rear triangle to significantly alter the bike is a good one. Let's you have two very different bikes for the price of a rear triangle and a fork.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Magically whisked away to...Delaware
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Carbon aside, I think the general premise of having one front triangle and changing the rear triangle to significantly alter the bike is a good one. Let's you have two very different bikes for the price of a rear triangle and a fork.
    and shock.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

    No thanks. I'll stick with porn. - Benny

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    8,583
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    and shock.
    Yeah. Although I'm under the impression that some configurations share a shock size.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,463
    I contacted them about their process and got this from their media kit

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	framemaker3000.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	267612


    Not 300% stronger, 300% more impact resistant. Because science. And whiskey
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    8,256
    Looks like there's a 5mm stroke difference for same-length shocks.

    Also looks like you have some choice in chainstay length. Shred chainstays with Megatrail seatstays, for example.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    8,256
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	framemaker3000.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	267612


    Not 300% stronger, 300% more impact resistant. Because science. And whiskey
    Does it produce or consume Unicorn farts?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8,203
    So there's a drunk unicorn in the framemaker 3000, and I would have thought that they'd use Leopold Brother's whiskey. Keep it local bra!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NAZ
    Posts
    475
    Definitely interesting to see someone make a USA-made carbon bike for a reasonable price. Although I'll miss the ability to buy a USA-made bike for $3000 now that they've seemingly discontinued the aluminum line. 6.5lb frame isn't exactly light but I get that's not what they're going for either.
    It sucks to suck.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,463
    The frames look like they drop about a pound from aluminum ones. Most plastic bikes I've ridden (the good ones at least that don't sound like popping fibers in g-outs) seem about that realm.

    They've still got some aluminum bikes in stock. I asked. Act now.


    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Does it produce or consume Unicorn farts?
    That's the big question isn't it? Patent pending. Mystery for now.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    828
    Getting a little tired of these unsupported claims X% stronger! Y% lighter! With our amazing new resin we increased rigidity by Z% and 300% more impact resistant cutting 3.1 seconds off your Strava time even after you smash into a tree! Then sell it after 2 seasons because it's now outdated. Here's what I think:



    Or you can spend that money on a custom steel frame from a US builder and have it for 10+ years.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Or you can spend that money on a custom steel frame from a US builder and have it for 10+ years.

    go nuts

    https://ridegg.com/pedalhead
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,359
    Is the 300% more impact resistant claim legit? I dunno, but the GG guys are definitely the type of riders that break bikes so I'm pretty sure they're not going to produce a flimsy POS.

    6.5lb is a full pound lighter than a Transition carbon frame (a company with a similar suspension design and similarly known for being burly frames).
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,463
    The 300% stuff is from the material/process specs, not them just making shit up.

    It's not the same epoxy layup as conventional carbon fiber so it doesn't chip like that, and doesn't fatigue the same way. There's not a company out there that hates bike industry marketing BS as much as those guys so they're not going to just pull something out of their ass like that. They save that for the model names.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Get your rip off Motorhead logo out of here...That frame is fugly-looking!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    rip off Motorhead logo
    You might not want to look at the other model names. That's kind of their thing.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    8,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Or you can spend that money on a custom steel frame from a US builder and have it for 10+ years.
    I did that. I broke it in the first year.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    13,935
    I'm curious to read real-world reviews on the practicality and usefulness of switching rear triangles (and shock, and fork) to have multiple bikes with one front triangle. It's pretty sweet in concept, but will anyone take advantage of it in the real world? If it works, then it's a pretty great idea by GG since they'll have customers buying into a "system" and not just a single bike.

    That said, if it's too much of a PITA to swap over (ie., if it's something that requires special tools or if it's more than the average rider can handle in their home shop), then it's just another cool concept without much merit. I hope it's the former, as it's a super cool idea and I'd love to see the GG kill it in the coming years.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,359
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm curious to read real-world reviews on the practicality and usefulness of switching rear triangles (and shock, and fork) to have multiple bikes with one front triangle. It's pretty sweet in concept, but will anyone take advantage of it in the real world? If it works, then it's a pretty great idea by GG since they'll have customers buying into a "system" and not just a single bike.

    That said, if it's too much of a PITA to swap over (ie., if it's something that requires special tools or if it's more than the average rider can handle in their home shop), then it's just another cool concept without much merit. I hope it's the former, as it's a super cool idea and I'd love to see the GG kill it in the coming years.
    The swap requires 5mm and 6mm allen wrenches. That's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,463
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm curious to read real-world reviews on the practicality and usefulness of switching rear triangles (and shock, and fork) to have multiple bikes with one front triangle. It's pretty sweet in concept, but will anyone take advantage of it in the real world? If it works, then it's a pretty great idea by GG since they'll have customers buying into a "system" and not just a single bike.

    That said, if it's too much of a PITA to swap over (ie., if it's something that requires special tools or if it's more than the average rider can handle in their home shop), then it's just another cool concept without much merit. I hope it's the former, as it's a super cool idea and I'd love to see the GG kill it in the coming years.
    Switching rear triangles requires some specialty tools: allen wrenches. Make sure you're trained.

    This isn't new, the frames they've been making the last 3 years have been the same front triangle with the same interchanging rears. They just didn't advertise it.

    Also, specialized used to do this with their frames in the late 90s early 2000s. I made some interesting half breeds. Intense was similar too.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,915
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I did that. I broke it in the first year.
    Then I had it fixed.

    And it broke again.


  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Magically whisked away to...Delaware
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Also, specialized used to do this with their frames in the late 90s early 2000s. I made some interesting half breeds.
    ...and now.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

    No thanks. I'll stick with porn. - Benny

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    594
    Kudos for innovation on something where everyone else in the industry is just following the herd and making carbon frames in china, etc and "innovating" by inventing different wheel spacings to make it hard to buy parts for a 2 year old bike.

    Stuff like this eventually leads to better, and lower cost bikes.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Trouserville
    Posts
    14,463
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    ...and now.
    Really? Like you can switch triangles or links between a stumpjumper and enduro?

    Bout damn time.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •