Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Guerilla Gravity- now Carbon made in USA- 300% stronger, cheaper

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/gueril...ailpistol.html

GG switching front triangle to carbon, rear will still be AL. Some interesting other details too.

As an owner of an older aluminum Megatrail which I love, I am a little surprised by the switch, but their process seems solid. They are claiming 300% stronger due to using a different resin, and keeping their price point lower than most competitors. I'll probably let some other early adopters test them out for a year or two before I buy one though.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/gueril...ailpistol.html

GG switching front triangle to carbon, rear will still be AL. Some interesting other details too.

As an owner of an older aluminum Megatrail which I love, I am a little surprised by the switch, but their process seems solid. They are claiming 300% stronger due to using a different resin, and keeping their price point lower than most competitors. I'll probably let some other early adopters test them out for a year or two before I buy one though.
    i'm a little skeptical of some of the rah-rah claims, but GG has moved to the front of the pack for my next bike. Cool company for sure.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Carbon aside, I think the general premise of having one front triangle and changing the rear triangle to significantly alter the bike is a good one. Let's you have two very different bikes for the price of a rear triangle and a fork.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Carbon aside, I think the general premise of having one front triangle and changing the rear triangle to significantly alter the bike is a good one. Let's you have two very different bikes for the price of a rear triangle and a fork.
    and shock.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    and shock.
    Yeah. Although I'm under the impression that some configurations share a shock size.

I contacted them about their process and got this from their media kit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	framemaker3000.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	267612

Not 300% stronger, 300% more impact resistant. Because science. And whiskey
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Looks like there's a 5mm stroke difference for same-length shocks.

Also looks like you have some choice in chainstay length. Shred chainstays with Megatrail seatstays, for example.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	framemaker3000.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	267612

Not 300% stronger, 300% more impact resistant. Because science. And whiskey
    Does it produce or consume Unicorn farts?

So there's a drunk unicorn in the framemaker 3000, and I would have thought that they'd use Leopold Brother's whiskey. Keep it local bra!

Definitely interesting to see someone make a USA-made carbon bike for a reasonable price. Although I'll miss the ability to buy a USA-made bike for $3000 now that they've seemingly discontinued the aluminum line. 6.5lb frame isn't exactly light but I get that's not what they're going for either.
    It sucks to suck.

The frames look like they drop about a pound from aluminum ones. Most plastic bikes I've ridden (the good ones at least that don't sound like popping fibers in g-outs) seem about that realm.

They've still got some aluminum bikes in stock. I asked. Act now.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Does it produce or consume Unicorn farts?
    That's the big question isn't it? Patent pending. Mystery for now.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Getting a little tired of these unsupported claims X% stronger! Y% lighter! With our amazing new resin we increased rigidity by Z% and 300% more impact resistant cutting 3.1 seconds off your Strava time even after you smash into a tree! Then sell it after 2 seasons because it's now outdated. Here's what I think:

Or you can spend that money on a custom steel frame from a US builder and have it for 10+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Or you can spend that money on a custom steel frame from a US builder and have it for 10+ years.

go nuts

https://ridegg.com/pedalhead

Is the 300% more impact resistant claim legit? I dunno, but the GG guys are definitely the type of riders that break bikes so I'm pretty sure they're not going to produce a flimsy POS.

6.5lb is a full pound lighter than a Transition carbon frame (a company with a similar suspension design and similarly known for being burly frames).

The 300% stuff is from the material/process specs, not them just making shit up.

It's not the same epoxy layup as conventional carbon fiber so it doesn't chip like that, and doesn't fatigue the same way. There's not a company out there that hates bike industry marketing BS as much as those guys so they're not going to just pull something out of their ass like that. They save that for the model names.

Get your rip off Motorhead logo out of here...That frame is fugly-looking!

rip off Motorhead logo
    You might not want to look at the other model names. That's kind of their thing.

I did that. I broke it in the first year.

I'm curious to read real-world reviews on the practicality and usefulness of switching rear triangles (and shock, and fork) to have multiple bikes with one front triangle. It's pretty sweet in concept, but will anyone take advantage of it in the real world? If it works, then it's a pretty great idea by GG since they'll have customers buying into a "system" and not just a single bike.

That said, if it's too much of a PITA to swap over (ie., if it's something that requires special tools or if it's more than the average rider can handle in their home shop), then it's just another cool concept without much merit. I hope it's the former, as it's a super cool idea and I'd love to see the GG kill it in the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm curious to read real-world reviews on the practicality and usefulness of switching rear triangles (and shock, and fork) to have multiple bikes with one front triangle. It's pretty sweet in concept, but will anyone take advantage of it in the real world? If it works, then it's a pretty great idea by GG since they'll have customers buying into a "system" and not just a single bike.

That said, if it's too much of a PITA to swap over (ie., if it's something that requires special tools or if it's more than the average rider can handle in their home shop), then it's just another cool concept without much merit. I hope it's the former, as it's a super cool idea and I'd love to see the GG kill it in the coming years.
    The swap requires 5mm and 6mm allen wrenches. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post

Switching rear triangles requires some specialty tools: allen wrenches. Make sure you're trained.

This isn't new, the frames they've been making the last 3 years have been the same front triangle with the same interchanging rears. They just didn't advertise it.

Also, specialized used to do this with their frames in the late 90s early 2000s. I made some interesting half breeds. Intense was similar too.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I did that. I broke it in the first year.
    Then I had it fixed.

And it broke again.

Also, specialized used to do this with their frames in the late 90s early 2000s. I made some interesting half breeds.
    ...and now.

Kudos for innovation on something where everyone else in the industry is just following the herd and making carbon frames in china, etc and "innovating" by inventing different wheel spacings to make it hard to buy parts for a 2 year old bike.

Stuff like this eventually leads to better, and lower cost bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    ...and now.
    Really? Like you can switch triangles or links between a stumpjumper and enduro?

Bout damn time.